Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Welcome to Mumsnet's holiday forum. Discuss all international travel here, including both shorthaul and longhaul trips. Related topics: UK holidays & day trips, skiing, camping & campervans.

Where did you stay in New York???

Pressie9 · 12/06/2017 23:04

Would like to book but to much choice. Any advice ??? Times Square or not. Some say too busy. HELP

OP's posts:
Please
or

Shellsandstones1 · 12/06/2017 23:08

Times Square is a bit shit. My favourite is the Omni on 5th

Please
or

Titsywoo · 12/06/2017 23:12

Depends which end of the city you want to be in! DH stays in NY a lot and recommends the Standard Highline for reasonable prices and great views. www.standardhotels.com/new-york/properties/high-line?utm_source=google&utm_campaign=google_my_business&utm_medium=organic

Please
or

2014newme · 13/06/2017 09:23

Manhattan! We stayed novotel times square had a terrace with a view was great location

Please
or

chipsandpeas · 14/06/2017 07:22

holiday inn times square, was on 8th ave at 42nd street, basic but done the job considering how much time was spent in the hotel room

Please
or

oigetoffmycheese · 14/06/2017 07:33

The Refinery on 39th. Great

Please
or

glitterglitters · 14/06/2017 07:44

We stayed in this hotel on 102nd & Broadway. It was very cheap and very cheerful. The reviews on TripAdvisor weren't great but we never found any issue with it. It was called the Marrekech Hotel and it cost (with direct flights) for a week £900 for two people.

www.marrakechhotelnyc.com

Please
or

teaping · 14/06/2017 07:47

We stayed in Maddison square park (the Edition hotel) which was an awesome location x

Please
or

JaneEyre70 · 14/06/2017 15:35

I absolutely hated Times Square, and would never book a hotel there. We stayed in the financial district, at The Conrad.... it's right next to the WTC site, you get river views and you can walk out the door and follow the Esplanade all the way down to Battery Park and the staton island ferries. There were lots of bars/restaurants close by, and it was blissfully quiet. Subway was a 4/5 minute walk and loads of bus stops too.

Please
or

mando12345 · 16/06/2017 09:11

We stayed at the beacon on upper West side, lovely area, central near the river, central Park, lots of good local restaurants.

Please
or

Missanneshirley · 16/06/2017 22:57

Another vote for the beacon - loved everything about it, great location

Please
or

NotCitrus · 16/06/2017 23:02

Up near 125th St - two express subway lines and near Columbia uni, green spaces and locals live there. Can be in Times Square in 15-20 min, lots of diners and restaurants.

Please
or

BubblesBuddy · 16/06/2017 23:04

Soho Grand, Soho. Great neighbourhood.

Please
or

Longdistance · 16/06/2017 23:04

I love NY.

We stayed in the Waldorf Astoria last year when we went.

The previous times we had short stay let apartments on 73rd West, but they've stopped short term lets in NYC.

Please
or

PUGaLUGS · 16/06/2017 23:05

We have stayed at the Waldorf on Park Avenue and also the Westin Grand Central.

Both great locations.

I wouldn't stay in Times Square. Far too noisy and busy.

Please
or

WinifredAtwellsOtherPiano · 16/06/2017 23:06

East of Central Park. Quiet but comfy. A bit of a journey to where we wanted to go each day, but only about 15 minutes walk to the bottom of Central Park, and less than half an hour on the subway to anywhere in Manhattan.

Please
or

Archedbrowse · 16/06/2017 23:06

We stayed at and would recommend the Beacon too, DH & I had a suite (our wedding) and other family members had rooms, both were nice.
Felt nice coming back to after a busy day& night out, calmer & more peaceful area (relatively).

Please
or

KimchiLaLa · 16/06/2017 23:08

I go there a lot. Do NOT stay in Times Square. Consider these for both decent stays and great location -

The Benjamin
Intercontinental Barclay
Hilton 6 Ave (lots of business conferences happen there which makes the lobby busy, but it's a good location)

Please
or

KimchiLaLa · 16/06/2017 23:09

Ah yes Waldorf also good, few yards from the Benjamin

Please
or

HundredMilesAnHour · 16/06/2017 23:12

It depends what you're looking for really. I really like Essex House (on Central Park South) as it's such a convenient location. But it isn't cheap (I stay here on business so the bill isn't my problem!)

Novotel Times Square is good if you get a room with a view over Times Square. It's surprisingly quiet there and a very handy location, but I find most of the staff really grumpy and the cocktails overpriced.

For downtown, I like the Ritz Carlton at Battery Park. Quiet, lovely views of the Statue of Liberty, great service and a good coffee shop close by. I travel to Staten Island a lot to visit friends so this is very convenient for the ferry/express bus.

Friends (who used to live in NYC) swear by the St Regis. They never stay anywhere else in NYC (or Singapore) but I prefer more contemporary styled hotels.

Please
or

Amiable · 16/06/2017 23:14

New York Manhattan hotel, 6 West 32nd Street, New York, NY 10001, in Koreatown (which is just one st!) right between broadway /Greeley square (J C Penney and Macy's) and 5th avenue, 1 block from Empire State.

Really great hotel, clean, friendly and you can get deals including free breakfast ( a rare thing in NY) Mum and I paid just over £700 + tax for a twin room for 7 nights back in November. Very slow lift though!

Please
or

Amiable · 16/06/2017 23:18

Another thing, even if you don't stay in the NYMA, it has a nice little roof bar, which has front row views of the Empire State Building, so worth a visit! It is rarely busy, and it's not actually part of the hotel, so you don't need to be staying there to get in.

Please
or

revolution909 · 16/06/2017 23:27

The Pierre! Great service and rooms. The bar is fantastic too!

Please
or

Loftyjen · 17/06/2017 00:05

Both times I've been to New York have stayed in The Library Hotel - really small boutique hotel halfway between Grand Central Station & New York Library - they do free breakfast plus cheese & wine in the evening Wink

Please
or

Oldowl · 17/06/2017 08:05

Another vote for NYMA. Great location and breakfast included. This saves a fortune in NY.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?