Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Holidays

Lanzarote weather - how rainy is rainy?

24 replies

LaSevillana · 25/03/2022 12:01

I've booked Lanzarote for next week, having already rearranged once because last time it was due to rain all week and again, it doesn't look great. I don't think it's a full-on storm like last time, but it's giving rain on at least Monday and Tuesday. I don't know Lanzarote at all and was wondering if someone who knows it better would be able to tell me whether this is typical and whether 'rain' usually means a passing shower and then sun all day or a whole day of clouds and rain?

Aemet is the most pessimistic but I understand also the most likely to be accurate, as it's local? BBC weather is much more optimistic, and I'm trying to work out what to expect.

It's Costa Teguise I'm going to, if that helps!

OP posts:
Please
or

sunisblinding · 25/03/2022 12:10

Are you hiring a car? We've been in the spring before and we're glad we had a hire car, as you could then drive away from the rain.

We were in Teguise, the weather there was crap, but it was dry and sunny an hour away in playa blanca every day so we drove there most days.

It depends really. Some parts of the island can have downpours and then 40 minutes away it's lovely weather.

Please
or

Phormiumjester · 25/03/2022 12:18

I've just got back from Playa Blanca. Rained one morning on and off. Was overcast a few days. Aftetnoons were warmer when the wind dropped. Was warm enough to spend an hour in the pool late afternoon but we're quite hardy! Most people dipped a toe and walked away!
Was ok but not hot by any stretch. About the same as when we usually go in December. The wind makes it feel colder

Please
or

Phormiumjester · 25/03/2022 12:20

Definitely take warm clothes for the evening & early morning.

Please
or

LaSevillana · 25/03/2022 12:23

@sunisblinding

Are you hiring a car? We've been in the spring before and we're glad we had a hire car, as you could then drive away from the rain.

We were in Teguise, the weather there was crap, but it was dry and sunny an hour away in playa blanca every day so we drove there most days.

It depends really. Some parts of the island can have downpours and then 40 minutes away it's lovely weather.

Nope, I don't drive, sadly, so I'm stuck where I am. I was thinking in CT I could get a bus to the capital, Arrecife, but not sure there's much to do there!
OP posts:
Please
or

LaSevillana · 25/03/2022 12:24

@Phormiumjester

I've just got back from Playa Blanca. Rained one morning on and off. Was overcast a few days. Aftetnoons were warmer when the wind dropped. Was warm enough to spend an hour in the pool late afternoon but we're quite hardy! Most people dipped a toe and walked away!
Was ok but not hot by any stretch. About the same as when we usually go in December. The wind makes it feel colder

Thanks, good to know. Quite regretting booking Canaries now...I was thinking it wouldn't be warm enough but lots of people reassured me it would!

The forecast is saying 22 degrees high, which seems warm to me but as you say, the wind could make it feel much cooler.
OP posts:
Please
or

LaSevillana · 25/03/2022 12:25

@Phormiumjester

Definitely take warm clothes for the evening & early morning.

Thanks - what do you mean by warm? Would a denim jacket and light scarf be OK, or even warmer than that?
OP posts:
Please
or

Phormiumjester · 25/03/2022 13:02

We all really needed our hoodies on outside. After about 7pm it was cold. Not as in "a nice white holiday cardy over a summer maxi dress" chilly. Take a couple of good sweaters and something for your legs!
It is warm enough to sit out in the day. My kids were wet all day in the pools.

Please
or

ApolloandDaphne · 25/03/2022 13:13

I've just looked at the weather for Costa Teguise and I can't see any rain forecast in the next ten days or so. It looks set to be lovely.

Please
or

LaSevillana · 25/03/2022 13:20

@Phormiumjester

We all really needed our hoodies on outside. After about 7pm it was cold. Not as in "a nice white holiday cardy over a summer maxi dress" chilly. Take a couple of good sweaters and something for your legs!
It is warm enough to sit out in the day. My kids were wet all day in the pools.

Ah OK thanks...frustrating! I see the lows at 16-17C but I imagine that does feel colder with a wind chill!
OP posts:
Please
or

LaSevillana · 25/03/2022 13:22

@ApolloandDaphne

I've just looked at the weather for Costa Teguise and I can't see any rain forecast in the next ten days or so. It looks set to be lovely.

Different websites are saying different things...Aemet is giving rain Mon-Weds, and that's supposedly the most accurate, so a bit worried!

I'm not expecting baking hot, but I'd like it to be at least as nice as what we've had in the UK this week! Do you think swimming in the sea will be possible? I heard there's a sheltered cove near CT so was hoping to have a dip!
OP posts:
Please
or

Phormiumjester · 25/03/2022 13:26

Oh you'll be able to go in the sea. Just need a nice towel when come out. It'll be lovely.

Please
or

InkySquid · 25/03/2022 13:28

The sea temp is fairly consistent, we've always swum when we've been to the canaries in Dec/Jan/Feb. It might not be lying on the beach weather but we've always had days where it's warm enough (and I'm fairly nesh normally)

Please
or

MimosaFields · 25/03/2022 13:29

The weather app says some rain and 19C during the day. Colder at night. In my town, we had 19C yesterday and I was wearing a t-shirt, cardigan and light jacket. I would have been cold with less than than.

With the predicted temperature at night in Lanzarote, I would need my winter jacket and a light scarf

Please
or

Playgrind · 25/03/2022 13:30

I was there mid December last year, it was around 18-21 but apparently is often warmer. The days forecast for rain were light showers, apart from one morning. It was still warm enough to spend all day in (heated) pool, however I also swam in the see everyday. It will be chilly in evenings but covered legs and jumper/jacket was fine.

Please
or

caecilius1 · 25/03/2022 13:33

You can get the bus to Puerto del Carmen from CT. That has a lot to do and it's got a better climate

Please
or

caecilius1 · 25/03/2022 13:35

In that it is less windy than CT.
You'll have a good time OP, Lanzarote is lovely 😊

Please
or

No1HolidayPlanner · 25/03/2022 15:16

We go most years and find Aemet the most accurate. The canaries are not that reliable, and the cloud/wind make it feel windy. We went for 10 days one May and was cloudy/cool for 7!

We now go in July and it's great.

For winter sun it's definitely warmer than UK, but sunny days not guaranteed.

Please
or

LaSevillana · 25/03/2022 17:07

@No1HolidayPlanner

We go most years and find Aemet the most accurate. The canaries are not that reliable, and the cloud/wind make it feel windy. We went for 10 days one May and was cloudy/cool for 7!

We now go in July and it's great.

For winter sun it's definitely warmer than UK, but sunny days not guaranteed.

Yep...wish I'd gone with my gut and not listened to people suggesting it's a good place for winter sun. It's just nowhere near reliable or warm enough. Ah well.

What are temps like in July, out of interest?
OP posts:
Please
or

CraftyGin · 25/03/2022 17:11

We were in Lanzarote a couple of weeks ago - we arrived in Arrecife but spent the day in Puerto del Carmen. The weather was gorgeous - about 20C. We ate outside with no jacket or cardigan.

According to our taxi driver, there's not much in Arrecife which is why we ended up in PdC.

Please
or

No1HolidayPlanner · 25/03/2022 17:40

LaSevillana- it's mid to late twenties, sometimes more, but still a breeze so doesn't feel too hot.
Smile

Please
or

kimchichichi · 25/03/2022 17:44

I'd always recommend Tenerife over Lanzarote for winter/spring tbh.

We were in Tenerife in November and it was 27 degrees. We'd been to Lanzarote 2 years before in April and it was 17 degrees!

Please
or

Roselilly36 · 25/03/2022 18:04

I have only ever visited Lanzarote in Dec or Feb half term, always had good weather and we have visited many times. Lanzarote is awesome, I personally prefer Puerto del Carmen, but CT is also nice. I wouldn’t worry too much about rain, it’s an island in the Atlantic, rain passes over very quickly. Enjoy your visit, there is so much to see & do.

Please
or

caecilius1 · 25/03/2022 19:13

OP, I've been loads of times over Easter, at all 3 of the main resorts and the weather has always been lovely. In the evening at Easter time, you do need a fleece/cardigan but otherwise shorts & t-shirts etc during the day.
I've been to PdC in August and the heat was unbearable.

Please
or

BirdOnTheWire · 25/03/2022 19:25

I've been to all the Canary Islands at various times.
Was last in Lanzarote this time in 2018 and we had 3 days of sunshine and chilly wind followed by 4 glorious days.
I'm going in 3 weeks and have been following a FB page. They've certainly had unusually cold weather this month but it's been scorching today.

In general I would expect warm sunny days and cooler evenings (thick cardigan). CT is windier than other resorts. PdC is my favourite resort though I'm going to Playa Blanca this time
I wouldn't venture in the sea even in August, Grin it's the Atlantic not the Med and way too cold for me but I'm a wuss.
Many hotels will have heated pools up to around May.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?