My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Is your child ready for potty training at nursery? Here's the place for all your toilet training questions.

Potty training

Portable potty!

20 replies

Whathefisgoingon · 06/05/2023 10:45

We are on day 3 of what I believe to be the oh crap method. Haven’t read any books, just went by advice on here.

He’s done all his wee’s and poo’s in the potty with 1 accident whilst in the garden.

Tomorrow we are venturing out (I’m climbing the walls inside!!) and I’ve asked DP to pick up one of those carry potty’s on the way back from work. It feels like a lot of money (£30) on a portable potty but presumably this is just what you do? The public toilet situation where I am is shocking with most of them closed due to lack of cleaners, and I can’t see my son accepting a wee or poo in the bushes, as feral as he is.

How long did you use your portable potty for? I feel like the whole idea of the 3 day method is just getting it all over and done with quickly, I don’t want to prolong the potty (rather than actual toilet) by buying this themed carry one though!

OP posts:
Skybluepinky · 06/05/2023 11:07

Never used a potty straight on the toilet, stayed at home for the first week as that’s what most HV suggest.
If they don’t drink squash and they r ready to toilet train they should be able to hold it whilst u clean the toilet when u r out.

Newuser82 · 06/05/2023 11:10

We had a portable potty for a while as used to do very long car journeys regularly. Hardly ever had to use it as both mine were very good at holding it but it was there if we needed it maybe for about six months.

FatAgainItsLettuceTime · 06/05/2023 11:14

Never had one, DD either used the toilet or if we were out in a park then it was a bushes situation. Oddly kids actually seem to find weeing in a bush really funny so DD was always more keen on the bush than Tescos toilet.

UsingChangeofName · 06/05/2023 11:32

er..... aren't all potties pretty portable ?
Not sure why you would buy a separate / different one if he is successfully using one you have.

Roundthebend45 · 06/05/2023 11:39

We had one of these Potette things. It doubles as a toilet training seat as well. You do need the buy the bag to go with it , but I think this includes 3 of them to start with. It was really useful for going out and about, and it was lightweight - it’s £15. It lasted us for two kids and is now being used by about her family so pretty good!

Potette Plus 2-in-1 Compact Universal Potty and Toilet Training Seat | Award-Winning Potty Training Essential for Toddlers | White/Blue https://amzn.eu/d/9p6xeoA?tag=mumsnet&ascsubtag=mnforum-21

Proudofitbabe · 06/05/2023 11:44

I would recommend going direct to the loo at home, it's sooo much easier. Just keep a regular potty in the boot of the car if needed

lorisparkle · 06/05/2023 11:46

We had a potette. We ended up using it the most when camping and on holidays and before the ds learnt to wee standing up. As it can be used as a potty or as a toilet seat we found it useful when visiting or on trips out when they are too small to sit on the toilet comfortably.

Kindofcrunchy · 06/05/2023 11:58

We have a carry potty. Son loves it and uses it everywhere: in the park, in the woods, down the bottom of our (massive) garden. He prefers it over standing but will also happily sit on a toilet at home or in public. I don't think there's any harm in having it available until they choose not to use it anymore.

ThreeFeetTall · 06/05/2023 12:01

We didn't have a car and like to spend the whole day out so I had to improvise. If you have a boy this is easy- an old jar for wees until they are old enough to hold it. Remember hand gel and wipes (for you!). For poos...good luck Confused

ThreeFeetTall · 06/05/2023 12:02

UsingChangeofName · 06/05/2023 11:32

er..... aren't all potties pretty portable ?
Not sure why you would buy a separate / different one if he is successfully using one you have.

Because carrying a whole massive potty around all day is a big faff?

mynameiscalypso · 06/05/2023 12:06

We have a carry potty. DS is a bit funny about using toilets and often has an urgent need for a poo. He won't be able to use it for too much longer as he's quite big for it (he's 4 in Aug) but I like the security it brings.

UsingChangeofName · 06/05/2023 12:08

Because carrying a whole massive potty around all day is a big faff?

How big is your potty ? Confused

ThreeFeetTall · 06/05/2023 12:29

Too big to fit in my backpack

comfyshoes2022 · 06/05/2023 12:43

Roundthebend45 · 06/05/2023 11:39

We had one of these Potette things. It doubles as a toilet training seat as well. You do need the buy the bag to go with it , but I think this includes 3 of them to start with. It was really useful for going out and about, and it was lightweight - it’s £15. It lasted us for two kids and is now being used by about her family so pretty good!

Potette Plus 2-in-1 Compact Universal Potty and Toilet Training Seat | Award-Winning Potty Training Essential for Toddlers | White/Blue https://amzn.eu/d/9p6xeoA?tag=mumsnet&ascsubtag=mnforum-21

Same situation here. Super helpful while out for long stretches of time when there’s no other option. Security blanket for child and me!

BeverlyBrook · 06/05/2023 12:51

We had the carry potty. And then when was older but still teeny the potette. Can use it on your go, or put it over a loo as a seat insert. Both are really good.

A friend used to cart around an actual potty in a Tesco bag. That wasn't very pleasant.

Danikm151 · 06/05/2023 12:56

We’ve got a toilet seat that fits in the bag ok.
no accidents whilst out and about yet 🤞🏼

I looked at a carry potty but they are tiny really height wise so not the best choice. The pottette with a bag would be good but I wasn’t paying over £20 and then refills.

BurningBenches · 06/05/2023 13:10

2nd - used a pottette as she was 2yrs 4m. Very infrequently used.
3rd - just straight to toilets as she was 3yrs1m so could hold well.
4th - only boy, he was 2yrs 4m as well. Didn't bother as he could hold well.
5th was 20m, so bought a carry potty. I bought the plain non animal one from JoJo and used their welcome discount so was about £23, which not amazing was better than full price. BUT we barely use it out, mostly I make sure she wees before we leave and we have regular wee stops if we are out for the day. It is good though, fits in a backpack etc so I do try to remember to take it. She's 23m now.

hauntedvagina · 06/05/2023 22:02

I used to keep a regular potty in the car, bought the cheapest nappies I could find and chopped the front, back and sides off to make liners. I'd then pick the liner up with a nappy bag dog poo style and bin it.

MaryShelley1818 · 07/05/2023 05:08

I've never bought or used a portable potty. Think DS had one accident in the car but he was asleep at the time.
I've seen people use them in some totally inappropriate places though with no privacy for the child.

greenpottywhitepotty · 07/05/2023 12:33

I got this one - WISHTIME Potty Seat for Baby Toilet Training Travel Potty 2 in 1 Comfortable Seat Portable Foldable Toilet Baby Training Potty Chair Assistant Multifunction Eco friendly Stool amzn.eu/d/dLJmnyI?tag=mumsnet&ascsubtag=mnforum-21 - helpfully not in stock anymore but has been great.

It folds flattish. I keep it in a bag tied to the pram or have it in the boot. My two (2y and 3y7m) both use it all the time. It's a lifesaver in the park. We use it in a corner of the park rather than in the middle of the place on display. But either way, surely it's better for the kid to have a small moment of little privacy than to pee themselves? Also those mentioning the sacks and liners, it's just pee. Just pour it out. Anywhere a dog can pee I'm sure it's acceptable to pour a little pee out of the potty. I've had one al fresco poo in nearly 2 years, took me by surprise! Ended up in the litter bin. Not ideal but again better than the alternative.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.