Sewing Machine vs Overlocker

TheOtherMaryPoppinsDiets · 18/03/2009 14:14

What is the dofference between the two?

OP's posts:
Please
or
to access all these features

blossomsmine · 18/03/2009 21:04

Also an overlocker is used for stretch fabrics, dancewear/sportswear. I wanted to make dancewear and it wasn't possible until i bought an overlocker.

Please
or

TheOtherMaryPoppinsDiets · 18/03/2009 19:13

I looked in my knickers

OP's posts:
Please
or

TheOtherMaryPoppinsDiets · 18/03/2009 19:13

I getcha, thanks!

OP's posts:
Please
or

ilovesweets · 18/03/2009 17:58

An overlocker is used to join two pieces of fabric together, it sews and binds the raw edges in one action. Binding is the zig-zag enclosing all the raw edges that you will find on the inside of clothes. Overlockers use four reels of cotton at the same time. It is normally a piece of machinery used by professional machinists, or experienced sewers.

A sewing machine can only sew the two pieces together, it cannot bind at the same time. You would have to go back and finish the raw edges seperately. Most sewing machines have a zig-zag stitch but it does not completely bind the edges like an overlocker.

For what you want to make, you need a sewing machine. If you go to John Lewis they will give you demonstrations and they have some very good basic machines.

Please
or

mamhaf · 18/03/2009 17:30

Have a look inside whatever you're wearing. Unless it's Prada or the like it'll have seams which are overlocked - an overlocker uses 3 or 4 reels of thread which as well as joining the seam also finishes it off so it doesn't fray.

If you're making a duvet you don't need to finish a seam, as it's mostly on the inside.

And you can use a zig-zag stitch on a sewing maching to finish seams, although it does mean doing it in 2 steps.

Please
or

TheOtherMaryPoppinsDiets · 18/03/2009 17:27

thanks

still none the wiser what an overlocker actually does really though, I'm so thick

OP's posts:
Please
or

mamhaf · 18/03/2009 17:17

Yes, definitely a sewing machine - an overlocker wouldn't allow you to put in a zip on a cushion cover for example. Get one with a zig-zag function - most of them have these I think.

If you buy from a dealer they can usually arrange a sewing lesson too, although you might have to pay a small amount for that.

You may decide to invest in an overlocker at some time in the future though - they're great for whizzing straight, finished seams quickly but not versatile enough for everything.

Have fun!

Please
or

TheOtherMaryPoppinsDiets · 18/03/2009 14:49

[nods and pretends she knows what you mean]

Right what I want to do is make cushions/duvet covers/napkins/tablecloths/dolls clothes maybe with applique on them.

Sewing machine then?

OP's posts:
Please
or

mamhaf · 18/03/2009 14:47

An overlocker alone is no good...it'll overlock edges (like you see on t-shirts etc), but there are some things it won't do like putting up a hem or sewing a traditional seam.

I think there might be some higher-end sewing machines which have basic overlocking capabilities built in, but otherwise get a basic sewing maching and separate overlocker.

Please
or

TheOtherMaryPoppinsDiets · 18/03/2009 14:14

difference...

[dodgy allo allo emote]

OP's posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.