Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

For free parenting resources please check out the Early Years Alliance's Family Corner.

Parenting

Done with baby groups

30 replies

whatiszzz · 22/09/2022 13:39

My little one just now would not stop crying in a baby group, none of the mums were even talking to me anyway, they all seemed to know each other so I was sitting there with my baby feeling just quite lonely so just left halfway through. She was not getting on with it.
The ones I’ve gone to have been very clicky. Or I get on with one mum and they don’t come back.
my baby is 3 months, if I stop going would this harm her development? She’s a very fussy baby so always kicking off at some point in these groups too which makes me more anxious :(

OP posts:
Please
or

bakewellbride · 22/09/2022 13:48

Until they're 1 year old baby groups aren't really of real benefit to babies imo. Obviously there are exceptions e.g baby massage.

Don't feel guilty, it won't make any difference to your baby at all Flowers

Please
or

EnlightenedSlug · 22/09/2022 13:48

Definately don't go if it's making you miserable. Could you take a break from them and re evaluate in a few weeks. When the weather is horrible in Dec & Jan you may have more motivation to go as strolls in the park get less appealing. You could use peanut to meet other mums or a local FB group? And then meet them at a baby group.

Please
or

RedHerring24 · 22/09/2022 13:48

It entirely your decision as to whether you go to a baby group or not.
Personally, I havent taken DD to any as I was put off by a friend who had a really rough time at some and there arent many in my area to be fair.
At such a young age the groups are for the mums, not the babies.
The babies may get a bit of sensory play out of it but that is nothing you cant recreate at home.
For me personally I dont feel either DD or I have missed out. I may not have made a stack of mum friends during my mat leave but that is fine with me. I have enjoyed the time with DD playing with her, taking her out etc and she is where she should be development wise. I have friends who I see on a regular basis and they have children.

The only group I did start when DD was 6 months old was swimming. She gets to do something she enjoys, sees other children and I can have a chat to the other mums but the main focus is the babies. Its great and we both love going.

Please
or

SpinningFloppa · 22/09/2022 13:46

Harm her development?! She is 3 months 🤨 at that age Baby groups are for the mums not the babies.

Please
or

Boxofsockss · 22/09/2022 13:44

I don’t think it would harm your babies development however it is a lovely experience for them and I do think they benefit. I think you should ride it out and in a few weeks I’m sure you will get familiar with the other faces. Or try a different class. Failing that I wouldn’t worry if you really don’t enjoy it. Don’t worry about baby crying in the class that will pass. My baby is the number 1 screamer in the classes I take her to 😂

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

We're all short on time

Log in or sign up to use the 'See Next' or 'See all' posts by the OP (Original Poster) and cut straight to the action.

Already signed up?

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?