Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Help please! Dishwasher - Full or Slimline

MeghanMc · 18/11/2011 11:57

With a DD at 16 months, I finally nagged convinced my DH to buy a dishwasher as the dish washing is just getting too much. Wink

He would like to get a slimline dishwasher as it would fit nicely next to our washing basin. Apparently it makes sense to have the dishwasher next to the basin. Confused For me, I just want to go for the full size dishwasher as it can take more dishes and I am quite happy to fit the dishwasher on the other side of the kitchen due the the lack of space next the the kitchen basin. Hmm I was told water piping would be difficult if it is on the other side of the kitchen as it involved lifting the tiled floor or the water pipe has to go underneath the floorboard to reach the other side...... I thought this type of problems would be the 'engineer' problem.

A quick summary, it's just DH, myself and DD, but both of us works. Currently I am working 3 days a week but it would be nice not to nag ask DH to do the dishes (too much grumpyness involved!). Blush

All suggestions are welcome as this debate has been going on for 3 months and Christmas is round the corner!

OP's posts:
Please
or

MeghanMc · 21/11/2011 13:16

To all mums,

Many thanks for the kind advice. We have resolve the problem of getting rid of two kitchen units!!! (one small one and a large one) and I will have to spend a full afternoon moving stuff around the kitchen. I suppose that give me a reason to declutter my cabinets!!! Blush

We will be going for full size as usually we ll have at least 2 pots and a frying pan, so would be very nice not to do any dishes :)

Thank you all for your kind advices and they are all very appreciated. Coming from someone else always sounds better than your own mother-in-law Hmm

Now just need to pick the right one. After that, I shall find new chore for my DH to do Grin

OP's posts:
Please
or

gemma4d · 20/11/2011 22:06

FFS DON'T get a rangemaster slimline. I did. I hate it.

Sure its better than washing up but to get it slimline they piled the workings in the base so as well as slimmer its shorter. I can only get one saucepan at a time in it, and the plate holders crammed in so can't get a plate in each section, can't put the saucepan in a row with the plates as there isn't room, and can't get baking trays in it at all. Not to mention that it keeps breaking and is super-sensitive to water pressure (water board doing road works 2 blocks away? Ooooh, I can't cope )

Bloody thing. Go full size. Avoid Rangemaster.

Please
or

PigletJohn · 20/11/2011 10:24

"previously I would use a mug or glass a few times myself and rinse out in between, now I use a fresh one each time in order to fill up the dishwasher"

wel, that way you're using less water, and (unless you previously rinsed it out in cold) less energy too. The amount of water and energy a modern dishwasher uses is very small, and less than washing up by hand.

Please
or

BadPoet · 19/11/2011 22:53

We moved recently, have a full-size now and left a slimline behind. Same brand (Bosch). 2 adults, 2 kids now 8&5.

I loved the slimline, and tbh found it frustrating at first having a bigger one - needing an item but realising it was in the dishwasher unwashed because it wasn't full yet, especially in the morning! And we've developed bad habits to get round that, so previously I would use a mug or glass a few times myself and rinse out in between, now I use a fresh one each time in order to fill up the dishwasher. Just become aware I do that.

I definitely find having it next to the sink very convenient and I personally would opt for a slimline there rather than a full size at the other side of the kitchen.

Please
or

NewsClippings · 19/11/2011 22:47

A full size one!

Please
or

Fizzylemonade · 19/11/2011 22:01

Slimline would be fine, you don't need to rinse anything, just scrape the food into the bin and put the plate/bowl into the dishwasher. I agree that you need the sink for emptying half drunk coffees etc but no need to rinse anything.

I have had about 3 dishwashers , some integrated. Bosch is a good make. Personally now I would be wanting one where there is a little tray at the top of the dishwasher for cutlery making full use of the bottom basket for larger items such as pans.

The only stuff I soak before putting it into the dishwasher is lasagne dish, but I have never rinsed anything like plates unless it has egg yolk on it. My current dishwasher is the cheapest beko you can find and it still performs well.

Please
or

said · 19/11/2011 21:24

Depends on the brand. Place we stayed at on holiday had a slimline Miele and it seemed to fit almost as much stuff as our full size non-Miele one

Please
or

wicketkeeper · 19/11/2011 13:34

I've had both. Normally I would say go for the full-sized version, but in your particular kitchen layout I think it would make sense to go for the slimline. Definitely easier to have it near the sink (half-empty coffee cups to empty, rinsing the worst off, putting things to soak before washing etc). You'll have to put it on more often, but you won't be wearing a path across the kitchen between sink and dishwasher - besides from what you said it sounds like a major job to fit it anywhere else.

Please
or

Heleninahandcart · 19/11/2011 12:42

Full size dishwasher is the optimum, you will be surprised how much you end of putting in there once you have it.
Plumbing to the other side of the kitchen will be more expensive and very disruptive for a few days whilst the kitchen is re tiled etc.
Unloading/loading will be harder work

If it is possible to get the full size next to the sink, this is your solution. That cupboard will not seem like such a sacrifice once you have your lovely new toy domestic assistant

Please
or

maybunny · 18/11/2011 17:57

I woudl definately day get a full size one - even with just me DH and DD I can easily do 2 or 3 loads a day when I am cooking up meals for the freezer for DD. A saucepan takes up so much room! I am very surprised at how quickly a full size one fills up so would definately recommend it over a slimline one.

Please
or

Fluffycloudland77 · 18/11/2011 14:56

Dont forget you can do baby bottles in it, you might have more than one dd in the future.

Mines got a special programme for it called extra hygiene but my mum had one in 1975 and when I came along she used to put my bottles in it.

Please
or

PigletJohn · 18/11/2011 14:42

amazingly, a modern dwr uses less hot water than a washing-up bowl.

Please
or

Fluffycloudland77 · 18/11/2011 14:01

When I wanted a dishwasher I went on dishwashing strike. I didnt wash anything for 3 days, on the 3rd day he saw sense.

Right, we have a slimline 10 place setting Bosch Logixx. It's fine for the two of us but if we entertain I need to run it twice, saying that it only uses 9ltrs (one washing up bowl) of water per cycle. We only have a slimline because we rent and a fullsize wouldnt have fitted and we cant go moving units.

Your dd wont be little for ever and when shes older will generate more cups and dishes than you can shake a stick at. I'd go for full size one, some of the Bosch ones hold 14 place settings now but are the same size as 12 place setting models.

Make sure you research how much water and electric it uses per cycle, your utility bills are only going to go up so it makes sense to get the most energy effiecent (sp) one.

I got mine off appliancesonline.co.uk who I reccomend because they were so easy to deal with. (and cheaper!).

Enjoy your dishwasher!

Please
or

shootfromthehip · 18/11/2011 13:41

I have a slimline in my current house and there is not a day that goes by when I don't miss my full size one. The only good thing is that sometimes you have to wait a while to have enough stuff in your big one to justify running it iykwim and end up waiting for stuff/ hand washing it. Other than that, the big ones are best!

Please
or

MeghanMc · 18/11/2011 13:37

Thank you for all the useful advices. Definitely helps the situation esp the 'unloading' advice. Didn't really thought of that. Blush

I will discuss this with DH again and see whether we can get a full size dishwasher and try to fit it near the basin.... probably will have to sacrifice kitchen unit and me moving whole lots of things around. Wink

OP's posts:
Please
or

emsyj · 18/11/2011 12:40

DH and I both work and only have one child but we fill our full-sized dishwasher at least once a day (sometimes twice)... Blush

We use a lot of pans though as DH is fond of cooking.

Please
or

catwithflowers · 18/11/2011 12:38

Have had both. Definitely get the full sized one

Please
or

BleughCowWonders · 18/11/2011 12:36

re positioning - I think it's far more important to have it place very close to where you unload, as this is what you do all at once, whereas you load bit by bit.

I don't need a dishwasher next to a sink. I never pre-clean, and the dishwasher has a drain in it for eg ends of mug of tea.

And I'd go for the biggest possible. :)

Please
or

PigletJohn · 18/11/2011 12:33

make sure he knows the little ones are not cheaper

big ones are far more convenient, you can put oven trays, chopping boards and pan rests off the hob in more easily.

the space problem is not so much plates and mugs, but pans which take up a lot of room

Sometimes they will fit under a drainer, but you may have to remove/change kitchen units to do it.

close to the sink is very sensible as you will want to tip stuff down there (don't get into the habit of washing things before you put them in the dw though)

It need not be "next to" but it should be within reach without having to walk about

remember that kitchen units can be moved

if you have a washer or fridge maybe you can swap things around

dwrs have to go very close to the wall, they only have a little cut-out at skirting level for the pipes to run. they are not as accomodating as washers.

If you get a good one such as a Bosch it will last more than ten years, so your one single child will be a lot bigger.

As for plumbing, it is usual to run the filling hoses and waste hose behind or inside (at the back of) the kitchen units. You can buy 5 metre hoses if necessary.

Please
or

FluffyDavis · 18/11/2011 12:21

If you are at work all day and only have one child then I would go with the slim.

It is easier having it next to the sink so if you need to rinse anything then it can be put straight in rather than drip it across the floor. Plastic cups and tubs also tend to turn over and fill with water so you can tip these into the sink.

I managed using one in our old house with 2 children and we were home all day. I only had to run it twice when I had used several pans.

If your dh is anything like mine, then it will never get fitted if its an awkward job!

Please
or

SoupDragon · 18/11/2011 12:13

I think your deciding factor will be the plumbing issue, not the size of the dishwasher.

Please
or

ElbowFan · 18/11/2011 12:11

You may be surprised at how much you can fit into a slimline dishwasher.
I didn't have enough space for a full 600mm and have a 450mm Bosch which I love!!!

The issue with the pipework is one that will also increase your installation cost substantially, as you are looking not only at inflow but the outflow into the soil pipe. The outflow will need to have sufficient 'fall' so that the water goes away, whereas next to an existing basin it has adjacent access.

Have a look at the inside layout of some of the slimline ones available, I'm sure that mine accommodates more than some people's big machines.

Please
or

wahwahwah · 18/11/2011 12:03

Oh I misread this as 'Dishwasher - Full of Slime!'

We have slimline and there are 3 of us. It works fine. Sometimes you have will need 2 loads if you have used lots of pans, but its ok. Its good for smaller families as you aren't running it half empty or having to take plates and cutlery out to rinse and use if you try to fill it up before switching it on.

Please
or

emsyj · 18/11/2011 12:02

Get a full sized one, we had a 'slimline' one in a rented house a few years ago and it was a PITA - one pan, a few cups and it's full! Waste of time IMO.

I dont kinow about the water piping situation in your kitchen, but we had pipes fed behind the kitchen cupboards for ours, we didn't have the floor dug up.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.