Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Worried about my baby daughters features

Tammy85 · 12/09/2022 21:10

I'm a new mum to a beautiful 1 month old baby girl. I had a normal pregnancy and the birth went as good as it could of. She weighed 7lbs 7 and we was told she was all healthy and allowed home.

I did a google search which i know is not the right thing to do but I have been worried about her nose and her breathing. She has a wide big nose with flared nostrils which I have never seen on a newborn. Also inside her nose her airway is small as her nostril tissue is on the inside which fesults in her sounding stuffy all the time and sneezing a lot. I've asked multiple midwifes and the health visitor about it as I'm worried to be told she's fine.

I dont know why but I just have this feeling something is not right. She does not look like any other baby ive seen or me or my OH. Nearly all babies ive seen have small button noses. Mine and my OH noses are quite small and not the shape of my daughters.

Anyway Google has come up with something called pitt hopkins syndrome. I'd never beleive anything I see on Google however some of the other fascial features of this syndrome my little one has and now I've gone into meltdown and this is consuming me. I'm crying all the time I look at my daughter thinking will she have the life I imagined. I really don't know what to do as i can't stop thinking she has this. Most diagnosis are when the babies are not hitting milestones which I am going to be so paranoid now for months if she will or will not hit her milestones.

I cant talk to any friends as I feel like such a bad mum but I can't help thinking what I do and after seeing the page on Google I'm now convinced my daughter has this.

I really don't know what to do as it is all I can think about I feel terrible but I just have this feeling. I love her no matter what but everyone has this picture of how there baby will look and be and I just think something isn't right.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Riverlee · 12/09/2022 21:16

Firstly, congratulations on your daughter.

If you have any concerns, go and speak to your gp. Tell them your fears. They may be able to reassure you that’s everything is fine, or if they have concerns, refer her for further investigation. Don’t be afraid to mention the condition - chances are they’re not aware of it, and also mention all the symptoms you are concerned about.

Hopefully, everything up is fine, but nothing wrong in getting it checked out.

Please
or

Twawmyarse · 12/09/2022 21:19

They often look very squished as newborns and their noses can be quite flat - the snuffly breathing is quite common too, it's usually just mucus from being in your tummy. There is no harm in going to see your gp with the information you have gathered, even if only to allay your concerns.

I think new mums often suffer from hyper-anxiety after giving birth - I remember with one of mine constantly checking her breathing and being convinced she had Down's syndrome as her tongue poked out of her mouth.

Try not to worry and just enjoy your baby - as long as there are no real issues with feeding etc and she's meeting her milestones (which the HV will monitor) I'm sure you've nothing to worry about. Anything that comes up down the line like not growing as she should etc will be picked up by the health visitor.

Please try not to worry - it's an extremely rare condition and it's highly unlikely your dd has it 💐

Please
or

Hohofortherobbers · 12/09/2022 21:19

Pitt hopkins is exceptionally rare, there's usually others flags like muscle flaccidity and feeding problems. It's natural to worry but her nose might just be her perfectly normal nose, newborns are invariably pretty squished and facial features even out, try to keep calm and listen to the prosfessionals. Enjoy this time with your LO, it passes too quickly.

Please
or

ColeensBoot · 12/09/2022 21:24

Go and see your GP before the 6 week check. They will put your mind at rest.
No point worrying about it, just go and get it checked out. Your mental health is very important and that could help you feel better about it.

Please
or

user375849372 · 12/09/2022 21:26

Would you be able to upload a picture of just the nose ?? I'm interested to see what you mean and why you are googling it.

Speak to your GP if you have health concerns but also it may just be her nose that will change/grow as the baby features go.

Please
or

Hugasauras · 12/09/2022 21:27

Newborn noses and nostrils are quite wide and flat because they are designed to be squashed against the breast in a way that allows baby still to breathe. Newborns are often stuffy too. They can't clear their noses themselves and their nasal passages are so tiny.

Please
or

Wouldloveanother · 12/09/2022 21:28

congrats on your baby OP! Are you able to post a photo, with her eyes and mouth etc edited out, just so we can see what you mean?

Please
or

AUDHD · 12/09/2022 21:30

Congratulations!!
Post a picture of her nose if you feel comfortable

Please
or

WavePlant · 12/09/2022 21:32

I would make an appointment to go and see your GP and explain your concerns about her breathing and what you’ve looked up. Some newborns have problems breathing through their nose and need investigating and others are fine. Nothing we can say will reassure you otherwise so best to go and see the GP, that’s what they are there for.

Please
or

KiraKiraHikaru · 12/09/2022 21:33

Could we see a picture of her nose?

Please
or

Sodie · 12/09/2022 21:33

My youngest (4th) child had a huge wide nose at birth. The midwife even joked he was "local". He grew into his nose and honestly it's just a normal sized nose now. But at the time it was upturned to a point all you could see were nostrils.

Please
or

YesitsBess · 12/09/2022 21:34

Agree with PP who says most newborns have wide noses to help them breathe whilst feeding, mine both did. Perfectly normal noses now.

Do speak to your GP if only to put your mind at rest, it sounds like the HVs aren’t massively worried and Google isn’t your friend really in the early months.

Please
or

Hugasauras · 12/09/2022 21:35

For example, this was DD's nose at 4 weeks. You can see how flat and large the nostrils look and also just a glimpse of her nose lining, which was quite prominent. She's definitely grown into it and has a perfectly small and cute nose Smile

Obviously if you are worried seek further help but baby noses come in all shapes and sizes just like ours!

Please
or

xxcatcatcatxx · 12/09/2022 21:38

Our son has got quite a flat squished nose and looks quite similar to the Pitt’s photos but he’s 1/4 Japanese and is hitting his milestones. Is there any other races/ places in your family tree? I was also so convinced he had foetal alcohol syndrome from before I knew I was pregnant.

@KiraKiraHikaru Unrelated but I always try and sing this song to him but get the second line wrong 😂

Please
or

Flowerytoe · 12/09/2022 21:39

Since you're not getting anywhere with midwives speak to your GP. Tell them your concerns.

Please
or

ImSoMagical · 12/09/2022 21:39

Try not to worry- ask your gp or health visitor for help/advice. Babies change so much and can look so odd at first. My 4th was referred to a paediatrician a week after birth because they thought by the way he looked that he had downs syndrome. He was fine - just the way he looked after the birth.

Please
or

Bells3032 · 12/09/2022 21:40

Honestly their features are so different from what they become at that age. When my daughter was born they were worried she had "soft dysmophic" features associated with downs syndrome. For months I googled the signs of downs syndrome and compared every part of her body. Honestly she was just a bit swollen and puffy and she grew out of it.

But if you are worried then please speak to your gp.

Please
or

Tammy85 · 12/09/2022 22:03

Heres a pic of her nose. I'm just so worried I know its so rare and the other fascial features related to it are cupids bow lip, fuller lower lips, wide flared nostrils, overfolded helix all of which she has. I originally thought it was from the birth as it was a natural birth but she's a month now and it's still the same

OP's posts:
Please
or

ArseyDarcie · 12/09/2022 22:06

Hi Tammy! Your daughter looks totally within the realms of normal to me!

Are you an anxious person? I suffered from postnatal OCD and this is similar to the type of worry I would have. Please message me if so and sorry if I'm barking up the wrong tree!

Congratulations on your beautiful little girl xxx

Please
or

Wouldloveanother · 12/09/2022 22:08

Normal!!!!! My nephew’s was EXACTLY like that - he’s now a healthy, gorgeous 3 year old with a completely normal sized nose! Honestly I was expecting something shocking, but that just looks like a normal baby’s nose to me.

Please
or

Twawmyarse · 12/09/2022 22:08

She is absolutely perfect and normal and her nose is gorgeous I promise you - please try not to worry xx

Please
or

ArseyDarcie · 12/09/2022 22:09

Also - your daughter is really unlikely to have this but if she does, just keep in mind that you will adjust to the struggles of living with her condition and make the best of it. All you can do in the mean time is try and be the best mum you can (which I'm sure you're doing anyway) but either way, you will manage and make things work one way or another.

Please
or

KiraKiraHikaru · 12/09/2022 22:09

Her nostrils are like that so she can breath out the sides when he nose if pressed into the breast :)

Please
or

Hugasauras · 12/09/2022 22:09

Looks totally normal to me! You'll probably find in a month or two it'll have more shape to it.

Please
or

GreenLunchBox · 12/09/2022 22:11

That looks like a totally normal nose, bless you 😊

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?