Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

WEBCHAT GUIDELINES: 1. One question per member plus one follow-up. 2. Keep your question brief. 3. Don't moan if your question doesn't get answered. 4. Do be civil/polite. 5. If one topic or question threatens to overwhelm the webchat, MNHQ will usually ask for people to stop repeating the same question or point.

MNHQ have commented on this thread

Delia Smith: live webchat, TODAY, Thursday 28 February, 1-2pm

RachelMumsnet · 27/02/2013 09:46

To mark the end of #FoodFeb, our month long celebration of great food, we're delighted that Delia Smith is joining us tomorrow (Thursday 28 Feb) between 1 and 2pm for a webchat.

Delia last joined us in late November 2011 where she talked about everything from perfect gravy to Christmas pud. She's back this time to celebrate the launch of her latest book Delia's Cakes. Delia's Book of Cakes was first published in 1977, and has never been out of print. To celebrate its success it has undergone a complete contemporary makeover. Delia's Cakes includes timeless classics like coffee and walnut sponge and old-fashioned cherry cake as well as new recipes such as iced hidden strawberry cup cakes and chunky marmalade muffins.

The Delia Online Cookery School also launches this Thursday 28th at //www.deliaonline.com.

Delia will be announcing the winners of our cake decorating competition and answering your questions between 1 and 2pm on Thursday. As ever, if you're unable to make that time, do post your question in advance to this thread.

OP's posts:
Please
or

DeliaSmith · 28/02/2013 13:38

@MardyBraWouldDoEddieRedmayne

Hello Delia. My husband keeps moving your books out of prime position on my shelves and keeps replacing them with Nigella's because she is a simpering wench and he fancies her. Should I LTB?

Quite honestly, whoever you are, I don't think there's a lot I can do about it! Grin
Please
or

IDismyname · 28/02/2013 13:38

I don't have a question for you, Delia, but it's great to see you on MN!

I was given a copy of your Complete Cookery Course for my 21st Birthday by my Great Aunt 25 years ago. Its recipes have featured in so many points in my life.

I have only just started to cook your pork and green olive casserole again - I made gallons of it just before I went into hospital to have DS (now 15) and we ate it weekly for about the first 6 months of my sons life!

Its darned good.

Pancakes and your all in one white sauce I regularly use.

Good luck with all your future plans.

Please
or

DeliaSmith · 28/02/2013 13:38

@zipzap

Hi Delia

Another one here who loves your books.

I love things like beef bourguignon, beef in beer/ale, coq au vin, anything with a good slug or three of booze in really, etc and was just wondering if you knew at what age you can let kids eat them in relation to the alcohol content? I've got out the habit of cooking them as I have young dc and realised the other day that I need to start making them again as I miss them, I'm just hoping the dc are old enough to eat them.

I kind of assume that the alcohol is cooked out in the process of cooking them (I have slow cooker so tend to do them in that but also sometimes do them in the oven or on the hob) but it would be nice to know for sure!

My dc are 7 and 4 if that makes any difference!

Wine Cheers Many thanks

Hello Zipzap:
I think your 4 and 7 year olds deserve to have all those lovely things and will be better off having been brought up on them. You are right in assuming the alcohol does get cooked out. So I hope they enjoy them.
Please
or

DeliaSmith · 28/02/2013 13:41

@TheDoctorsWife46

Can I ask Delia, do you find yourself cooking the same meals a lit. Loads if us here have to ask each other whats for dinner to get new inspiration as we all tend to cook the same fail dafe staples like spag bol etc.

What are your failsafe fallback dinners?

I'm afraid we're all the same! We do get into a kind of cooking rut, and yes, we have spaghetti bolognaise quite a lot. One of our favourites is lamb chops when they're in season.

I keep making resolutions to start doing different things but there doesn't seem time to think too much about it. But I think that's what we've all got to do - we've got to sit down, with a cookery book, make a plan, and just do something different. I'm thinking of maybe posting up online so you know what I'm cooking each week - and that might make me try harder!
Please
or

DeliaSmith · 28/02/2013 13:42

@strangerwithmyface

What I really want to know is what's the secret to making good scones? Do you need a mixer or would it be better to do by hand? Mine are always rubbish.

Three cheers for your question! I can't tell you how much I've enjoyed showing how to make scones for the online cookery school and this will be posted up as our third lesson. I absolutely make you a promise that once you've watched it, you really will never have a problem!
Please
or

GirlOutNumbered · 28/02/2013 13:42

Hi delis,
Just looked at your first lesson, it's brilliant! Now I realise where I go wrong, I never have the correct tin and you have also shown me reusable liners! I'm off to buy some right now.

What a brilliant website, I NAND wait to start having a good look around.

My question is this, I can't have dairy. Would most of your recipes be suited to something like stork or vitalite?

Please
or

Tinkerisdead · 28/02/2013 13:43

Yes i'd love you to post online "what's for dinner at delia's."

Thank you for answering my question. Grin

Please
or

DeliaSmith · 28/02/2013 13:43

@KatieMiddleton

Hi Delia,

Forget the food, what i really want to know is how you manage to look about 30 years younger than you actually are?

But if we must talk food, which cook books do you own besides yours?

Thank you kindly

Hello Kate
I only look like that on the tv and its called the make up artist!
Please
or

DeliaSmith · 28/02/2013 13:44

@DadOnIce

Hello Delia - what recipe do you think people are most put off doing because they think it is too complex, when it is actually quite straightforward?

I think making a soufflé. If anyone wants a good, easy one to start with, the leek and potato soufflé recipe is in the Happy Christmas book, and online.
Please
or

DeliaSmith · 28/02/2013 13:45

@GirlOutNumbered

Hi delis,
Just looked at your first lesson, it's brilliant! Now I realise where I go wrong, I never have the correct tin and you have also shown me reusable liners! I'm off to buy some right now.

What a brilliant website, I NAND wait to start having a good look around.

My question is this, I can't have dairy. Would most of your recipes be suited to something like stork or vitalite?

Stork, definitely. There is a video technique on fats for cakes on Delia Online in which stork is featured!
Please
or

DeliaSmith · 28/02/2013 13:45

@GreatGooglyMoogly

Hi Delia,

I have a lot of trouble with my oven - it often browns things on one side of it (the right) faster than the other. Would you recommend yours or one you've used and liked? Thanks :)

Hello GreatgooglyMoogly:
I know whata you are going through its absolutely awful trying to cook in an oven that isn't right. I am happy to tell you which ones we use they are made by a firm called Siemens and I can really recommend you invest in a good oven. Because then you'll enjoy all your baking so much more.
Please
or

DeliaSmith · 28/02/2013 13:46

@blue2

I don't have a question for you, Delia, but it's great to see you on MN!

I was given a copy of your Complete Cookery Course for my 21st Birthday by my Great Aunt 25 years ago. Its recipes have featured in so many points in my life.

I have only just started to cook your pork and green olive casserole again - I made gallons of it just before I went into hospital to have DS (now 15) and we ate it weekly for about the first 6 months of my sons life!

Its darned good.

Pancakes and your all in one white sauce I regularly use.

Good luck with all your future plans.

Thank you so much, messages like yours always give me so much encouragement, and I'm truly grateful!
Please
or

DeliaSmith · 28/02/2013 13:48

@TaggieCampbellBlack

Hello Delia.

I love cake. It contains all the most important food groups; carbs, fat, sugar.......

What is your favourite cake?

Also - I have to do lunch and cake for 50 people. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Hello TaggieCampbellBlack:
My favourite cake changes each month since we have been doing the book.
I think this month its probably the Double Lemon Drizzle Poppy Seed cake.
All the cakes are easy so serving 50 shouldn't be too difficult. You would have to bake 7 cakes with a bit over. My other passion which never goes away is for
Muffins. I can't seem to stop eating them whenever we make them. So how about you make 50 of the recipe for Spiced Apple Muffins.
Please
or

DeliaSmith · 28/02/2013 13:48

@TractorKate

Apologies that this isn't about baking but I'm quite good at baking but wonder if you can help me with something else. The one thing I can't seem to get right is rice. The water always seems to boil away before the rice is cooked, the rice turns out too sticky or burns at the bottom of the pan. I have tried following various recipes but never get it right.Any tips? Thanks for joining us on Mumsnet. Your making me very hungry Smile

Just go to Delia Online and look up 'Perfect Rice'. I have had thousands of people tell me how well it works for them. However, sounds like you might have been having the heat up too high. It needs the gentlest of simmers. Please try my method.
Please
or

KatieMiddleton · 28/02/2013 13:50

Thanks Delia :)
Please
or

strangerwithmyface · 28/02/2013 13:50

Thank you Delia! I definitely will.

Please
or

DeliaSmith · 28/02/2013 13:50

@VenetiaLanyon

Hi Delia,

Recently a lot of celebrity cooks' recipes were slated as not being as healthy as supermarket eadymeals - will your on-line school have a focus on healthy meals as well as tasty ones?

Thanks Smile

The trouble with writing recipes and presenting them on TV is that whereas something can look unhealthy, you're not asking people to eat it every day, and my own philosophy (which I'm quite emphatic about) is that there's no such thing as 'unhealthy food'. What there is, however, is unhealthy excess. So, if you want to roast a chicken smothered in butter, it's okay as long as you're having a balanced diet in every other area, and I think cookery presenters should not get blamed - the responsibility is on each of us ourselves to create a balanced diet.

The way I handle this is to only have cakes, sweets or desserts at weekends, and I never, ever eat factory-made snacks, and chocolate bars!
Please
or

CMOTDibbler · 28/02/2013 13:51

Hi Delia, I've cooked from your books all my life, and are still my 'go to' books.

In your career, what media reports have made you laugh most? I enjoyed the storm over your runny eggs !

And its brilliant you tested all your new cake recipes for gf - is this noted in the book?

Please
or

Calypso2 · 28/02/2013 13:51

Hi Delia. My children have just started cooking and I want to make sure they are equipped with basic skills before they leave home. My thoughts are: Pastry, roux sauce, pasta sauce, basic cakes, omelettes (and other egg dishes) and roast dinner. Is there anything else you think I should teach them? They are 14, 13 and 10.

Please
or

LaVitaBellissima · 28/02/2013 13:51

Hi Delia, love your books and I just wanted to say you looked Fab on Graham Norton a few weeks ago!

Do you like shopping and dressing up? Where do you shop on the high st?

Please
or

DeliaSmith · 28/02/2013 13:52

@MrsLyman

Hello, am I too late for a question? I'm currently trying to expand my range of family dinners. What is your favourite quick, easy but delicious dinner?

One quick recipe we always like from the How To Cheat book is the Thai chicken. It really is so fast, and so easy, and then we always serve it with the Thai fragrant rice.
Please
or

motherofallmuddles · 28/02/2013 13:53

Ah ha - will practise at the weekend- thank you. May well have to send you a photo if successful !
[smile ]

Please
or

GeraldineMumsnet · 28/02/2013 13:53

Delia, you were kind enough to sign one of your books for my mum last time you visited MNHQ. She was having a very tough time and your book helped to cheer her up that Christmas, so thank you very much.

She's a lifelong devotee and I think you'd be on the same page about celebrity chefs Wink. I'll make sure to show her Delia Online. She'll be v interested.

And on a personal note, your ginger cake with lemon icing recipe is brilliant! It never fails.

Please
or

DeliaSmith · 28/02/2013 13:53

@MonkeyGoneToHeaven

Hi Delia. I'd like to ask if you think that the obesity crisis can be tackled (partly) by children spending more time in proper cooking lessons in school. Perhaps the government needs an adviser...would you be up for it?!

Hello Monkeygonetoheaven:
Yes, I really do think the obseity crisis can be tackled and I cannot get it into my head why nobody on all the media programmes and newspaper articles has never yet understood that if you don't teach young people to cook they'll never know and they'll eat too much junk food. Please will all the mum's net members look at the online cookery school with their children. I am now utterly determined to teach anyone who wants to cook how, whatever age. And once again I will be grateful for any feedback.
Please
or

DeliaSmith · 28/02/2013 13:55

@LaVitaBellissima

Hi Delia, love your books and I just wanted to say you looked Fab on Graham Norton a few weeks ago!

Do you like shopping and dressing up? Where do you shop on the high st?

Well, this really is going to be confession time! I absolutely hate shopping, and I'm useless, but I've been lucky enough to have someone to help me when I do television appearances, so if I looked good, it was all down to her and the makeup artist! One of the best places to go to look at clothes, if you've got the time in London, is Marylebone Highstreet.
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.