Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau and Working Families while Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Money Matters

How much electricity does my Ninja Foodi consume?

16 replies

Soffit · 01/04/2022 10:25

I have become pretty reliant upon it recently. I think it is a miracle machine but it is obviously very powerful and for obvious reasons, I am now wondering this?!

OP posts:
Please
or

JudgeRindersMinder · 01/04/2022 10:32

What’s the wattage?

Please
or

EmbarrassingHadrosaurus · 01/04/2022 10:32

You should be able to work it out here. You'll be able to see the wattage somewhere on the appliance or in the manual.

www.novielectrics.uk/how-to-calculate-electricity/

Please
or

SquishySquirmy · 01/04/2022 10:38

Can you look up the specs? Must be online somewhere.

A) See what the power consumption is (it will be given in watts (w) or kw). This is power NOT energy so you need to know how long it is on for to calculate the energy.

B) If you were to run this continuously for an hour, then take the number from (A) and this will be the energy consumed in Wh or kWh (watt hours or kilowatt hours).

Eg, a 1000 watt appliance will use 1000wh, or 1kwh of energy in one hour. It will use 500 Wh (or 0.5 kWh) in half an hour. It will use 2 kWh in 2 hours. Etc.
How long do you run it for each time you use it? Use this to calculate the energy use.

C) your electricity bill will tell you much you are charged for each kWh of energy. Multiply this by the number of kWh use.

The above works for estimating the cost of other appliances too.
But you need to know the power consumption, the length of time the appliance will be on for, and the cost per kWh of the electricity.

Please
or

Soffit · 01/04/2022 10:49

Its 2460W but I usually use it for ten to fifteen minutes

OP posts:
Please
or

Soffit · 01/04/2022 10:50

I pay around 19p pkwh

OP posts:
Please
or

JudgeRindersMinder · 01/04/2022 11:02

So for 15 minutes use (if I can remember school physics!) the cost is 2.46 x 19 x 0.25 =12p, which doesn’t sound too bad to me

Please
or

SquishySquirmy · 01/04/2022 11:17

I agree with JudgeRindersMinder's maths.
12p doesn't seem too bad!

Your electricity unit charge is a lot lower than mine! I'm on around 28p per kWh so it would cost me 17.2p. Still not too bad though.

Please
or

EmbarrassingHadrosaurus · 01/04/2022 11:51

Is the Ninja making it possible to sustain a particular way of eating that you feel is good for the health of you and anybody else for whom you prepare food?

I have a very powerful grinder that I use for making nut-free butters for a family member with a coeliac condition and nut-allergy to work around. I make very smooth pate for someone with low iron.

That has a non-costable value that is still worth taking into account.

Please
or

Soffit · 01/04/2022 13:55

@JudgeRindersMinder

So for 15 minutes use (if I can remember school physics!) the cost is 2.46 x 19 x 0.25 =12p, which doesn’t sound too bad to me

Thanks - I think I can live with that!
OP posts:
Please
or

Soffit · 01/04/2022 13:55

@SquishySquirmy

I agree with JudgeRindersMinder's maths.
12p doesn't seem too bad!

Your electricity unit charge is a lot lower than mine! I'm on around 28p per kWh so it would cost me 17.2p. Still not too bad though.

That's interesting. I have no idea why there would be so much variation. I have not taken the standing charge into account though!
OP posts:
Please
or

Soffit · 01/04/2022 13:58

@EmbarrassingHadrosaurus

Is the Ninja making it possible to sustain a particular way of eating that you feel is good for the health of you and anybody else for whom you prepare food?

I have a very powerful grinder that I use for making nut-free butters for a family member with a coeliac condition and nut-allergy to work around. I make very smooth pate for someone with low iron.

That has a non-costable value that is still worth taking into account.

Yes - it allows me to produce restaurant quality food with very little effort which is much harden to do using the oven, hob and grill. It also seems to work at the speed of light (well, almost!).

Your grinder sounds powerful like my Vitamix. I haven't costed that because I would only use it for seconds and it has fallen out of use recently.
OP posts:
Please
or

Daftasabroom · 01/04/2022 14:00

2460W is the maximum, I doubt it will be doing that all the time so 10p for 15min is probably more realistic and even better!

Please
or

SquishySquirmy · 01/04/2022 14:52

I think the standing charge doesn't matter in this instance. Because you would be paying it no matter how much/little you use the Ninja.

Please
or

SquishySquirmy · 01/04/2022 14:54

Anyway it sounds like a very efficient way to cook a meal!

Please
or

LadyJaneHall · 01/04/2022 14:56

A Ninja foodi uses much less electricity than using the main oven so definitely a money saver, even if you do not know exact costs.

Please
or

Soffit · 01/04/2022 15:22

That's great to know - thanks for working it out. I am now curious about whether a robot vacuum consumes less than a regular Miele Cat & Dog!

The robot spends a lot of time on charger, repeating zones, recharging, setting off again. I spend a good amount of time on the Miele but it's suction is more powerful and I like to think I can efficiently vacuum in 30 minute what the Robot would take several hours doing quietly..

OP posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?