My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

For free parenting resources please check out the Early Years Alliance's Family Corner.

Parenting

Baby carriers

16 replies

DeeDeeDaisy · 05/09/2022 18:09

MIL has offered to buy us a baby carrier. She's told us to choose the one we want and to not worry about the price (although I know I'll still feel guilty if we ask for one on the pricier side...)

After a quick google it didn't take me long to become overwhelmed with the choice. Any recommendations?

Will mainly be used for short dog walks and shopping trips, we're not big hikers or anything like that!
I'm 5'5, average build and DH is 6'4, average build if that makes any difference.

OP posts:
bogoblin · 05/09/2022 18:14

Love our Ergobaby Omni 360 mesh, it does 4 different carry positions and adjusts nicely. I personally didn't get on with a stretchy wrap style and prefer a structured carrier.

For baby #2 since we're not taking our 2 year old out of the pram, I'm going to get a Babybjorn Mini so I can carry him easier from birth.

The other Babybjorns are quite popular as well. Tulas are nice too! Sorry that's all I can think of right now!

Orangesare · 05/09/2022 18:20

Ergo baby 360 with newborn inserts.
it’s probably not the best for 0-3 months but it’s awesome from 3 months to 3 years

for my second I used a tie wrap thing from0-3 month as o had a VBAC. But I couldn’t use the wrap thing with my first as it pressed on my cs scar but the ergo 360 didn’t.

Hugasauras · 05/09/2022 18:24

I prefer Tula Explore to Ergobaby personally but they're both similar. Close Caboo is great for a newborn sling in the house. DD2 is 11 weeks and still spends about six hours a day in it!

I think it's quite personal so you might want to hire a couple from a sling library first to get a feel for them as they're expensive to get 'wrong'.

lilroo87 · 05/09/2022 18:24

I've got a amawrap sling which is brilliant and for a more structured carrier, went with the Tula Explore and really love it.
The Tula carrier is great cause it lasts until 4 (depending on weight) and is a front (inward and outward) and a back carrier so was versatile for the money

APurpleSquirrel · 05/09/2022 18:27

I loved my Tula's - used Standard ones with insert when babies & now progressed to the Toddler size. DS is 4 & can still be carried in the Toddler version when needed.
I tried a few, didn't get on with the stretchy wraps, prefer structured ones with buckles.
See if there is a sling library nearby & try a few out.

Blessedbethefruitz · 05/09/2022 18:28

Try a sling library first. I couldn't get on with the ones with crossover back straps, possibly because I'm short. So glad id just rented one for the week! I love a stretchy (used until 1 year with my first) or the boba 4gs (can front and back carry) though, and can breastfeed in both.

AnnaBegins · 05/09/2022 18:29

Look for your local sling library and try before you buy! Every person if different and there's no "best" one. Look for one with a nice wide base, adjustable is usually good but bear in mind you might prefer a simple stretchy wrap with a newborn and a carrier later on. "Hip displasia institute accreditation" is a paid for certification and no indication of quality.
www.slingpages.co.uk for your local library
My recommendations to try are: mamaruga zensling, kahubaby, tula free to grow.
(Carrying consultant)

Soubriquet · 05/09/2022 18:37

I really liked my stretchy wrap but I’m aware that it’s only ideal for little babies and not for when they are older

RobertaTheRobot · 05/09/2022 18:47

Love my ergobaby embrace. Its soft like a sling but is sturdy, as it does up with buckles rather than relying on tying knots yourself. Also it's really easy to do up/put on/tighten by yourself without any help!

BeautifulBirds · 05/09/2022 18:49

I have spent hundreds on baby carriers, slings, wraps etc.

Wish I found our sling library first. Got a chance to try loads out, rent them for a week and choose the one we liked best.

Opted for a woven wrap.

Endlesslaundry123 · 05/09/2022 19:11

Ergobaby Omni 360 is amazing. I'm 5'4" and my 14 lb baby sleeps in it about 5 times a day right now (only place he'll sleep). Super easy to pop on and adjust.

BakeOffRewatch · 05/09/2022 19:31

Loved Ergobaby Aura wrap, a soft fabric wrap for newborn. Easy to stretch and take baby in and out simply without taking it off. I’d say it’s good for up to 3 months. I really recommend this one as it is so easy to wash with no hardwear on it, when you have a 3-month old or under they’re always drooling or vomiting “possetting” on it. It goes in the wash and dries quickly.

I HATED the ergobaby 360. I baby-wore under maternity coats and cardigans and hoodies, like they sell on the Seraphine site www.seraphine.com/en-gb/parenthood/babywearing-coats/ . To take the baby/toddler out you have to undo the carrier or loosen it if crossed over, you can’t put it on and tighten with a cardigan/coat over the top. This was hugely inconvenient for us, as we would baby wear to walk to local places and want to take child out briefly. I got it (omni mesh) on eBay and ended up selling it for enough to make back what I paid and P&P. So no loss. I really don’t understand why people love this so much. It’s so finickety. I’m not saying it’s difficult, it is just not convenient.

DH decided to buy the BabyBjorn brand new (extravagant!) www.babybjorn.co.uk/baby-carriers/ Think the harmony or they used to sell one called move 3D? The wearing mechanism is separate to the baby securing mechanism. Just two clips at front, baby in and out. Great for when you’re at the park and maybe want to let them have a little walk on a path, he invested because he did nursery pick up and drop off before commuting so super fast. Bought it when baby 1yo and got through winter - much nicer to have them close to you in wind and rain than pushchair when they’re very small.

We stopped using around 16 months because they get really wriggly and even if you’re baby-wearing right for your posture, the baby’s movements throw you off and your back kills. That might help how much you want to spend.

Have you had baby already? Once you’re in baby group world or going to children's centres, other mums and dads will show you theirs and I’ve found parents on their second or third will lend them out to try. I bought the aura wrap before birth, and the ergobaby based on Google reviews and comments here saying it’s the best - clearly didn’t work for my use style.

BakeOffRewatch · 05/09/2022 19:31

Our sling library closed during the pandemic unfortunately

DappledThings · 05/09/2022 22:20

I had a Beco Gemini and loved it. Used it from 10 weeks to 3.5 years so it was totally worth the money.

The new Baby Bjorns are a lot better than the old ones which put babies in awful positions but I'm still suspicious of them as a brand.

comfyshoes2022 · 06/09/2022 01:59

ergobaby 360 vote from me, as well

Danikm151 · 06/09/2022 02:02

I had the chicco easy carrier. Lasted till around 9 months. Easy to put on yourself rather than needing help.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.