Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Pilates or yoga?

Cr17 · 15/01/2022 17:09

Hi,
I was thinking of starting either pilates or yoga but not sure which one would be best?
I work in an office, sat at a desk all day, my posture is rubbish and sometimes my back starts to ache because of it.
Want to do one that will help ease the backache but to also generally make me feel more flexible, less tense!
Thanks

OP's posts:
Please
or

damekindness · 15/01/2022 18:27

Pilates has really helped my back and posture. Yoga can be a bit on the woo side plus I really struggle with balance when I do yoga

Please
or

EmmaStone · 15/01/2022 17:35

I'd give both a try, but suspect Pilates would be better for your posture. I never seem to really gel with Pilates, but I really enjoy yoga, and been doing it for many years now. I do Yoga with Adriene's (free) 30 days of yoga every January, and also do a live class weekly. I do think a live class is important if you've not sone either before, in order to get your form right - it can be very easy to get injured otherwise.

Please
or

SpacePotato · 15/01/2022 17:18

Pilates for me.
There is always yogalates that combines the two.

Please
or

Maflingo · 15/01/2022 17:17

Both are good, but if you are going to a group class then Pilates might be better.

Yoga has loads of poses that are good for posture but might not come up in group classes.

Please
or

AlwaysColdHands · 15/01/2022 17:16

Try both? If you’re wanting to feel less tense, then definitely yoga.

Please
or

Catastrophejane · 15/01/2022 17:15

I do both, but think Pilates is the best. I think it’s ideal for becoming aware of your posture. I feel much more aware about how I carry myself. It’s great for abs, which benefits the back.

Don’t get me wrong - yoga is also good for flexibility, but I always feel like I’ve had a better workout with Pilates.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?