My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

For free parenting resources please check out the Early Years Alliance's Family Corner.

Parenting

Best toys for 11 month old? Baby totally bored

13 replies

knitting774 · 20/03/2021 18:19

My DS is 11 months old and I think he’s getting bored of his toys. He’s got a baby gym, building blocks, sorting shapes, hoops on a cone, lots of rattles, cuddly toys and a couple of Lamaze sensory toys, a plastic piano where he can hit the keys, teething toys and crackly books. He also has a jumperoo.

The trouble is, he will “go through” everything in about 10 minutes and then get bored and shout! What else can I give him to occupy his attention and stimulate him at this age? He’s not mobile yet but can sit up unassisted.

OP posts:
withsexypantsandasausagedog · 20/03/2021 18:31

Mine loved non-toys- Tuppaware, wooden spoons, bags, shoes! Free too!

ThatsNotTheTeaHunty · 20/03/2021 18:33

My son at that age loved the fisher price food truck it's quite pricey but he still plays with it now and he's 20 months.

He also loves the little people play sets and figures.

LemonLemonLemon · 20/03/2021 18:37

Mine is like this, he enjoys the v-tech Walker - they’re always for sale on marketplace. Otherwise just get out and about as much as you can.

Sohoso · 20/03/2021 18:39

My 11 month old is really into pushing little cars around and saying broom-broom. He likes putting them down the ramp of his brother’s toy garage, so maybe some kind of marble run, but approximately sized for a baby obviously.

LadyCatStark · 20/03/2021 18:45

@Sohoso

My 11 month old is really into pushing little cars around and saying broom-broom. He likes putting them down the ramp of his brother’s toy garage, so maybe some kind of marble run, but approximately sized for a baby obviously.

The bay equivalent of this would be a click clack track or a similar that uses a ball.

The best thing is a bag/ box/ basket containing (baby safe) crap from around the house. For example, a wooden spoon, a sponge or a cloth, different types of material, a string of beads (that isn’t break), make a shaker from a water bottle with rice in, things like that. He might just empty out the box, but that’s fun and educational for a baby!

Does he look at board books? The ones with different textures or sounds are good for a baby.
Bigoldmachine · 20/03/2021 18:46

A box or basket full of random (but baby safe) things... off the top of my head could be
Tupperware box
Wooden spoon
Empty plastic bottle
Basically anything you can find that’s new to the baby and safe - they’ll find great joy emptying it out of the box and looking at each thing.

My second child is a bit younger at almost 9 months but he also likes to be sat on the grass to touch it - if you have a garden this could fill 10 mins?!

Rolling a ball

Peek a boo with a scarf

Books with flaps or bits to feel are a big favourite in our house. He’ll spend ages touching the fur on the animal pages.

Sit them in the washing basket and drag them up and down a (carpeted) floor. Should get a few laughs.

As daft as it sounds - make a den! LO will love how everything looks different under a sheet or blanket.

But I know what you mean OP, it gets really boring at home all day with a baby. I am finding the same and it’s exhausting and mind numbingly boring at the same time.

becca3210 · 20/03/2021 18:46

A few things my 11 month old has enjoyed: turning the pages of board books, moving pasta shapes between containers, rolling balls, pushing his vehicles, pulling chiffon scarves out of a ball with holes, playing his musical instruments, picking up his farm animals, being bounced around to music.

starpatch · 20/03/2021 18:51

cog toys
once hes walking those push a long things with a cylinder on a stick that go round and make a noise
one peice puzzles
anything from whizz toys
noahs ark

Letsallscreamatthesistene · 20/03/2021 18:51

My 11 month old is really into opening my kitchen cuboards and emptying/exploring the contents. So maybe make a few cuboards baby safe and let him go for it

knitting774 · 20/03/2021 19:20

Thanks for the suggestions. The other thing is he puts EVERYTHING in his mouth and is so quick when he does it. For example if I gave him a sponge he’d start biting bits off it pretty quickly! He enjoys ripping up newspapers but again the little bits get shoved in his mouth so I have to be really vigilant.

OP posts:
knitting774 · 20/03/2021 19:21

I’m also wondering whether to get rid of the baby gym - he doesn’t seem interested in that at all anymore! Are they really for younger babies?

OP posts:
Letsallscreamatthesistene · 20/03/2021 19:26

I got rid of my baby gym a while back. He wasnt that interested in it and it just took up space.

ThatsTheTea · 20/03/2021 19:31

Anything with wheels! My DS loves spinning them around. A busy board? We made our own but he loves it now still at 16m. Lots of ‘that’s not my’ book collection. He loves the bigger car/truck toys. The fisher price chair he still loves as well, we just tend to buy second hand of market place/Shpock. We also hide some away and then cycle them so he doesn’t get too bored but PP are right, even with all the good stuff he loves going in the cupboards more and getting out whatever he can. He also loves the washing machine/ tumble dryer and dog toys! Squeaky balls etc.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.