My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Find cleaning advice from other Mumsnetters on our Housekeeping forum.

Housekeeping

Bissell carpet cleaner

8 replies

PurpleCurtain · 20/09/2021 21:55

My SIL has just given us their bissell spotpro carpet cleaner. Apparently they have only used it once, around 4 months ago, and didn't ever empty the water out until last week when they decided to offer it to us.

As far as I can tell it doesn't smell and there doesn't look to be mold or mildew in it, but I'm unsure about using something that might make my carpet dirtier rather than cleaner (given our carpet isn't especially dirty to start with - I'd just mentioned that we have a newborn and it would be useful to have something to clean any spills!).

Does anyone have one of these - are they any good? And would you just use it again without deep cleaning it / if not then how do I clean it out suitably to ensure it's good to use?

OP posts:
cheeseychovolate · 21/09/2021 20:00

I'd probably use disinfectant to clean the water container. Then I'd probably use it on something like an old rug to see how it turns out before using it on a carpet and also you'll be able to see if it leaves a smell on the rug.

itsmeagainagain · 21/09/2021 20:02

Has it got 2 tanks a dirty and a clean water? I have a Bissell spot cleaner and I’d just cleans out both tanks prior to use should be fine

Invasionofthegutsnatchers · 21/09/2021 20:05

Are these effective at cleaning? We have new carpets, 2DCs and pets so I'm considering buying one.

enragedhedgehog · 21/09/2021 20:11

Mine made my ancient sofa look like a new sofa. It's done a brilliant job on the car seats and dog's bed.

enragedhedgehog · 21/09/2021 20:12

Haven't tried it on my rugs yet but if it does a similar job as it did the sofa and car seats I'll be happy.

Invasionofthegutsnatchers · 21/09/2021 20:26
Smile
Mynameismargot · 21/09/2021 20:39

The dirty water after cleaning just sits in the dirty tank. I can't imagine that it would make your carpet dirtier as the clean water tank is completely separate so dirty and clean don't mix.

TerribleCustomerCervix · 21/09/2021 20:41

I just got one of these a few weeks ago and it’s my new favourite thing.

I have two filthy toddlers and pale fabric sofas- it’s fantastic. I got the pet version with the stronger motor in anticipation of the tougher stains.

DD was sick on her carpet in the middle of the night a week before I got it, and despite cleaning it immediately, the smell lingered Envy . I used the bissell on it and it’s like a new carpet.

Wouldn’t worry too much about cleaning it- I’d just the tanks a good rinse with some hot water to set my mind at ease.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.