My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Find cleaning advice from other Mumsnetters on our Housekeeping forum.

Housekeeping

Is there anything else I can try to remove these stains?

30 replies

ahagwearsapointybonnet · 07/04/2020 15:07

I've been trying to clean 2 chair cushions while we're locked down - both Ikea Poang chairs, so the covers are removable and can be machine-washed. But both of them have stubborn stains (in places I can't easily hide) which I've not yet been able to get out. So far I have tried: Normal machine washing with standard detergent; Spray-on stain remover (Sainsbury's - it's often quite good for greasy spots); Vanish stain remover bar (rubbed in and left for a while before washing again); and a Dr. Beckmann's stain remover bar from my mum, as well as leaving them in the sun for a while - but the stains have got a bit paler but are still quite visible.

I don't know what the stains are - one is orangey so may be curry or something tomato-ey, the other is brown so possibly something like gravy or strong coffee. Can't use bleach as they are both coloured - the first one is blue and the second is a beige fabric with a print of green and brown leaves (unfortunately the stain is in a beige section).

Is there anything else I could try to get them out? Ideally something I might already have or can reasonably easily get hold of. Thanks in advance!

OP posts:
ahagwearsapointybonnet · 22/04/2020 22:32

Hey all, thanks for the new suggestions! I already sorted the cushions (using a combo of things, see above!) but you never know, they may help someone else SmileFlowers

OP posts:
Mmpip · 22/04/2020 20:12

If it's a protein stain then it shouldn't be washed in hot water as it will 'set' the stain. Always use cold water and just gently agitate to reduce or remove stain. If this doesn't remove the stain completely then the garment should be left in the sunshine to naturally bleach it.....This has always worked for me....Good luck..

Longpinknails · 22/04/2020 19:12

Go over with dry kitchen towel whilst it’s damp.... not damp damp Smile

Longpinknails · 22/04/2020 19:10

I just bought some Dr Beckmann Carpet cleaner bottles from Amazon. They come in a pair ( bottles that have brushes on top) they say ‘carpet’ cleaner but it says you can use in upholstery too. We have material covered armchairs, the back cushions are all washable/removable, but the solid arms aren’t. There were some stains on a couple of the arms. They were old stains and a little bit ‘greasy’ looking Blush I did use a throw casually over the arm to cover them up. But I thought I’d give this a try. I have had to go over the stains 3 times now because they are old stains, but they’re significantly so much better. You use just the ‘foam’ and work it in, but I did over wet it a bit. The trick I found was to go over it all afterwards with some kitchen towel damp damp. Ireally rubbing it in and pushing it out, if you know what I mean. It must blot up the stain as it did colour the towel slightly ( but not the colour of the arm...the dirt/stain I mean) I’m going to go over it once again at the weekend and I think I will get the remainder completely clean. It dried really quick too...within a couple of hours. They look almost new again.

loopy1906 · 22/04/2020 19:03

Hi, I had tried vanish and other expensive stain removal things from just about everywhere, even buying online and with zero results. My Husband and son were messy eaters because of wolfing there food down and also Long term Martial Artists. I invented I wonderful back to basics and very cheap life saver for any stain going. Good old Fairy Platinum washing up liquid. I poor a little boiling water over any stain then fairy Platinum over top. Rub it in with and old toothbrush then a little washing powder and tiny bit more water from kettle. Leave for 10 minutes for it to work it’s magic and then put on a normal wash with your powder/softener and hey presto. It has got curry stains/ mud/ground in grass, everything. My son has a daughter now and his wife to be is very pleased that she listened and learned something from future wonder mum in law, instead of wasting her money on expensive stuff i.e Vanish. Vanish is a rip off

Loobylu44 · 22/04/2020 19:00

I would give autoglym interior shampoo spray, it’s meant for cars but I use it on carpets and cushions. Seems pretty good!

Mmpip · 22/04/2020 18:13

Keep them outside in the sun. It might take a while for the stains to disappear but persevere, it will work......!!!!

mantlepiece · 22/04/2020 18:03

I would dye them.

KatyMac · 20/04/2020 12:55

Thanks both - it's my thing!! I promoted myself to 'Eco-designer' earlier this year

steppemum · 18/04/2020 16:32

KatyMac - what a great idea to use old tablecloths, that is really lovely.

ahagwearsapointybonnet · 18/04/2020 16:25

That's lovely KatyMac!

OP posts:
caringcarer · 18/04/2020 00:01

Soak overnight in Biotex

KatyMac · 17/04/2020 23:55

No worries - I use old tablecloths to make children's dresses and often use that on food stains (hence the bio washing powder)

It's pretty powerful stuff (but as you see it works)

Is there anything else I can try to remove these stains?
ahagwearsapointybonnet · 17/04/2020 23:52

Well I was getting some improvements (but very slow) with the various methods suggested plus as much sunshine at I could manage, but the stains were still visible though a bit paler, but I think KatyMac has found the holy grail Grin

I actually combined both suggestions and made a paste of a teaspoon of bio washing powder, a teaspoon of soda crystals and a little water and rubbed it into the stains (I tested a bit on the back of the cushions first as was worried it might bleach them, but it didn't seem to) and left it on for a few hours, then rinsed it out and hung them in the sun again and on the first go they were about 90% gone afterwards, so I repeated it this morning and would say they're totally unnoticeable now 😃 I only wish I'd been a bit gentler with the early attempts, as the blue cushion has gone slightly roughened where the mark was from scrubbing at it, but it's not that noticeable and better than the orange splodge it had before! Now they just need to finish drying and then I'll put them back on in the morning, hopefully they've not shrunk too much with all the reading and I can get the foam back in (I remember it not being easy the last time I washed them!).

Thanks again for all the good advice! Flowers

OP posts:
KatyMac · 14/04/2020 17:18

Washing soda is good or bio washing powder (not a table or a capsule old fashioned washing powder) in a paste or soaked in a strong solution over night

uncomfortablydumb53 · 14/04/2020 17:13

I find Biotex powder really good
It's in a small green box
Soak overnight then wash as normal
It even removed permanent hair dye from a cream top

MikeUniformMike · 11/04/2020 21:12

I had muddy paws stains on a poang cover and I used Ariel stain remover on it. It worked. it was like washing liquid but you rub it into the stain. It was a few years ago so don't know if they still do it.

ahagwearsapointybonnet · 11/04/2020 12:19

Well I didn't get round to doing anything more on them the last couple of days, and it also wasn't sunny... But today it is, so I have rubbed in some of my Mothercare Napisan stuff, going to soak them for a while in a bit, then try washing with washing up liquid and dry in the sun. If that doesn't fix it I'll try the bicarb and vinegar and more sun tomorrow. Buying new ones is a last resort as I'd rather not spend that much and especially for the blue one I probably wouldn't get the same blue (which matches the sofa)!

OP posts:
LoveLongLife · 11/04/2020 00:35

how did it go, op?

browneyesblue · 08/04/2020 22:17

I’d leave them in the sun longer - at least a couple of days.

MikeUniformMike · 08/04/2020 21:54

I'd just get new covers from Ikea or ebay.

ahagwearsapointybonnet · 07/04/2020 23:40

And I have dishwashing liquid too of course so can try that as well!

OP posts:

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

ahagwearsapointybonnet · 07/04/2020 23:39

I also have, if not Napisan then at least the Mothercare version which is hopefully similar, so I could try that too! Thanks for the tips!

OP posts:
ahagwearsapointybonnet · 07/04/2020 23:38

I have tried one sort of elbow grease 😄 Maybe even a bit too much on one of them, as the fabric is starting to look a bit worn round the stained bit. Can try the sort that comes in bottles if I can get hold of it.. I do have bicarb and vinegar and could try that tomorrow.

OP posts:
LoveLongLife · 07/04/2020 20:19

Napisan.

FirT I wet the area and run dry napisan powder in, then whack it on napisan soak overnight, finally wash and bingo.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.