Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Recommendations for Gran Canaria

EllenRipley · 21/01/2019 18:27

Opting for Gran Canaria in Feb for family (of 3) break - the internet says it's the warmest of the islands! Looking at loads of hotels on Trip Advisor but wondering if anyone who's been can recommend?

We'd like to be near a beach, resort w/ swimming pool, generally decent family- friendly amenities and good food. Think we could stretch to four star accommodation, ideally (tho not expected) some kind of suite so there's some degree of space between child & parents when we're all settled at night.

Thanks in advance! X

OP's posts:
Please
or

Ricekrispie22 · 22/01/2019 05:20

The Family Life Bahia Feliz, Orquidea ticks all of your boxes.

Please
or

squareofthehypotepotenuse · 22/01/2019 12:00

Have a look at the Cordial Mogan Playa (Hotel) or Mogan Valle (apartments). Both a very short walk to Mogan beach and Marina - loads of restaurants, cafes, activities etc. Weather is the warmest on the island too. We have stayed in the Valle apartments and loved them - officially 3 star, big place with a lovely feel - good mix of Brits, Scandinavians and other Europeans. We self catered but it was very easy as supermarket across the road and lots of great places to eat nearby. Could also have dinner at hotel buffet if you choose. The Playa hotel next door looked wonderful (and I think the pool is supposed to be warmer), it’s more expensive for sure, probably a bit more upmarket but not massively noticeable (we ended up having a wander through it whilst trying to find our way out of the archaeological site next to it!). They have family rooms with 2 bedrooms, or junior suites with a lounge/sofa bed. The staff at the Valle were wonderful and Puerto Mogan is simply the most gorgeous place on the island.

Please
or

Winnie2019 · 22/01/2019 17:55

We stayed at the Lopesan Baobab which is one of the loveliest hotels we've stayed in. Lovely pools and lazy river.

Please
or

EllenRipley · 24/01/2019 12:32

Thank you so much for all this, really helpful! 👍

OP's posts:
Please
or

Nquartz · 24/01/2019 12:36

Are any of these pools heated? We're looking for October but none of the pools I've seen are heated & if it's too cold we won't want to swim (slightly defeats the object of a sun holiday!)

Please
or

squareofthehypotepotenuse · 25/01/2019 15:46

Nquqrtz The pool at the Mogan Valle was allegedly heated, but it felt pretty cold to me (this was at New Year). As I said above, i’ve read that the Mogan Playa pool is much warmer, but can’t personally advise, having not been. The Puerto de Mogan forum on trip advisor is very active - with lots of posters happy to give advice, worth asking there?
www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowForum-g664857-i12295-Puerto_de_Mogan_Mogan_Gran_Canaria_Canary_Islands.html

Please
or

DippyDuck123 · 25/01/2019 17:26

I'd suggest you avoid Playa Del Ingles. Thumbs up to Maspalomas (just outside PDI) and Puerto Rico.

Canaries are beautiful at this time of year, but the weather is not guaranteed. We have been to the canaries for the last 11 years and had 1 disappointing one but it was not awful, much better than home.

We are in Lanzarote this Feb for the half term, can't wait!

Please
or

WhoIsBU · 25/01/2019 17:35

I don't think peurto Rico is very nice. Amadores beach area is very nice though and Mogan is lovely.

Please
or

Mindgone · 11/02/2019 00:37

Another vote for Lopesan Baobab, we loved it.

Please
or

EllenRipley · 15/02/2019 19:10

Thanks @Mindgone!
We're now going during the Easter holidays so going to have a good look at that one...
Thanks again everyone x

OP's posts:
Please
or

Mindgone · 15/02/2019 23:09

Ooh lovely! Have fun and enjoy the sunshine! ☀️😎

Please
or

Missarad · 03/02/2020 12:45

Marina suites Puerto rico x

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?