Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Learning disability nursing entry requirements

Mandraki · 12/08/2018 08:03

Thinking of applying to do LD nursing once my little one starts school. I did an access to nursing qualification a few years ago, and I’ve worked with people with learning disabilities my entire working life (10years+). I want to do LD nursing as I just love working with that area of the community, they are some of the most interesting and rich people I’ve met. I feel like that puts me in good stead for applying but is there anything else I could be doing while I wait to apply to get me prepared? I know for midwifery they want you to do voluntary work at children’s centres etc. There is an LD nurse at work so I’m going to speak to her but any advice is greatly appreciated.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Indigoed · 12/08/2018 19:15

Where are you? As the Welsh unis are still offering the bursaries but I believe you have to work in Wales for 2 years after. Not sure about Scotland but I know England are no longer offering bursaries.

Are you still working with people with learning disabilities? It sounds as if you have more than enough experience to get on the course and I doubt you would need to do anything extra. The only other thing would be is to keep up with current news around ld. There are quite a lot of changes going on at the moment, particularly with some areas no longer providing the course. But that doesn't mean ld nurses aren't needed, it's largely down to very few people applying or even knowing about it.

Open days would be helpful, talking to past and current students is also a good idea. Ld nurses usually like to help recruit new students because there's so few of us!

Happy to answer any questions you have.

Please
or

BryanAdamsLeftAnkle · 12/08/2018 15:46

Join student nurse journey on fb. There are some unis offering entry into LD nursing courses with a bursary. Someone posted about it today

Please
or

spikeyiscool · 12/08/2018 10:14

You will in all likelihood be welcomed with open arms into a LD nursing course, there is a huge shortage of LD nurses nationally. This is likely to mean that some universities will stop offering LD nursing, it's certainly happening already in London

It sounds to me as though you have a lot of experience already. Why not contact a couple of course leaders and ask for their advice? I believe that there will be an open university LD nursing course available from SEP 19 and also look out for possible financial support locally. There may be other routes available into LD nursing as well such as the apprenticeship by the time you are ready to start which basically means you work, earn and learn

Good luck!

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?