Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Holding, nursery.. the never ending story

Crystalisedpeanuts · 10/09/2021 19:37

Ds is 29months, we started attempting to potty train him.. but he’s a holder, a very good holder, seriously 8.30-6pm today. What on earth do you do with that?

He’s been sitting every 30 minutes until he went to nursery now he won’t sit down mysteriously without a screaming match as if he’s worried, he didn’t have any accidents or even wee..

Nursery want him in a nappy despite him being dry and only being there 2 hours unless he’s asking or going himself.. which seem like light years between each other. Especially as his speech isn’t the best, he’ll take you to what he wants rather than ask.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Opalfeet · 07/11/2021 15:36

Sorry just realised that there's no point to that comment 🤦‍♀️

Please
or

Opalfeet · 07/11/2021 15:35

Stop the potty training for now, start again in a month or so.

Please
or

IceandIndigo · 13/09/2021 10:57

We had a similar issue with my DS when he changed nurseries at around the same age. He was potty trained and happy going at his old nursery, but when he moved to the new one he started holding all day, and then doing a huge wee as soon as he got home. Nursery were trying to give him extra fluids to try to encourage him to go but I actually asked them to stop because I was worried he would be in distress if he really needed to go but wouldn't let himself. The thing that cracked it for us was one day he had an accident on the way home (he hardly ever has accidents now) and because we were nearly home I had no choice but to tell him to keep walking. He hated the sensation of being wet, so after that he started going at nursery again.

I also struggle to get him to drink enough, but have found he will sometimes drink diluted fruit juice when he wouldn't drink water. He loves fruit and usually has some at the end of a meal and sometimes I will tell him he has to finish his drink before he can have it.

Please
or

Ozanj · 10/09/2021 20:10

Try making juice or water pearls - don’t use too much gelatine you want them to melt in the mouth. One of my kids at nursery has ASD and that’s the only way to get fluid into him.

Also try offering warm ‘grown up’ drinks. Like very milky tea and coffee in his own mug. My son went through a phase where he wouldn’t drink anything else for a week - but it seemed to keep him regular.

Please
or

Crystalisedpeanuts · 10/09/2021 20:03

@rosesandsalvia it’s just been a few days, he’s a pest for fluid.. really restricted diet all very dry and hates wetness so he wouldn’t even pick up cucumber or an ice lolly. Trying juices he doesn’t usually get though. Not sure how it’ll work if nursery just Chuck him in a nappy though, originally they said they’d go what you do but totally 180’d that today.

OP's posts:
Please
or

rosesandsalvia · 10/09/2021 19:55

How long have you been potty training? If it's not been that long I would suggest trying to up his fluid intake - juice / ice lolly / cucumber / watermelon etc whatever you can to get liquid into him. If it has been more than 2-3 weeks I would go back to nappies and try again in a couple of months.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?