My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Find cleaning advice from other Mumsnetters on our Housekeeping forum.

Housekeeping

Washer/dryers that actually work

25 replies

YaFlamingGallah · 04/12/2021 08:19

Can anyone recommend a decent washer/dryer brand? I've had it up to here with Whirlpool/Indesit/Hotpoint with multiple issues over the years. We've got 3 DC so get through loads of laundry on a daily basis, and once again, despite having had it fixed, my washing is stuck in the bloody machine until the door release finally decides to let it go.

I'm now prepared to invest a bit more on a washer/dryer because I've had enough and we need a washing machine to work regularly. I don't want the Whirlpool et al brands, partly from my past experience and partly from the way they have handled the 'recalls' on their faulty machines. Has anyone got a recommendation for a brand that works well, and has some actual longevity?

----
This thread is quite old now so some of the suggestions may be out of date, but if you’ve landed here looking for washer dryer recommendations, we’ve recently updated our best washer dryer page with lots of great options, as tried and tested by Mumsnet users. We hope you find it useful.
Flowers
MNHQ

OP posts:
Shadowboy · 04/12/2021 08:26

We have a Hoover one and it’s amazing. 8kg was 5kg dry. It’s better than my old indesit dryer.

Roominmyhouse · 04/12/2021 08:28

I’ve got a Zanussi one. Was here when we bought our house 7.5 years ago and installed a year before that. There are only 2 of us so we don’t do as much washing as a family would but we’ve had no issues with it.

Fromage · 04/12/2021 08:34

Bosch.

And if you are looking for a washer dryer, good luck. Never found one that didn't lump out hot, damp, creased laundry.

And I have a feeling turdpool, grotpoint and indeshit are all the same group of arseholes, and yes, you might have guessed that I have had my fair share of duff appliances from them too. Grin

And if you have the money, Miele.

IneedareallifeAlexa · 04/12/2021 09:30

I had a top of the range Bosch one that was nothing but trouble. I thought choosing a more expensive one would mean it might work. I had so many engineer call-outs that in the end it was written off.

I swapped it for a mid range Bosch washer and a very cheap 4kg Indesit vent dryer that is awesome!

IneedareallifeAlexa · 04/12/2021 09:32

The 4kg obviously has a smaller capacity (can still dry a king size duvet cover if necessary) but it is physically a smaller machine too.

Oblomov21 · 04/12/2021 09:55

Mn consensus is that no washer /dryers are decent isn't it? I would like one, but every mn thread I've read says they are all naff.

DameCelia · 04/12/2021 10:00

Are you looking for one machine to do both jobs @YaFlamingGallah ? Because that means compromising a lot.
A separate dryer is always going to be better.

user0176 · 04/12/2021 10:02

Very happy with my AEG, it's not better than our separate tumble dryer that we keep in the garage, but it's better than just a washing machine in the house if that makes sense?! It's good at small-medium loads, but when I'm doing several loads or bedding I do use the separate tumble dryer too as it's quicker. But for washing during the week it's great for getting a load on in the morning and it being washed and dried by lunch. The main downside is clothes come out more crinkly.

MN hates washer dryers, but if you don't have the option of a separate dryer there are washer dryers that do the job.

Hockeyboysmum · 04/12/2021 10:06

All washer driers suck. I have one but very very rarely use the drier

Roominmyhouse · 04/12/2021 10:07

@Oblomov21

Mn consensus is that no washer /dryers are decent isn't it? I would like one, but every mn thread I've read says they are all naff.

It is but the opinions mainly come from people with space for separate washers and dryers. And people who do shit loads of washing. For people who do smaller amounts of washing and don’t have much space they do work. The dryer load is smaller and it takes a while but I’m only really drying small amounts or bedding/towels which is only once a week for me.
KitBot · 04/12/2021 10:09

Meile. Brilliant

MrsBudd · 04/12/2021 10:11

Samsung Ecobubble.

JamMakingWannaBe · 04/12/2021 10:24

Find space for a separate dryer. Anywhere...

Doodlepoodle1 · 04/12/2021 10:31

I got the expensive JL one.. was about £800 though. It has a massive 10kg drum which I have to say I love, having previously had a 7kg one. Means I wash less frequently. The tumble dry side is also good, but unlike most people I tend to just use it for towels etc so I couldn't comment on whether it leaves clothes creased. I think generally tumble driers are bad for the environment and clothes so I put things on the line or heated airer if I can.

Iamanicepersonreally · 04/12/2021 10:38

I've got a Samsung and it's better than my previous one which was an AEG. I picked Samsung because of the five year guarantee.
I'd love a Miele but can't justify the expense, and my Samsung works perfectly.

iloveredwine · 04/12/2021 10:51

I have the LG direct drive one. Its brilliant and very quiet. Very impressed with it. Not cheap though

YaFlamingGallah · 04/12/2021 11:07

Loads to think about...thanks all.

@DameCelia I thought I wanted to have a combination washer/dryer, but didn't realise MN said no. We could just about do it as per @JamMakingWannaBe's plea albeit a bit awkward and that would give us more washing load in a separate washer which we probably need.

Either way I've got some other brands to look in to now. You'd really have thought though that someone would have designed a decent washer/dryer, given the fact that most UK households don't always have the space for separate ones and the weather is generally shite for drying.

OP posts:
EvilRingahBitch · 04/12/2021 11:12

I thought I didn't have space for a tumble dryer and then I measured the space under the stairs. A condenser dryer can go literally anywhere you have a spare 60cm square footprint.

stayathomer · 04/12/2021 11:16

Oblomov21

I can never recommend having one enough but we've made awful choices the last few years and now have a lovely drier that leaves things slightly slightly damp. I hate indesit. Hate hate hate!!!!

DustyDoorframes · 04/12/2021 11:22

Washer dryers are always going to be a bit flaky, as they are doing two opposite things!
We have a John Lewis one (cheapest Which Best Buy) which is ok. Which said to get the extended 5 year warranty (washer dryers being the only appliance they recommend this) and I'm glad we did- we got our machine 8 years ago, they came out every year for 5 years, then decided it was done for, so gave us a free new machine - with new 5 year warranty- 2 weeks before the end of the plan! We've not needed to call them out since,

Shadowboy · 04/12/2021 14:05

I don’t understand why people say they are rubbish? Ours is brilliant. Dries a 5kg load in an hour. It’s better than our own solo drier indesit. Are people just over loading them or are they never emptying the filters? Ours is a year old and I honestly would not want to do without it. It’s only negative is the silver door is a bit ‘in your face’

Crepuscularshadows · 04/12/2021 14:13

I've only ever had shit washer dryers. However, there is a knack to it. Let the washing cycle finish. Take everything out, shake each item as you put it back in, but only return half the load. Dry it, then do the same for the second load.

Forgive me if we're in sucking eggs territory, but it took me five years to work it out! Blush

daisyducky · 04/12/2021 14:16

Samsung eco bubble does a decent job

Roselilly36 · 08/12/2021 10:15

The Bosch Serie 6 10kg is awesome, great performance & drying, would recommend. Around £1k. I have the silver model.

Wildwood6 · 08/12/2021 10:27

I've had a couple of Bosch washer dryers over the years and have always been really happy with them.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.