Mumsnet Logo
My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

For free parenting resources please check out the Early Years Alliance's Family Corner.

Parenting

What are your toddler’s favourite books?

23 replies

Sunshine1996 · 28/07/2022 12:17

DD (19 months) is a huge book worm. Looking for inspiration for other books for her as she seems to ask for her favourites on repeat 10x a day!
Her current favourites are:
Room on the broom
Giraffes can’t dance
All the acorn wood series
Monkey puzzle
we also have dear zoo, going on a bear hunt, hungry caterpillar. I have tried her with the gruffalo and zog but she doesn’t seem interested.

OP posts:

Beees · 28/07/2022 12:19

The 10 minutes to bed books are firm favourites here. Along with the 2 million that's not my books we seem to own.

FloralDance · 28/07/2022 12:23

My DD is 20 months and also a total bookworm! Her faves that you haven't mentioned include:

• Judith Kerr: all of the Mog books (particularly if your DD is into cats - mine is in a BIG way) and The Tiger Who Came to Tea

• Lots of other Julia Donaldson ones, but particularly The Hospital Dog and The Smeds and The Smoos

-Zagazoo by Quentin Blake

• The "My First" books by DK, we have Nature, Words, Busy Jobs and Zoo and they have loads of photos and she can look through them for ages

• Spot books by Eric Hill

• 10 Little Fingers and 10 Little Toes

• Anything by Nick Butterworth or Mick Inkpen

Nowisthemonthofmaying · 28/07/2022 12:26

My dd (nearly two) loves Shirley Hughes, particularly the Nursery Collection and Lucy & Tom's Christmas (no idea why that one 😂). Other favourites are Peepo and the Baby's Catalogue by the Ahlbergs, Goodnight Moon, Hushabye (John Burningham) and the Acorn Wood series.

PineappleWilson · 28/07/2022 12:26

• The Chimpanzees of Happy Town (same author and illustrator as Giraffes can't dance, I think)
  • Who's in the loo?
  • superworm by Julia Donaldson, again a strong rhythm
  • Chocolate mousse for greedy goose and Hippo has a hat - Julia Donaldson and Nick Sherratt

fellopswell · 28/07/2022 12:26

Handas Surprise
Little Rabbit Foo Foo

TheLovleyChebbyMcGee · 28/07/2022 12:35

The snail and the whale, I am bat (silly voice required at all times), the pirate cruncher, 10 little pirates, foxes socks.

I live the snail and the whale too, the phrasing and words are a bit of tongue twister sometimes, but it flows so well

flashpaper · 28/07/2022 12:41

We are wearing out the naughty step was a favourite of ours. We still have it even though DC are 12 and 10. I just can't bear to part with it.

Albgo · 28/07/2022 12:44

Handa's Surprise
10 Little Dinosaurs
Peck Peck Peck

Workawayxx · 28/07/2022 12:46

No bed without ted
An old macdonald book (don't particularly recommend this as you end up having to sing old macdonald on repeat!)
A busy day for birds (this was free from the library when she joined)
How to hide a lion from grandma
Fox's socks, cats cookbook, squirrel's snowman

We have quite a lot of books from my older DS but have also been going to the library each week and getting 5/6 different books to rotate. That way it doesn't matter if she (or we!) are not keen. If there's one in there she really really loves then I can buy it.

PoundPill · 28/07/2022 12:58

The Hungry Caterpillar

Guess how much I love you - Sam McBratney

Dogger & The Tiger who came to tea - Shirley Hughes

My DC just loved these and got so much mileage out of them

Albgo · 28/07/2022 13:01

@PoundPill oh Dogger ♥️♥️♥️

MrsSamR · 28/07/2022 13:56

• Peepo
  • We're Going On A Bear Hunt
  • Guess How Much I Love You
  • Axel Scheffler Series: Higgly Hen, Cuddly Cow, Portly Pig, Gobbly Goat
  • Each Peach Pear Plum
  • Goodnight Moon

Bellaphant · 28/07/2022 14:58

Bears love squares, rabbit says no And I really really need a wee, all book trust books. He's three this week .

Danikm151 · 28/07/2022 15:08

10 minutes to bed little dinosaur
dinosaur's don't have bed times
101 bums
All that "that's not my"
the peter rabbit stories
basically anything and everything

Aria999 · 28/07/2022 15:11

All the Hairy Maclary books.

CatSeany · 28/07/2022 15:13

We share a lot of your favourites! Also enjoy Tabby McTat, Bear on my Chair, Goodnight Tractor (I love this one as it's so easy to read and not super long!) and the Squirrels who Squabbled.

SpiderVersed · 28/07/2022 15:14

Everything Mick Inkpen wrote, including all the Wibbly Pig and Kipper books. All three of mine adored them.

Sandra Boynton books, although Moo Baa Lalala was a particular favourite.

Dinosaur Roar
Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?
Dr Seuss’s ABC

Mustrryharder · 28/07/2022 15:16

The Oi Dog, Oi Frog and Oi Cat series they make all of us belly laugh and are my husbands favourite books 🤣

Hugasauras · 28/07/2022 15:33

Bustletown series is a fave here on top of all the usuals already mentioned.

Aria999 · 28/07/2022 15:35

Harry and the bucketful of dinosaurs

SamanthaVimes · 28/07/2022 21:39

My DD (24mo) loves the little people big dreams series about famous people. We’ve mostly got the board book versions as they’re not as wordy
Any Maisy books, we have some about first experiences eg dentist, sleepover etc
Oi Frog
mog books
hide and seek pig, postman bear (and the other ones in the series)
Spot
we also have some flip flap books which are animals where you can have eg a cow head with sheep legs which she finds quite funny (although has only recently started understanding the “wrong” combinations)

MurkyGloom · 28/07/2022 22:50

Peepo, Each Peach Pear Plum, Ten Little Fingers and Ten Little Toes, Acorn Wood lift the flaps, The Very Hungry Caterpillar, Goodnight Moon, Spot… we own loads of books and go to the library but at least one of the books above gets picked for bedtime and I probably see the rest almost daily.

PineappleWilson · 29/07/2022 16:27

Some of the Hairy MacLairy books too - DS had Hairy MacLairy and Zachary Quack at age 2 and loved the rhythmn and repetition of it. 10 years later it's still in the family and his younger sibling loves it too.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?