My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Get updates on how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy by signing up to the Mumsnet Pregnancy Newsletters.

Pregnancy

Ardo Calypso double or Spectra S1

6 replies

KinderWild · 27/03/2021 21:40

I have narrowed it down to either the ardo Calypso or the spectra S1. I am wanting to do a mix of breastfeeding and expressed feeding.
I like the double pumps - seems efficient and the fact these are both closed systems.
I imagine it's unlikely that anyone has had both and can give me a direct comparison (excellent if someone has!), But looking for views from people who have owned either of these breast pumps and a hand with deciding between the two! Thanks!

OP posts:
KinderWild · 28/03/2021 12:23

Bump

OP posts:
treesall · 28/03/2021 14:31

I had an ardo calypso double and found it to be pretty good. I never produced loads of milk from pumping - generally 30mls was the most I'd get at any time, so someone who had a bigger flow / supply might m have a different experience.

I started with with a medela swing but didn't get on with it - I'd sit there for ages and get only a few mls. I had a struggle with low supply so rented a hospital grade machine for a month and pumped like mad. (Can't remember what model that one was). I then bought the ardo calypso. I didn't find much difference in what I produced between the calypso and hospital grade pump.

I also had an Elvie but didn't get a vast amount out with it. The thing I had most success with was a suction pump (Hakka) which I used on the other side whilst feeding.

Flappityflippers1 · 28/03/2021 14:36

I have actually used both, although I can’t remember the ardo that much

I had the Ardo Calypso with my eldest on loan, and now with my second have bought the spectra S1.

I personally much prefer the spectra - I find the cycles work well and the built in nightlight is perfect (I am exclusively pumping though so the nightlight is fab for the 12 and 3 am pumps, appreciate not everyone needs that)

I find the spectra more “intuitive” to use, I never really liked the ardo and tended to use my medela single which was quicker doing both boobs singularly than the ardo double.

I also found the ardo noisy, and felt cheap and clunky. My spectra sounds like one of the cats purring!

boymum88 · 28/03/2021 15:37

I exclusively pumped for my 1ds and used a Medela swing, after reading such great things I have got my self a spectra s1 ready for this baby, what Eva pump u go for make sure the nipple shields/ flanges are the correct size for ur nipples as this can greatly impact output.

Flappityflippers1 · 28/03/2021 15:39

Agree with @boymum88 - my right side flange was perfect and been getting great amounts there. My left side was too small despite measuring for 21mm. Had to use 28mm which was a bit better while waiting for the 24mm one to arrive. It came yesterday and getting double the amount on my left now! Flanges make a huge difference

Also - lube the flange! Makes it way more comfortable!

user1493413286 · 28/03/2021 15:42

I had the calypso and really liked it.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.