My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Find cleaning advice from other Mumsnetters on our Housekeeping forum.

Housekeeping

Cleaning wooden floors

17 replies

TeaDrinkingBumbleeBee · 10/07/2019 10:04

Sorry for the boring post! I know I can Google this/use common sense but really helps to hear reviews/opinions from real people!

Me and DP recently moved to a lovely flat but every floor is wooden throughout the flat. (Except bathroom which is tiled)

We gather sooo much dust and I shed a lot of hair. What's the best way to clean this? Hoovering is just loud and scrapes the floor pushing dust around but not actually cleaning. (Plus we have an elderly neighbour below us who complains of noise after 6pm, and we both get in at 7 or later so no chance of hoovering on weekdays!)

Wet mops in my experience get gross quickly and I worry about damaging the floor.

Has anyone used a dry mop? Can anyone recommend any to help?!

Tia :)

OP posts:
Crimson72 · 14/07/2019 09:49

Hoovering regularly is essential to get up all the dust and hair IMO! Then try Method floor cleaner with an ecloth mop. It makes my wooden floors look lovely and smells gorgeous!

letsdolunch321 · 14/07/2019 12:11

Following, my floors always look gloomy after cleaning them 😕

whoamitojudge · 15/07/2019 20:33

Yes to the Method wooden floor cleaner. You use it with a dry mop and it smells amazing

Fluffycloudland77 · 16/07/2019 19:02

I’d dry dust then damp mop every night, keep on top of it.

Rockcar101 · 16/07/2019 19:06

I also use the method wood floor cleaner .. and the odd baby wipe on the worst bits when I’m knackered and cba to get the mop out 🙀have a love hate relationship with the floors here , still not sure about them 2 years later .

Maraki · 16/07/2019 22:57

Pledge dry dusting cloths attached to a microfibre mop, but without the microfibre. They stick to the velcro of the mop, you swoosh it around and change the wipe. Game changer

Sunnysidegold · 23/07/2019 06:29

A swiffer or brush in the evening could help. I find dust bunnies gather behind doors and under beds.

I love my squirty microfibre mop...it's a vileda one and is about fifteen pounds from b and m or Dunelm type places. Fill up the bottle with your method floor cleaner squirt and mop. The pad comes off to go in the wash and because you are just spritzing your wood never is in danger of getting too wet. I do a bit of a spot clean with a damp cloth too. Wooden floors hide the dirt quite well 🥺

didireallysaythat · 23/07/2019 07:44

Robot vacuum cleaner while you're at work everyday will help

Fozzleyplum · 23/07/2019 07:47

I Hoover ours (if it's noisy, see if you Hoover head adjusts for hard surfaces). I then squirt it with Method wooden floor cleaner, which smells amazing, and get DSs to scoot around with microfibre cloths under their feet!

Ivysaurus · 24/07/2019 09:54

Sorry to butt in- this method wood floor cleaner, so do you mop the floors with hot water and normal floor cleaner if it's laminate/floor boards or best to just use this spray on the dry floor with dry mop?

EspressoX10 · 24/07/2019 12:23

Hoover + bucket with hot water with some vinegar (makes floor shiny) and few drops of essential oil of your choice (doing grapefruit and peppermint this summer) + very slightly damp mop.

EspressoX10 · 24/07/2019 14:04

Hoover + bucket with hot water with some vinegar (makes floor shiny) and few drops of essential oil of your choice (doing grapefruit and peppermint this summer) + very slightly damp mop.

BuggerOffAndGoodDayToYou · 25/07/2019 11:50

Method wooden floor cleaner and this mop.

Cleaning wooden floors
Ditto22 · 09/08/2019 16:04

I would suggest not wearing shoes in house for a start (if you currently do). Makes a huge difference. Quickly sweep up living room and kitchen every night (2 mkn job), use baby wipes very quickly sometimes and hoover once a week. Should be enough!

cakeandchampagne · 09/08/2019 23:08

Your neighbor is being unreasonable, expecting no normal housekeeping/living noises after 6pm.

soapona · 09/08/2019 23:55

Hands and knees tiny bit of detergent

Iamdobby63 · 10/08/2019 09:52

Depends on the type of floor. Mine is oiled and I found Method made it dull, I now use Bona for oiled floors and occasionally use their oil refresher. My floors are lovely now. They do other products as well. High recommend them.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.