Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Paphos, Cyprus

Wishimaywishimight · 15/04/2022 10:40

Thinking of heading to Paphos in September. DH and I, both early 50s, love chilling in the sun but also doing trips, seeing historic sights etc. For evenings we love trying lots of restaurants and a drink or 2 afterwards. It would be our first visit, we usually go to the Algarve but would like to try somewhere new.

Has anyone been?

OP's posts:
Please
or

ENoeuf · 15/04/2022 10:42

We stayed in Paphos and wished weโ€™d chosen Limassol. We were in a village though with absolutely nothing to do but found Paphos a bit boring.

Please
or

chipsandpeas · 15/04/2022 10:42

yes been a few times
plenty of resturants down by the harbour - you can walk or get the bus to tomb of the kings and theres plenty of historical stuff to see round the harbour

Please
or

MustDust · 15/04/2022 10:46

For historical sites there's tomb of the King's, the mosaics, St Paul's pillar and the castle all in walking distance of Kato Pahos. So many lovely restaurants around there too. Plenty of further places you can hire a car to (they also drive on the left) or get the bus.

Please
or

RedMake88 · 15/04/2022 10:48

I think in Cyprus I would stay in Limassol. Only thing that concerns me is what the war situation might be. Cyprus has an RAF base.

Please
or

Babdoc · 15/04/2022 10:48

Some gorgeous Roman mosaics, OP. Otherwise itโ€™s just a pretty standard beach holiday. Have you considered Crete, with the Minoan ruined palace at Knossos, the archaeological museum in Heraklion, and gorge walking?

Please
or

zafferana · 15/04/2022 11:59

Paphos is a bit tacky tbh, aside from the archaeological park. It does have some nice hotels though and there's a fabulous ice cream parlour just near the gate too called E Cosi Gelateria. Limassol is nicer, although quite modern around the marina area and the historic bit is tiny with a teeny tiny castle. I do like Cyprus though, particularly if you have a car and can explore and get up to the hill towns. There are some great restaurants, lovely views and authentic experiences to be had - just get away from the coastal towns.

Please
or

Wishimaywishimight · 15/04/2022 12:09

Thanks all, great to hear from people who have been there.

I was all set to book but am niw having second thoughts! Will do a bit more research before deciding.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Tickledtrout · 15/04/2022 20:31

Just back.
Honestly, a long flight and a bit dull and expat-like. Would probably go for Lisbon, Seville or Florence if I was you at that time of year. Or mainland Greece/Greek island?

Please
or

Meredusoleil · 15/04/2022 21:23

We stayed at the Avanti Village in Paphos in April 2018 and honestly, it was one of the best holidays! We even met Stavros from BGT on the beach running a jet ski company ๐Ÿ˜†

We hired a car and drove to Limasol for a day, but we found it to touristy there. Paphos is more authentic imho.

Great food too. Still remember the chicken skewers with tzakziki sauce, even now ๐Ÿ˜‹

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?