Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Any barefoot runners?

barebetty · 28/12/2020 19:47

Hi all

I'm fascinated by the idea of barefoot running and minimalist footwear.

I run marathon distances comfortably (not fast) in Saucony. I get on really well with the wide toe box. I'm not currently injured (hoorah) but the idea of barefoot running is fascinating.

I have looked at FB groups, and read Born to Run but am scared about the transition as I'd need to cut mileage right back.

The reason for doing it would be to potentially run faster and remain injury free. Actually I don't think I'd EVER go totally barefoot.

In October I bought a pair of cheap trail minimalist trainers from Amazon for dog walking which are so comfy. I'm thinking of trying to run in them this week.

Would love to hear any other runner's experiences Smile

OP's posts:
Please
or

barebetty · 01/01/2021 12:51

I ran 10k in them yesterday. Felt really good. I'm going to do some strengthening work today.

I can't recommend that podcast enough. The message is definitely to go slow and decrease mileage.

OP's posts:
Please
or

familygermsareok · 01/01/2021 10:13

I was intrigued after reading Born to Run too and thinking of trying minimalist shoes. Had an in depth chat with running shop staff and their take on it was, yes, it can be great and if you are getting niggles it’s worth looking at, but you do need to reduce miles considerably at first and transition up slowly, and if you are currently running fine without problems is it worth doing that with the risk it might not suit you.
Basically if it ain’t broke don’t fix it.
Anyway, I’m still intrigued but decided to leave well alone in the end which was the right decision for me.
Good luck if you do change - I’d be interested to hear how you find it.

Please
or

Malin52 · 30/12/2020 19:42

Please
or

barebetty · 30/12/2020 18:32

The ones I have are whitin and are £36.99

OP's posts:
Please
or

Namechangedforthisoct2 · 30/12/2020 17:53

Can anyone recommend a good cheap barefoot trainer to get me started?

I did search on Amazon for the ones you suggested but couldn’t find anything.

Please
or

barebetty · 30/12/2020 16:58

Toad running sounds intriguing Grin

OP's posts:
Please
or

user1477249785 · 30/12/2020 16:25

Road not toad obviously...

Please
or

user1477249785 · 30/12/2020 16:24

I wear the merrells including for toad running. In fact I'm mainly an urban runner (live in London) and I find they are ideal. It's totally fixed my knee issues.

Please
or

barebetty · 30/12/2020 15:40

I'd love to run on the beach! But alas am nowhere near.

OP's posts:
Please
or

ragged · 30/12/2020 15:20

I find it intriguing so researched a lot, but could never envision it working for me. I grew up walking barefoot everywhere, btw, so might seem like an ideal person... but neah. Shoes are wonderful things.

Please
or

Malin52 · 30/12/2020 15:15

I can only run barefoot! I tried for years to run, only ending up with excruciating pain in my shins, knees and hips after 2 minutes. All wearing over engineered gait analysed trainers. Several pairs tried. All the same.
I moved near a beach and stated running on the hard sand barefoot and could easily smash out 5ks within weeks with no pain.
Moved to roads and bought a pair of Nike Free. Lovely barefoot feel. No cushioning. Can wear without socks and recently finished my first half marathon in them with no pain.
I trail run in Inov8 shoes too.
I'm 46 and overweight too!! Agree with others you need to build up and foot strike totally changes. Ankles may ache too as your foot needs to self correct compared to the trainer doing some of that for you.
I highly recommend a beach to start you off!!

Please
or

barebetty · 30/12/2020 14:46

@user1477249785 do you ever run on roads? If so what do you wear?

OP's posts:
Please
or

user1477249785 · 30/12/2020 14:43

I wear Merrell barefoot trail running shoes. I did have to adjust my stride but it's completely fixed my aching knees.

Please
or

barebetty · 30/12/2020 14:35

And yes you do need to run differently. But it makes good sense.

OP's posts:
Please
or

barebetty · 30/12/2020 14:35

I've just listened to the podcast recommended. It's excellent.

I think the general feeling is NOT to just jump straight in.

I got a pair of cheap minimalist trainers from Amazon back in October. I think they're called whitten? I've walked the dog in them twice a day - sockless. I really like them.

I took the plunge today and did a very steady 5k in them. Feel great but will see how I fare over the next 24 hours.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Namechangedforthisoct2 · 30/12/2020 12:33

Thanks for this thread as I’m wanting to make the transition and was looking up recommendations for barefoot shoes, but then don’t like the idea of learning to run differently.

Are there any shoes that are super light weight, you can go sockless and run in without having to run differently to normal trainers?
Or do I just jump out at my local woods and run barefoot?!!

Please
or

barebetty · 29/12/2020 16:50

Thanks everyone. That's awful about being mis-sold the vibrams. How long did you persevere? Were you in agony?

Meant to say I've bought the book 'older yet faster' and joined their Facebook group. Lots of instructions and exercises but I'm yet to try any of them.

I have THE FEAR!

OP's posts:
Please
or

Annoy · 29/12/2020 07:57

I’d like to do this too OP. I wear vivo barefoot shoes in all other parts of my life... I recently bought their walking boots and they’re lovely to walk in!

I wear neutral Inov8 running trainers and mainly run off-road . I do get slight niggles though if I run on road for too long

Please
or

Walkingtheplank · 28/12/2020 23:10

I ran in Vivo Barefoot shoes. Bought several pairs in the Soho store where the manager was too busy talking about his own feet to explain how to run in the shoes properly.

Those shoes broke my feet. I went from someone preparing for marathons to now unable to run, or do any weight bearing exercise e.g. tennis. In fact as I type this 7 years later I'm in pain because I've been doing my daily walk.

By all means do barefoot running but dont buy before being trained how to do it.

Please
or

fellrunner85 · 28/12/2020 22:55

I did it for a while; ran only in Vibram fivefingers after reading Born to Run and getting into the whole barefoot running idea.
It did make me run more on my forefoot, but it also slowed me down and wasn't really sustainable long-term (for me anyway). I'm now back to running in ordinary neutral shoes - usually Nike Pegasus.

Please
or

FinallyHere · 28/12/2020 22:27

Some useful information available on Katy Bowman's site. It does impact your whole body, in a good way

https://www.nutritiousmovement.com

Please
or

LeGrandBleu · 28/12/2020 22:15

Listen to this peterattiamd.com/irenedavis/ before doing it, because your strike needs to change as well and you need to get rid of your heel strike.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?