Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Food shortages due to stockpiling.

85 replies

QueenOfIce · 04/09/2019 16:02

I understand why people are stockpiling but at the same time it's a very 'me first' attitude.

Won't those stockpiling cause shortages before the Brexshit hits the fan?

The UK really is full of selfish gits only out for themselves.

OP posts:
Please
or

Socksontheradiator · 04/09/2019 18:28

For crying out loud talljelly have you not seen or read anything about No Deal that concerns you on the slightest??

Please
or

WaggingKnife · 04/09/2019 18:31

Panic buying will surely cause shortages quicker?

You don’t say!
Panic buying and stockpiling are not the same thing.

Please
or

WaggingKnife · 04/09/2019 18:33

Or else you’ve changed your story once you realised how wrong you are.

This.

Please
or

talljelly · 04/09/2019 18:38

socksontheradiator you mean in the media? The same media that influenced over 50% of voters to vote for Brexit? I think I can be forgiven for not believing half that rubbish, I know how international trading works and it's all about money!

Please
or

countrygirl99 · 04/09/2019 18:42

You could also say that early November, or whenever, the preppers will be reducing shortages by using up their stock piles and leaving possibly limited stock in the shops for others to buy.

Please
or

Socksontheradiator · 04/09/2019 18:43

But isn't it worth having a buffer, in that case?

Please
or

Spinnaret · 04/09/2019 18:43

Preppers are some of the most selfish people. What about those on very low incomes who can't afford to slowly buy or panic buy?

This quote clearly indicates that OP knows there is a difference between prepping (stockpiling) and panic buying. She has changed her tune as soon as she has been called on it. I say goady fucker.

Please
or

Socksontheradiator · 04/09/2019 18:44

^^for talljelly

Please
or

noblegiraffe · 04/09/2019 18:49

It’s not going to be just panic buying causing food shortages though, but the lorries stuck at Dover.

There will be shortages of prescription medicine too and you can’t panic buy those.

Please
or

QueenOfIce · 04/09/2019 19:00

It really doesn't take some people long to start calling names does it? If we were all in a room would you be so rude to my face or does the anonymity of your keyboard make you feel brave.

I am entitled to share an opinion it might not be yours and that is absolutely fine, calling me names like a goady fucker and making me out to be some low life unintelligent Brexiteer isn't on.

It actually says far more about you than me.

OP posts:
Please
or

kaytee87 · 04/09/2019 19:02

Your op called people 'selfish gits' 😂

Please
or

bellinisurge · 04/09/2019 19:08

Selfish gits really set the tone, op.

Please
or

WaggingKnife · 04/09/2019 19:08

You came wading in with your size 10 feet calling people selfish gits and we set you straight without fussing around. There have been dozens of threads about stockpiling, where it has been explained why it is different to panic buying and yet you spout off that preppers are selfish despite not having a single, solitary clue what you’re talking about.

Please
or

flouncyfanny · 04/09/2019 19:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Please
or

flouncyfanny · 04/09/2019 19:15

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Please
or

MaggietheHorseThief · 04/09/2019 19:39

Stockpiling now, while supermarkets are still in a position to replenish shelves, will help prevent food shortages when, after Brexit, access to produce is limited. Those of us who have stockpiled will not be panic buying food when it is scarce and thus contributing to shortages.

Please
or

MaggietheHorseThief · 04/09/2019 19:41

I agree with your suggestion that those who can afford to should be contributing to food banks. People on low incomes are the least able to prep, and will likely be the hardest hit by Brexit.

Please
or

MaggietheHorseThief · 04/09/2019 19:42

She has changed her tune as soon as she has been called on it. I say goady fucker

(I also think this!)

Please
or

Nottrueatall · 04/09/2019 20:23

I've always stockpiled, or bought in bulk, for want of a better word. It's just how I approach buying stuff.

My health is very up and down, so I tend to buy lots when I can, so that I don't have to go out every week.

For example, my health is poor atm, and I can't get out and about (& don't know when I'll be up to shopping properly again), so I've just spent £550 stocking up my cupboards.

Most of those items will mean that I don't have to buy them again until next year at the very earliest (eg, fabric conditioner, flour, dried egg, tinned goods, dried goods, pasta, etc).

On the other hand, this is the first proper shop I've done since early July (other than milk, eggs, fresh fruit and fresh veg).

All I'll still need to buy on a regular basis are the basics, such as milk, fresh fruit and veg.

However, should push come to shove, and I'm still housebound, or people are panic buying, I can survive quite well on what I've already got here as I'd make do with tinned fruit and veg and dried milk/egg, etc, so I wouldn't be adding to the people panic buying.

I've always shopped like this as I like to have a buffer of at least a few months; I realise that I'm incredibly lucky to be able to afford to do this, but rather than spend £80-£100/week on groceries, I'll maybe spend £10-25 per week, and then spend the rest of the budget in one large shop once every few months (if needed). This is for 4 people (all adult sized portions) plus pets.

Please
or

slipperywhensparticus · 04/09/2019 20:24

If you called me a selfish git to my face I would be more than happy to tell you to fuck off to your face

I'm on medication that I could die rather painfully if I dont receive yes the nhs could possibly help me but I would need more different medication after the expensive surgery plus I have dietary needs that we dont make here my food is fucking expensive and not provided by a food bank yes I'm stockpiling dam right I am i need to eat and live 0121 goady one

Please
or

Nottrueatall · 04/09/2019 20:33

Also, that way if something happens that I haven't foreseen, I can get by without going to the shops for at least several weeks.

Please
or

MrsTerryPratchett · 04/09/2019 20:36

In places where the government routinely asks people to prep for disaster, it is couched in terms of altruism. Essentially look after yourselves if you're able so we can look after the old, sick, injured

Please
or

SansaSnark · 04/09/2019 21:48

I've detailed on other threads all the reasons I think there will be food shortages and disruption post brexit but to summarise:

-In this country we only produce about 50% of our own food. The rest has to be imported, mostly by lorry/ship.

-If we no deal, there will be new customs arrangements that will cause a delay at ports. Even a small delay per lorry will cause a log jam and disrupt the supply chain.

-The government has said it will prioritise medicines and water purification chemicals over food. Lots of the food we usually import will not arrive where it should immediately post a no deal brexit.

-A lot of the food we import from outside of the EU comes via EU ports such as Rotterdam so will be affected. Even food arriving directly in this country will be delayed if there are issues at ports.

-Farmers will be heavily impacted by no deal brexit. We could end up producing less of our own food in this country. They also cannot step up production in the space of two months.

If people who have the ability to prepare now, by purchasing a bit of extra food, the supply chain will cope. There may be one off shortages of individual items if someone locally goes completely mad, but there will be (and is) food on the shelves for everyone.

If people who can afford to have prepared sensibly, there will be more food left on the shelves for people who for whatever reason haven't prepared- i.e. they're doing you a favour.

(If anyone is worried, there is still time to get at least some stock in if you can afford to!)

Please
or

MerryChristmasHarry · 04/09/2019 21:55

You moved those goalposts pretty fast OP.

Please
or

berlinbabylon · 04/09/2019 21:59

I have also noticed that Sainsburys, Tesco and Morrisons are running out of food

Really? Well if so, it's nothing new. I used to regularly swap supermarkets between Tesco and Sainsburys because they'd each constantly run out of stuff that the other one stocked. And they always run out when they do offers. I don't think it's Brexit-related. Yet.

By the way, my local Superdrug has plenty of paracetomol and iboprofen so may be worth a look if you can't find it in other chains.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?