Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Food shortages due to stockpiling.

85 replies

QueenOfIce · 04/09/2019 16:02

I understand why people are stockpiling but at the same time it's a very 'me first' attitude.

Won't those stockpiling cause shortages before the Brexshit hits the fan?

The UK really is full of selfish gits only out for themselves.

OP posts:
Please
or

Dontgiveamonkeys1350 · 05/09/2019 06:35

I say this on every thread. I have been putting food aside. The ‘experts’ have said there will be shortages. Re read the word ‘experts ‘. I will able to feed my son. I can’t believe that anyone with children who has the money to do this isn’t doing it.

Not a chance will I leave it up to our awful politicians to sort things out.
So instead of listening to people on here telling me I’m selfish or an idiot I listened to the ‘experts’.

And yes you back peddled fairly quickly there OP.

Please
or

SnuggyBuggy · 05/09/2019 06:47

As people have said most of the food people stockpile is virtually identical to food bank shopping lists. Many of us do donate our stuff that is getting close to the use by date.

Please
or

megletthesecond · 05/09/2019 06:57

You don't understand food supply logisitics do you OP?

Please
or

Rufusthebewilderedreindeer · 05/09/2019 08:24

One assumes queen has never bought a ‘buy 6 bottles of wine and get 25% off) type deal from supermarkets

As it would be stockpiling...or indeed would never do it as some people can’t afford to do it

As has been explained many times there is a difference between stockpiling and panic buying

Don’t like stockpiling (and i bet you do depending on what you are piling) then don’t do it

Please
or

Rufusthebewilderedreindeer · 05/09/2019 08:26

Abject apologies queen

Just spotted that you were referring more to panic buying

I do not know whats wrong with me, 2nd time ive not checked updates...though i am up the earliest ive been since the start of the holidays!

Please
or

Greatnorthwoods · 05/09/2019 11:28

Preppers are some of the most selfish people. What about those on very low incomes who can't afford to slowly buy or panic buy? But as long as the preppers have their tins and toilet rolls they'll be ok and stuff everyone else.

Prepper here, I have for a long time Ben giving advice to people wanting to stock up for Brexit. The amount of abuse I received in return made me stop.

I firmly believe that failing to plan to planning to fail, unfortunately it’s a survival of the fittest world out there. It sounds like your solution is nobody should prep, we should all starve together?

Please
or

PreppingPrat · 05/09/2019 11:41

Message from MNHQ: This post has been withdrawn

Please
or

SingingBabooshkaBadly · 05/09/2019 12:35

Queen I don’t have time right now to read the whole thread so apologies if I am repeating other posts.

There is a difference between stockpiling and panic buying.

People who have been gradually stockpiling for months or longer by buying a little extra with each shop are in no way causing shortages. Our supply chain is working at the moment and supermarkets are totally able to adjust their orders to account for higher than usual sales of any product.

Should the worst happen, far from disadvantaging those who can’t afford to stockpile, the people who are have already built up a buffer of food ahead of Brexit won’t be in the shops buying what food is available at that time.

Panic buying, which is entirely different to stockpiling, is what will cause problems - when those who who haven’t put anything by thus far suddenly panic and strip the shelves.

Many people who are stockpiling are doing so to avoid being in the shops when panic buying sets in. Many who are stockpiling donate regularly to food banks. I’m not sure why you seem so convinced that they don’t.

There is nothing selfish or irresponsible about stockpiling. Preparing for emergencies (not just Brexit btw) by building up a buffer of food whilst it is in plentiful supply does no harm to anyone else and does not affect the supply of food.

Panic buying once we have shortages or at the last minute before leaving the EU is selfish and will cause problems.

I sincerely hope those who have consistently poo-pooed stockpiling and chosen not to build up a buffer even though they could afford to will be prepared to leave what’s available in the shops post Brexit for those who couldn’t afford to stockpile beforehand.

Please
or

TemporaryPermanent · 05/09/2019 15:40

I don't donate food to food banks via supermarkets because i refuse to make supermarkets, who distort local job markets and in some cases screw rural producers into the ground reducing prosperity further, more money out of their 'charity' boxes. I donate directly to the Trussell Trust with fury in my heart that i feel it's necessary to do this to feed children in the fucking sixth biggest economy in the world. I have also built up a stockpile and should there be genuine food shortages (as opposed to the supply bumps i think are more likely), im in touch with some locals and we've agreed a probably unnecessary basic plan to put on some communal meals. From our larders, gardens, allotments and, indeed our stockpiles. Youd be very welcome if needed, op.

Please
or

360eyes · 05/09/2019 21:16

I've not noticed this.

The ordering in supermarkets goes a bit awry during holidays/changing back to term time, hence you might see blank shelves.

I think to gradually get a stockpile isnt selfish. Doing nothing and expecting other people to sort you out is.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?