Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Mauritius and Dubai with a 4 year old....am i being silly?

10 replies

bananainpjs · 03/08/2022 12:54

Hello,

Me and my husband would like to go for a lovely holiday in November. We haven't been for 3 years due to the pandemic and we are planning another baby next year and my 4 year old will start school so going on a luxury holiday will be out of the question.

We want to go to Mauritius for 5 nights and Dubai for 3 nights or Ras Khaimah/Abu Dhabi all inclusive beach holiday for 7 nights.

These holidays will cost about £4/5K.

However i do not know how my 4 year old will behave...

Are we silly to spend that much going with a 4 year old? and maybe leave it for when my children are a bit older?

OP posts:
Please
or

emmathedilemma · 03/08/2022 13:16

Only you know your 4 year old and how they're likely to react in different situations but I'd suggest you need to find the sort of luxury that also has activities which will appeal to a child that age.

Please
or

MarshaBradyo · 03/08/2022 13:22

I’m about to do a holiday with a four year old and have older dc

The older dc were fine, it was fairly luxury with a club and entertainment

For dd I think she’s more of a live wire but same resort set up which I hope will help

Please
or

Lovetogarden2022 · 03/08/2022 13:22

I think it sounds lovely, but as @emmathedilemma said, try and find things that the 4 yo would enjoy. Also worth thinking about the practicalities of travelling with a 4yo - my BIL went on a 'luxury' holiday when his son was v young and it was a nightmare. The kid had a temperature and they couldn't get hold of calpol etc, and the nearest hospital (had they needed it) was only accessible by boat.

Also, I accepted before having kids that holidays would be different and I just embrace it. Having had a taste of both with my children, I would now much rather spend the money on a good all inclusive a short plane ride away, than go for less time to a fancy place where my kids might not enjoy it?

We tried a 5* hotel and all that jazz when my daughter was young, and whilst we had a lovely time, we are miles happier somewhere where kids are super welcome

Please
or

Borracha · 03/08/2022 13:28

Dubai is a great destination for a 4 year old and at that time of year, the weather will be lovely. In Dubai, hotels are incredibly family friendly and will have great facilities - kids pools, kids club etc. There's also a lot to do outside of the hotel for kids that age if you want - Atlantis Waterpark, Legoland (and Legoland Water Park), Oli Oli, Green Planet... the list is endless.

If you go to RAK, you're less likely to venture outside of the resort but they are also incredibly family friendly with great facilities to keep kids entertained. Eg Marjan Island has a big pirate ship/splash pad area that mine love.

Please
or

DPotter · 03/08/2022 13:31

Wherever you go - check there will be other children of a similar age and preferably a children's club / activities, otherwise you will be the sole entertainment for your 4yr old for the full holiday. Now you may be happy with that - is your partner also happy to take part with dawn to midnight entertainment ? We once went to a hotel which raved about it's children's club, had good reviews too. What they didn't say was that it only operated during school holidays, so of no use to us there at the end of June.

Will the hotels have children friendly meal times ? Can you arrange babysitting so you can have an evening out, or will you need to be in your room once the little one is in bed - no point going away if you have to stay in every evening.

Please
or

AliceW89 · 03/08/2022 13:41

However i do not know how my 4 year old will behave...

I think the crux of the issue is you won’t know until you try. My 2 year old pleasantly surprised me on his first holiday abroad (although I had very low expectations and we tailored the holiday around him - we spent more time at a play area you could easily find in the UK then we did by the pool). However, there is a current thread on parenting about a usually impeccably behaved 4 year old being a complete and utter nightmare on holiday in Greece. Obviously threads attract posters who can relate, but the overwhelming response has been that little kids are, at a minimum, very hard work on holiday, even when they are behaving. You are obviously quite limited due to the time of year, in that most of Europe would be out of the question if you are looking for sun. I therefore think you should go for it, as long as you are realistic about you expectations of what a luxury holiday with a pre schooler will look like.

Please
or

Flockameanie · 03/08/2022 13:45

How hot will it be? DS was crap in the heat at that age. Just wanted to spend all day indoors where it was cooler. Which really defeated the point of going! DD on the other hand would have been fine at that age and generally enjoyed travelling more. DS not so much!

Please
or

motherstongue · 03/08/2022 14:03

I wouldn’t do the amount of travelling time all the way to Mauritius for 5 days. We went for a week and I regretted not staying longer purely due to the hours of travelling. Just go to Dubai (if your conscience allows!) and spare yourselves all the extra time in the air

Please
or

MarshaBradyo · 03/08/2022 14:04

True I’d consider one luxury location and cut down travelling time

Please
or

samebutdifferentt · 03/08/2022 14:19

We’ve done both with our dc when they were similar ages and was fine but only you know your dc. Your timescale seems too short though. We went to Mauritius for 2 weeks, I would go for 10 nights at a minimum as the travel time and tiredness means you lose some time adjusting. I would recommend the Zilwa Attitude hotel for dc (not too child friendly, it is also great for adults!) perfect calm little bay, a kids club with an old ship they can play on, etc.

Ras al Khaimah is perfectly set up for families but not much else there and an hours drive to Dubai. You could easily do 6/7 nights and travel into Dubai once or twice. The hotels run a free shuttle or you can book a taxi. I wouldn’t want to go straight on to Mauritius from Dubai just as you were getting settled, choose one or the other and give yourselves time to explore and relax.

wherever you go, make sure to take a private transfer to and from the destination airport, this makes it much more straightforward with dc. Consider taking a buggy if you think your dc will sleep in the evenings and you want to stay out (for some dc including one of mine this will be a complete waste!) Take a tablet for the plane and plenty of snacks.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?