Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Those who compost, please advise me

WellTidy · 05/06/2019 11:12

I started taking an interest in my garden a couple of years ago, and have really enjoyed the overhaul that has happened since. I realise though that I now need to nourish the plants that I have, and I think I need to compost. Always one to make things as easy as possible, as I don't have masses of time, I saw this RHS Chelsea product of the year composter and I wonder whether this is something anyone has any experience of? I don't have space for more than one compost heap, so do you think this composter would be the best option for me (I would be looking at the larger, 200 litre one)? It seems to create compost quickly and claims to be odour free. I have a real fear of vermin, so having something airtight is a real attraction for me.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Mutakirorikatum · 05/06/2019 12:01

They get good reviews in gardening groups, if you’re ok with the cost.

Please
or

WellTidy · 05/06/2019 12:05

Do you know any comparable product that is cheaper please Mutakirorikatum?

OP's posts:
Please
or

florentina1 · 05/06/2019 12:33

I think the cost for the ordinary garden seems very high. I have never had vermin in my compost.

I use the wooden slatted one because it is easy. Once every 4/5 months I pull out the bottom slats and dig out the compost and put it back on top. I use all uncooked vegetable waste, garden waste, some newspaper and cardboard. It is a good idea to wet the cardboard as you will find loads of worms are attracted to it.

It never smells. I don’t put any fruit peelings or fruit in there and definitely no cooked food.

Those who compost, please advise me
Please
or

florentina1 · 05/06/2019 12:37

I meant to say, when I dig it out I sieve it and use the good stuff. Anything not quite composted I put back on the top. I don’t use any accelerators. It does take a year to get the best compost because it does not get as hot as some. After the first year though, there is a constant supply.

Please
or

Mutakirorikatum · 05/06/2019 13:08

If you have space, the cheaper option is to get some old pallets and build a structure like the one in the pp, or ideally a set of three so that you can have several stages on the go at once.

But if you don’t have space or enough material to make proper hot compost in a bin, then I think the hotbin is probably a good solution, if you can afford it. I’ve been tempted to get one myself, but I have a three-bin old pallet setup, so I really can’t justify it.

You would definitely get better-quality compost and in a shorter time than using a dalek—type composter.

Please
or

WellTidy · 05/06/2019 14:25

Thank you both for your input. I can justify the Hotbin composter on the basis that it will be my birthday present (!) so I think I will go with that as it minimises effort and time involved. I agree though that it is pricey. Thanks for the advice florentina on wetting the cardboard. Do you use normal torn up cardboard or is it always corrugated?

OP's posts:
Please
or

florentina1 · 05/06/2019 16:14

Any cardboard that does not have the shiny side to it, like cereal boxes. Amazon boxes are good. Add stuff gradually and in layers, though in your super composter, that may not be so important.

Please
or

WellTidy · 05/06/2019 16:17

Thanks florentina. I will start saving the cardboard in readiness! I am quite excited. Do you use compost as a mulch and lay it round the existing plants on the top of the soil, or do you dig it into the soil please?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Mutakirorikatum · 05/06/2019 17:08

OP, have a look at Charles Dowding’s website and YouTube channel for how to use composted mulches with no digging.

You may wish to set aside a few days...Grin

Please
or

florentina1 · 06/06/2019 08:06

I mulch with it.

Please
or

WellTidy · 06/06/2019 14:31

Thank you

OP's posts:
Please
or

BobTheDuvet · 07/06/2019 18:39

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.