My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Get updates on how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy by signing up to the Mumsnet Pregnancy Newsletters.

Pregnancy

Compression Socks / Stockings

12 replies

kittehkatkitteh · 06/09/2015 06:31

I'm 6 weeks going on 7. I'll be flying off this thursday and would like to know if i really really really need to wear compression socks/stockings. My flight would be about 17hrs or so.

OP posts:
Topsy34 · 06/09/2015 08:00

Personally i would, ive done a few long haul not pregnant and had puffy ankles.

WhoTheFuckIsSimon · 06/09/2015 08:01

As a midwife I would say yes. I know it's early on but your physiology changes early and puts you at more risk, and the flight is really long. Have a nice time.

kittehkatkitteh · 06/09/2015 08:15

Thank you so much for your kind replies. I shall go ahead to purchase one.

OP posts:
Brummiegirl15 · 06/09/2015 08:33

Absolutely you should.

I bought some yesterday in Boots

scarednoob · 06/09/2015 09:08

Yes - I'm stuck in hospital being monitored at the moment for an early induction or c section (stupid GD!!) but as I didn't need a drip, I can come and go a bit during the day. So I queried why I needed the stockings if I could walk around normally and the dr said you are more prone to clotting etc when pregnant.

I know they're gross - if I were you, I'd take 2 pairs for each trip, then change if your feet start to feel a bit cheesy!!!

Brummiegirl15 · 06/09/2015 12:24

I got thick black ones from Boots so they are just like proper socks (admittedly knee high!) rather than horrible stockings

Heavenscent86 · 06/09/2015 17:15

Do you need this for a short haul flight too? I'm flying to Paris (only about an hour and a half) at 5 months pregnant.

ThePug · 06/09/2015 18:25

I'm currently 13+5 and flying to Stockholm this week and in 2 weeks to the US. I'm under consultant care and at my appointment last week asked the high risk senior obstetrician I see fortnightly about this. She said they weren't necessary and I should just make sure I wiggle my ankles/walk around when possible. I am taking 75mg aspirin daily though which she said was a good thing.

Heavenscent86 · 06/09/2015 19:49

Ok perhaps I won't need them then. After all it's a pretty short flight.

Bejeena · 06/09/2015 20:37

Inglewhite from Australia to UK at 6 weeks and didn't use them, in fact I went on to fly all through my pregnancy and didn't use them. But there is no harm in getting them if you want them, how have you been whilst flying before? I never had issues so didn't bother

Donnakim · 06/09/2015 20:43

My first job when I left school was working for Scholl... I have been wearing compression socks/stockings since I got my BFP! I would definitely wear them if you are going to be at that long. (It's just annoying paying for the things when I used to have an unlimited supply of freebies from the rejects)

kittehkatkitteh · 07/09/2015 11:31

Thanks for helping me decide :) Just bought one pair of knee length compression socks from the pharmacy :)

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.