Independent Appeals Panel Member
UK - Remote
About Us: Transport Focus is the independent watchdog for transport users. We are an executive non-departmental public body, sponsored by the Department for Transport. we represent the interests of Britain’s rail passengers, bus and tram passengers in England (outside of London) and passengers on scheduled domestic coach services in England. We also represent users of England’s major roads - the ‘strategic road network’
We’re looking for around 14 individuals with some time to spare to form a new Independent Appeals Panel for penalty fares on National Rail services where they apply.
The government introduced a new independent third tier appeals process for rail penalty fares in 2018; an updated penalty fares regime came into force in January 2023. The Independent Appeals Panel, an essential part of this regime, now needs refreshing.
We are looking for suitable individuals to make up panels of three members who will look at third stage penalty fares appeal case and make decisions on them. You will need to act as independent arbitrators for those appeals which reach the third stage and consider the evidence of the previous 2 appeals. These decisions will need to be supported by evidence and in line with both regulations and the relevant operator’s penalty fares scheme. As an Appeals Panel Member, you will play a crucial role in reviewing and evaluating appeals, ensuring that decisions are made with impartiality, expertise, and a commitment to fairness. This is an opportunity to be part of a respected panel that shapes critical decisions impacting individuals. After appointment, your caseload would be managed by one of the two penalty fares service providers listed below.
- Review appeals with diligence and impartiality.
- Apply statutory and operator rules (full training is provided) in the particular circumstances of the case
- Collaborate with fellow panel members to reach consensus.
• You can commit to the equivalent of between 10-15 days per year , including days for initial training, in London, in March 2024
• You are wholly independent from any Train Operating Companies, or subsidiaries, contractors, related service providers and rail passenger groups
• You are able to work remotely with a secure internet connection
• Experience in dispute resolution, mediation, or arbitration is a plus.
• Excellent analytical and communication skills.
What We Offer:
- Flexible, part time and remote working to fit around existing roles and commitments.
- Competitive per case fee
- Training and personal development
How to Apply: Visit our Careers page at https://www.transportfocus.org.uk/about/careers/to learn more about the Appeals Panel Member positions and submit your application.
Spread the Word: Know someone who would be a perfect fit? Share this opportunity with your network! Together, let's build a diverse and knowledgeable Appeals Panel.
Application Deadline: 16th February 2024
The government introduced a new independent third tier appeals process for penalty fares by statutory instrument in 2018, for passengers who consider they have been issued incorrectly with a penalty fare, and whose appeals at the first and second stage were unsuccessful. The penalty fares regime was further amended and updated by statutory instrument in 2022. The new arrangements came into force in January 2023, and are helpfully summarised in the industry’s penalty fares guidelines.
If you need further information or help with your application, please contact [email protected]
ITAL-UK Ltd: www.appealservice.co.uk/
Penalty Services Ltd: www.penaltyservices.co.uk/app/choosecompany