My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Is your child ready for potty training at nursery? Here's the place for all your toilet training questions.

Potty training

Potty training on a day out

14 replies

Upex · 02/09/2022 22:01

We are planning on going to London soon my daughter has been potty training for a week now I’m not sure how we carry on potty training on a day out? Do I carry the potty around London which seems like a big hassle or do I pop her back in nappy’s for just one day as I know if we don’t take a potty it might not be as easy to find a toilet close by

OP posts:
Pegsmum · 02/09/2022 22:07

Take a folding potty and put nappy pants on. Pottiagogo potties are really light and compact and have disposable liners. Good luck!

MummyElsie · 03/09/2022 06:39

This reply has been deleted

This has been deleted by MNHQ for breaking our Talk Guidelines.

pompomseverywhere · 03/09/2022 06:58

To be honest as it's only been a week of training and it's a big day out in london I'd stick nappies back on her as I wouldn't want the hassle of the potty and potential accidents now it's colder too.

If it was a regular weekly outing I'd say stick with the training and take a cheap small potty in a designated rucksack or cloth bag. I've seen the foldable ones and travel ones but I didn't invest as it's such a short time that we need it.

gogohmm · 03/09/2022 07:05

Pull ups are the answer and keep taking her to the toilet every 90 mins or so

Dinoteeth · 03/09/2022 07:06

Can you not postpone the day out? Another week or two and she'll give you a bit more warning.

But if you can't then it's either take a potty or be prepared to hold her over a drain, easier to find than a toilet with 10 seconds notice.

Take plenty changes of clothes.

Putting her back in nappies / pull-ups could be a major step backwards and really confuse her.

Goldbar · 03/09/2022 07:21

Depending on where you're visiting, pop her in nappy pants for the day and try to take her to the toilet regularly. I can think of lots of places in London where pulling out a potty would not be appropriate (outdoor parks fine though) and, if you're travelling by train or bus, she needs to be wearing a nappy if she's at all unreliable and likely to have an accident as you can't just leave her to potentially wet the seats.

GlumyGloomer · 03/09/2022 07:45

How old is she? I think the 'get confused' type warning applies to younger kids. Both mine have been trained later (3-3 1/2) and were perfectly capable of understanding using a nappy for a specific event.

CroccyWoccy · 03/09/2022 08:08

I know you can’t always plan these things but honestly I’d not do a day out in London after a week of potty training if I could help it. I think most children improve rapidly in the stretches they can manage between going to the toilet and how much warning they give you.

I had one of these folding potties which fitted into a backpack easily, which was very helpful for a while for emergencies and when having to use a “big toilet” out and about:

www.amazon.co.uk/OXO-Tot-2-Potty-Travel/dp/B0771FFJ22?tag=mumsnet&ascsubtag=mnforum-21

But by and large we had a month or so where we kept planned activities a bit more low-key and planned trips out around toilet breaks.

Upex · 03/09/2022 09:12

We can’t postpone the trip unfortunately it’s for my daughters birthday and she’s seeing blippi in the theatres so I think putting on training pants and still offering the toilet will be the best bet

OP posts:
EllieMummy5 · 09/09/2022 08:33

This has been deleted by MNHQ for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Previously banned poster.

Upex · 09/09/2022 10:39

@EllieMummy5 it went perfectly she wore a pull-up and it was dry the whole day we offered the toilet every time one was near and she would happily have a wee since then we would say she is now fully potty trained

OP posts:
EllieMummy5 · 10/09/2022 08:57

This has been deleted by MNHQ for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Previously banned poster.

Upex · 10/09/2022 10:59

We used Tescos own brand pull ups

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.