Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Expanding garden hose - anyone tried it?

15 replies

JeNeSuisPasVotreMiel · 24/04/2018 17:31

I'm looking to buy some new (or even second hand) hose for my new garden Smile

Xhose seems to be heavily promoted. Has anyone tried it or is it a swizz, will it retract and flatten my perennials?

OP's posts:
Please
or

namechange2222 · 09/05/2018 06:13

My third one has just broken. However I bought cheap ones from Amazon as needed 200ft ones and they cost around £10. Total rubbish after a couple of uses

Please
or

MaisyMary77 · 08/05/2018 22:28

Have had a few; brilliant to begin with then they develop leaks. Even a really expensive one only lasted a year.

Please
or

BrownTurkey · 08/05/2018 22:23

Yes, like others, the hose bit is fabulous, but the connector quickly leaks.

Please
or

WhoKnowsWhereTheW1neGoes · 08/05/2018 22:20

Well, I got my Lidl one out of the shed for it's first use this year and found the tap end leakier than ever and the trigger completely broken so I'm back to my traditional hose for the time being. It was good while it lasted.

Please
or

Toofle · 08/05/2018 22:06

Same as Ernie, we've gone through several of them and are getting fed up.

Please
or

BarbaraOcumbungles · 08/05/2018 21:27

I've just ordered two 125ft ones from amazon for £22. I have a very big garden and the outside taps are on mains pressure so I'm not sure how long it'll last but worth a shot at that price I think! I hate winding up the normal nose reel 😬

Please
or

SweetIcedTea · 08/05/2018 21:23

I let the tap run until mine's full then turn it off, otherwise it holds so much water I end up wasting water so I can put it away. I only have a fairly small area to water though. Other than that it's brilliant and lives in a small washing up bowl on a shelf in the shed when it's not in use.

Please
or

erniepigy · 08/05/2018 10:36

I've gone through about 10 of these. They are fabulous for a short while and always develop leaks. They are a lightweight stretchy silicon type inner hose surround by a fabric cover. You cannot leave them out in the elements and they need to be pulled fairly gently.
I also bought a similar one, more expensive but with a rubber outer casing and that has lasted longer but as with all of them, leak around the sprayer and fittings. All of them totally unsuitable for a pressure washer but if you are wanting something very small, light and easy to handle, I'd say go for the cheapest ones and be prepared to replace regularly.

Please
or

Wh0KnowsWhereTheT1meG0es · 25/04/2018 06:56

I got one in Aldi or Lidl last year for my allotment and love it. The only problem is that it has a pre-attached screw connector for the tap and it leaks a bit no matter how tightly you do it up.

Please
or

radi8tor · 25/04/2018 05:20

Love ours- it's the hozelock one.

Blush when you turn the tap on you do have to watch your hose get an erection - DH thinks it's hilarious

Please
or

SilkyDrawers · 25/04/2018 05:14

I love mine, coils up to nothing to store looped over the tap and stretches out to an astonishing length .

Only downside is mine is bright blue, will look for green next time. It’s lasting well though.

Please
or

changedtempforprivacy · 24/04/2018 22:19

Bought a hozelock one last year for my elderly mother, nice and light fir her...and no winding it up..
It was £50...just seen this week that aldi/lidl...not sure which are doing a 15 metre one for £15
I’ll be buying one for myself and avoiding my terribly hard work hozelock normal hose...

Please
or

JeNeSuisPasVotreMiel · 24/04/2018 20:45

I'm thinking it might be just the thing, as I have a slightly buggered shoulder and winding up a big heavy hose won't be fun.

What's the issues with punctures then? Do they happen easily? I can't quite work out what magical construction holds these expanding things together....

OP's posts:
Please
or

LondonJax · 24/04/2018 17:38

We've got one of these (or something very similar knowing DH...)

I love ours - it sits in a little heap on the patio until it's needed. Much better than the old one which needed arms like Mr Tickle just to wind the damn thing up at night.

Please
or

Luckystar1 · 24/04/2018 17:36

I haven’t looked at the one you mean, but if it’s the one that’s made of material and expands with water, then yes we had one and it was super!!! We loved it.

You do have to look after it though as if (when...!) they get a puncture they’re buggered.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?