Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Mattress protector symbols say no tumble dry; would you risk it?

DorotheaPlenticlew · 21/02/2010 10:21

We only have one for our bed; it's a king size waterproof-backed John Lewis one and I only bought one 'cos it was expensive-ish. It takes AGES to air dry though, because the moisture stays in the corners of the plasticky bits. I usually end up just remaking the bed without it so we go a week without having one at all (is only for emergencies anyway, DP and I don't actually wet the bed )

We now have a tumble dryer, anyone know if throwing it in there will actually destroy/melt it? Would be nice to just wash it and get it back on the bed same day.

OP's posts:
Please
or

DappledThings · 30/01/2018 15:42

I know it's a zombie, I apologise but Iover that when I googled tumble dry mattress protector this is the first hit I got!

Doesn't really matter it's a zombie, it's not exactly a question that has a time limit but anyone else tried it and it's OK? I just sprayed stain remover all over it before I checked the instructions!

Please
or

mumdrivenmad · 10/03/2010 18:25

I chuck mine over a door to dry.

Please
or

DorotheaPlenticlew · 21/02/2010 17:54

Cheers for all tips.

Am officially a slattern now. Having decided to leave it off the bed this week, wash it and hang it dry for next week, I then left it to one side while I went to get clean sheets.

Then I got distracted by MN other pressing matters for a couple of hours, returned to bedroom and, on autopilot, put it back on the bed and remade with clean sheets on top.

No way am I taking everything off again now [slattern]

OP's posts:
Please
or

SparkyToo · 21/02/2010 17:31

We've got one of these waterproof mattress protectors which, on the washing instructions, says you can tumble dry them on a cool setting. It has a polyurethane backing, so if your mattress protector also has a polyurethane backing then maybe it's worth giving it a go. I must admit, even though it says I can tumble dry it, I never have as I am worried I'll do it on too hot a setting and it will melt or shrink or something! It does mean that you need two of them though.

Please
or

psychomum5 · 21/02/2010 15:31

I get mine in primark now.

very cheap, and comfy (not luxurious, but good enough), and wash and dry pretty good.

they don;t last forever, I replace mine yearly, but as I change my bedding at least every 2wks, they are used and washed a lot so yearly I think is pretty good. especially for the price (less than £15 for king size).

Please
or

psychomum5 · 21/02/2010 15:29

nope, don;t try it.

I did

they melted

Please
or

BuzzingNoise · 21/02/2010 15:08

I wouldn't.

Please
or

emsyj · 21/02/2010 15:07

I did it with a cheap one and the elastic melted!!!! Don't risk it!

Please
or

milkandcookies · 21/02/2010 11:45

I have always put mine in the tumble dryer and on high temp, they have been fine. Never shrank

Please
or

DorotheaPlenticlew · 21/02/2010 10:41

Ah well, glad I asked!

Should probably buy a spare and just swap them like a normal person.

OP's posts:
Please
or

LynetteScavo · 21/02/2010 10:40

Only do it if you have a very low temp setting.

Please
or

Nevergoogledragonbutter · 21/02/2010 10:39

Don't do it!

Please
or

callmeovercautious · 21/02/2010 10:38

No. The elastic went in ours and now slips down all the time.

Try hanging it over a radiator, turning it regularly?

Please
or

Babbit · 21/02/2010 10:37

No. I did it. It shrank.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.