See more results



Mumsnet Logo
to access all these features

Question for anyone in the Psychology field

RunRabbit · 05/02/2014 20:26

The majority on my PhD thread suggested I do a Masters in Psychology first.

I'd like to eventually do a PhD but it doesn't necessarily have to do with starting a career in academia. It's a personal goal of mine to have one even if I don't do anything with it.

I'm also happy to go into the clinical side of Psychology.

All I know for definite is I want to work in child/developmental Psychology, whether that's in a research role or clinical.

My Questions are:

  1. There aren't many good Universities in London (I need to be located here for personal reasons) offering the subject area I would like to go into. Can I apply to more than 1 course at the same University?

  2. How would you rank these degrees in order of which would look best on my CV and be best for career progression.

    Developmental Neuroscience and Psychopathology MSc
    (2 year program, year 1 based here and year 2 at Yale University)

    Developmental Psychology and Clinical Practice MSc
    (2 years, 2nd year is a placement within a Child and Adolescent Mental Health clinic)

    Research Methods in Psychology MSc
    (1 year)
OP's posts:
to access all these features

UKsounding · 10/02/2014 21:01

Any clinical course is going to be very tough to get into without a lot of relevant experience. Research track will be easier. Most/all psychology departments will have a developmental psychology group(s) (although nomenclature may differ depending on their slant).

to access all these features

AllMimsyWereTheBorogroves · 06/02/2014 22:27

I haven't seen your Ph.D. thread but I happen to know something about Psychology MScs. You can apply to as many courses as you like but make sure that your application is specific to each course.

The first two you mention are at UCL, I think. Top notch university, the second year sounds vg and would make your cv stand out. However, it's an extremely expensive option unless you can get some funding.

Have you looked at the Institute of Psychiatry, King's College London? They have lots of MSc programmes, including one in Child and Adolescent Psychiatry. This includes a placement. I think you may need some relevant work experience.

to access all these features
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Sign up to continue reading

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?