My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Find cleaning advice from other Mumsnetters on our Housekeeping forum.

Housekeeping

To think it's not unusual to own more than one vacuum?

88 replies

Userno36367363 · 19/11/2022 12:40

Or am I mad?

I have a Henry which I bought about 8 years ago, love him and he's never gone wrong but it's never just a quick clean up with it. Mainly just use him for the car and cleaning up after diy projects now or when I'm spring cleaning and want to get in every gap. I have since got a dog and Henry not good on pet hair.

about 4 years ago I bought a cordless dyson v7 which is still going okay with several new parts but I love it for quick clean ups, okay with pet hair

last year I bought a shark, I have owned a shark previously and didn't last long but decided on a new one. I bought it because my daughter suffers from allergies and it's great for getting every last bit of dust up.

henry is in the cupboard, dyson on the wall and shark gets left out so doesn't take up too much room.

also have a crappy handheld for the car which I wish I never bought and it's pants.

Dp thinks I'm mad. Mil thinks I'm mad! Everyone thinks I am mad.

I have owned other brands in the past that broke after a year - hoover, vax etc!

but they all have their own purpose in a busy family home with a dog and kids!

OP posts:
MangoBiscuit · 19/11/2022 12:45

I have an older dyson for cleaning up after DIY, or doing the occasional deep clean, a eufy robovac that runs daily, and two small handheld vacuums, one upstairs, and one down. And that's in a house with mostly hard flooring, that gets swept everyday. Kids and cats.

WHEREEL · 19/11/2022 12:45

I’ve just been diagnosed with a severe dust allergy. I have a Henry anti-allergen arriving today specifically I so can set it up to clean the mattress and bedding and leave it like that. Once it’s set up Ill whip it out every morning and give the bed a good hoovering before I start work.

If I like this one I’ll get another for the floors, then we have a cordless dyson for a quick hoover around when my toddlers made a mess

FallingsHowIFeel · 19/11/2022 12:50

I think 3 vacuums in a house is reasonable. We have one upstairs, one downstairs, one for cars.

We have also have got a robot one but it sends the dogs crazy so we hardly use it.

TheSausageKingofChicago · 19/11/2022 12:52

I have my miele downstairs which I love, and a shark upstairs which I don’t love. My cleaners bring their own Henry. I’ve never considered this unreasonable.

Fairislefandango · 19/11/2022 12:52

I have a Henry and hate him with a passion. I also have a robot vacuum cleaner, but I've never had more than one non-robot vacuum cleaner at once - I find that a bit weird!

PuttingDownRoots · 19/11/2022 12:56

I can understand one upstairs and one downstairs. But three does seem unnecessary.

I have one. Its 11 years old and works fine.

RosesAndHellebores · 19/11/2022 12:57

I have a miele for downstairs and the stairs, an upright for the first floor and a cordless for quick jobs and the top stairs.
Also a steam mop for the hard floors.

I don't think it's at all unusual.

Wiccan · 19/11/2022 13:04

No you're not mad 😂 I have 1 for DIY , 1 for the cars , 1 GTech pet system , 1 for upstairs .

ZeldaWillTellYourFortune · 19/11/2022 13:14

I own three. And use them

Pantst · 19/11/2022 13:16

I have an upstairs one, a downstairs one and a handheld one 🤷🏻‍♀️ pets and toddlers make this a necessity for me.

Joolsin · 19/11/2022 13:21

I think it's unusual, but reading PPs with their multiple hoovers, maybe I'm the unusual one!! Hoovers take up so much space I can't imagine storing them all over the fecking house. I have one, a Dyson, and it lives under the stairs.

princesspeppax · 19/11/2022 13:24

I don't think its that unusual, I also have and use more then 1 hoover. I have a miele I keep upstairs use once a week, a shark corded downstairs in cupboard use it once a week then a shark cordless in the kitchen I use daily morning and night to do run arounds with.

Roselilly36 · 19/11/2022 13:25

YANBU at all, before we downsized, I had two cordless vacuums downstairs, one cordless upstairs and g tech handheld.

MarthasGotASock · 19/11/2022 13:25

I have a cordless Dyson for the kitchen mainly and all hard wood floors downstairs. Then a Miele Cat and Dog for the lounge which is carpeted and the bedrooms, landing and stairs, also carpeted.

I also have a wet and dry shop vac to clean up after DIY and I cleaned the filter on that this morning which was completely clogged with dust from us laying new flooring. This is why we have it.

fourquenelles · 19/11/2022 13:27

Pantst · 19/11/2022 13:16

I have an upstairs one, a downstairs one and a handheld one 🤷🏻‍♀️ pets and toddlers make this a necessity for me.

Snap!

2pinkginsplease · 19/11/2022 13:29

Wow, this is bizarre,

I dont know anyone in real life that own more than 1 vacuum cleaner!

Fluffnotscruffy · 19/11/2022 13:29

I have 3. A shark upright which I despise and never ever use, a shark cordless which I use upstairs and a eufy robot for downstairs.

Robot gets the most use.

GiantKitten · 19/11/2022 13:29

I’ve got 3 Mieles - 1 on each floor (top floor is just large attic room).
The 3rd one was sort of by accident; I had somehow buggered the 2nd one by removing a dupe vac bag very badly and thought I couldn’t use it any more, but somebody subsequently fiddled with it and made it ok again 🤷🏼‍♀️
(There is a quality heirarchy; downstairs has the newest and best.)
It is very handy though not to have to always lug one up and down!

SquigglePigs · 19/11/2022 13:30

We have one full size one for the house and one hand-held. Pre kids we only had one but we got the hand held one when we started weaning DD! It's also really useful for the car.

EspeciallyD · 19/11/2022 13:36

We just have one, its a Dyson cordless so very easy to carry around and its a small house so the charge is sufficient. We did have an old corded Miele as well but when it broke we didn't replace it, they take up too much space.

CaptainCreepsBourgeMobile · 19/11/2022 13:38

I don't know anyone with 3 vacuum cleaners. I have one and lug it up and down the stairs.

Duchess379 · 19/11/2022 13:41

I have 3 hoovers in total, 2 Dyson's - one upright that's about 10yrs old & faultless, it's perfect for dog hairs. The other one is a cordless which is more hassle than it's worth, but I only have rugs downstairs so it's ok for that, then I have a Vax to wash the carpets 😊

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

TrentCrimm · 19/11/2022 13:48

We have a Shark for the upstairs floors (3 storey), a Eufy that runs overnight downstairs, and a Dyson cordless to whizz round the kitchen/ living room throughout the day (we have dogs).

Also got a Bissel carpet shampoo machine (see previous comment about dogs).

Userno36367363 · 19/11/2022 13:50

Thanks all. Glad I'm not the only one who earns more than one. We are a busy household and our dog sheds like crazy!

Although I don't tend use Henry as much now I just can't get rid as he's perfect for diy mess and cleaning the car!

OP posts:
Userno36367363 · 19/11/2022 13:50

owns not earns 🤦‍♀️

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.