Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Any ideas for eating healthily without an oven/hob?

namechangefailure · 27/06/2022 10:58

I moved out on my own for the first time a couple of months back and after all decorating and furniture costs I found I had ran out of money to buy an oven and the fitting costs are extortionate. I have a microwave and a George Forman grill, hoping to buy a small air fryer next month but in the meantime does anyone have any suggestions for recipes that don't involve a cooker? I am eating a lot of salads but I work long shifts and I have found I am eating a lot of microwave ready meals and would like to cut down on these, so what can I cook in a microwave or a George Forman that I might not have thought of?

OP's posts:
Please
or

sunnyside238 · 28/06/2022 04:52

You can cook any sort of meat on the foreman and then potatoes and vegetables in the microwave

Please
or

custardbear · 28/06/2022 04:45

....also a slow cooker and that cooks whilst you're out too so you'll have hot food when you come home.
I cook chickens, gammon, beef in mine, very moist and lovely as well as casserole type foods, chilli, bolognaise, Moroccan chicken / lamb dishes - they're a good investment and not that expensive

Please
or
Please
or

Furrybutts · 28/06/2022 04:30

Just to say that if you know someone with a Costco card, they have an air fryer in at the moment for £38+vat.
Best money I have spent in a long time.

Please
or
Please
or

MrsKippling · 27/06/2022 14:53

My oven broke about 18 months ago and I bought a double hotplate thing from Amazon for around £25, I then got an airfryer and have never gotten round to replacing it!

I do a sort of omelette in a mug in the microwave, jacket potatoes or those mini herby new potatoes from the supermarket. Any veg can be done in the microwave and I've also cooked rice and pasta in there. Kebab skewers, burgers, chicken breast, pork chop, sausages etc on the George Foreman. I love fajitas with the meat and veg cooked on the George foreman and have had success with Chinese style pork steaks cooked on there served with some instant noodles cooked in the microwave jazzed up with some spring onions and any odds and ends of veg.

I'd definitely advise getting a hotplate thing, they are really cheap and open up loads more options.

Please
or

Bunty55 · 27/06/2022 11:08

Get yourself an air fryer. much cheaper than using an oven and a healthy way of cooking.

Please
or

Icedlatteplease · 27/06/2022 11:06

Any kind of thin meat
Joint like a chicken or pork chop will go in the George foreman

Yy to cous cous with veg in
You can cook normal rice in the microwave.

Lots of frozen veg can be cooked in the microwave.

Please
or

BadAtMaths2 · 27/06/2022 11:02

salmon, roasted veg (asparagus, peppers, courgette, aubergine.) and micro rice or lentils.

Pannini in the George Forman.

Steak and have with salad.

Cooked lentils from a tin microwaved with veg and halloumi on the grill.

Please
or

doadeer · 27/06/2022 11:00

Cous cous is easy with a kettle only gives salads a bit more oomph.
Add a stock cube and some veg or nuts

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?