Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Food shortages due to stockpiling.

85 replies

QueenOfIce · 04/09/2019 16:02

I understand why people are stockpiling but at the same time it's a very 'me first' attitude.

Won't those stockpiling cause shortages before the Brexshit hits the fan?

The UK really is full of selfish gits only out for themselves.

OP posts:
Please
or

QueenOfIce · 04/09/2019 16:35

@Redwinestillfine it's the helping people out that's not happening. There's a very 'me first' attitude about the UK at the moment.

OP posts:
Please
or

DonPablo · 04/09/2019 16:36

Ah, fair enough op, I thought I was missing a trick! Smile

I stockpiled for the last brexit deadline. I gave the entire lot to the food bank when it didn't happen. My stockpile is building again, nothing major, but I definitely do not want to queue up for stuff if that's what's going to happen. If the stockpile isn't needed again, it'll go straight to the food bank, again.

Please
or

smilethoyourheartisbreaking · 04/09/2019 16:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Please
or

MaudBaileysGreenTurban · 04/09/2019 16:38

OP, some of us work for local food banks and have standing orders set up with national ones.

Regardless, the best way to help people out would be to not inflict this monumental shitshow on them in the first place.

Please
or

QueenOfIce · 04/09/2019 16:39

Christ I've inadvertently made all preppers selfish bastards! I meant the panic buyers. Ffs..proof read Queen. Blush

OP posts:
Please
or

TheLightSideOfTheMoon · 04/09/2019 16:40

I'm a selfish prepper.

The fewer people you have grappling for food in a crisis the better.

And I'm on a low income. Sometimes you have to make it work and plan ahead.

Please
or

pumkinspicetime · 04/09/2019 16:40

It all depends when this buying happens OP.
If people are doing it now then as we are still part of the EU with fully functioning JIT supply lines it doesn't have much impact (other than to help the economy not go into recession)
But if panic buying happens after we have crashed out it will increase the chances of people who need food not being able to access it.
If I was in the UK I would be building a full larder to future proof against what is a large unknown.

Please
or

ListeningQuietly · 04/09/2019 16:42

Still cannot see what buying extra tomatoes has to do with Tory Austerity causing the need for food banks
and Tory insanity creating the Brexit debacle .....

If those who can stock up do stock up, it makes more food available on critical dates for those who cannot stock up.

Please
or

Simkin · 04/09/2019 16:42

Buying while the supply chain is in place won't cause shortages because the stuff people buy will be replaced. Doing it the day before might I suppose. It's fewer people to panic buy and escalate the problem if/when the time comes.

Everybody's selfish, of course. I think we're about to find out exactly how selfish. Blitz spirit is a myth, my Gran told me that.

Please
or

Pinkbonbon · 04/09/2019 16:44

Let's face it, the panic buying pretty much only means there won't be bread or milk for a week. That'll be the extent if it. Maybe loo roll too.

I'm gonna grab a couple of long life milks, freeze a loaf the week before and buy an extra loo roll pack every second shop from now till then and that's me sorted. Ppl that run in the day before and panic buy are utter tits

Please
or

gamerchick · 04/09/2019 16:44

Stockpiling isn't the same as panic buying. People who have stockpiled know the problems panic buying does and will do.

I don't want to be in a supermarket with people who would ring the police when kfc runs out of chicken.

Please
or

slipperywhensparticus · 04/09/2019 16:45

Why would I donate to food banks boris said it's going to be fine unemployment is down we are all going to wake up to a whole new world of opportunities and possibly November 1st......

Please
or

AutumnCrow · 04/09/2019 16:45

Ah, ok, OP. I get where you're coming from now.

Yes it's bloody scary isn't it? And yes women in low incomes with children are going to be hardest hit, as per usual.

Yes I donate to food banks regularly, because of this ^^

Please
or

Symptomless · 04/09/2019 17:08

Roughly third of the population doesn't think there will be any shortages, another third don't care either way and the rest will attempt to prep for any eventuality. It's only an issue if there will actually be shortages. But why would there be, with our capable new PM on the helm...

Please
or

kaytee87 · 04/09/2019 17:18

Stockpilers / preppers are the opposite of panic buyers op!
The selfish people will be the ones who haven't prepared (if able to) and go in the day before clearing shelves.

Please
or

Gingerninja4 · 04/09/2019 17:19

Is because I am on a low income that I keep cupboards full in case of illness/bad winter /universal credit and the shit show that is Brexit,the last 2 both being due to fault of the conservatives and have been trying to buy extra slowly. As if is food shortages s and prices go up I will struggle even more and without that I end up needing fòod bank based on conservatives own paperwork for Brexit
Yes I put odd thing in food bank when can but I also give my time once a month and am all to aware that I could easily be in position of needing

Please
or

Snowy111 · 04/09/2019 17:34

Agree with PPs - you are confusing stockpiling with panic buying.

People have been stockpiling since last year with no adverse effects. Those clever people mitigate any adverse effects because they won’t need to panic buy if imports are limited.

Stockpiling is much better than panic buying.

People shouldn’t need to panic anyway cos Michael Gove assures us there will definitely be no shortages Hmm

Please
or

Snowy111 · 04/09/2019 17:36

Ah I’ve now RTFT - sorry queen you are not confused after all Grin

Please
or

Snowy111 · 04/09/2019 17:37

Ginger I also have an obsession with full (overflowing Blush) cupboards - I think it started when I divorced and became an LP

Please
or

Socksontheradiator · 04/09/2019 18:11

Queen, I've read the full thread and it seems that you have learnt the difference between stockpiling and panic buying this afternoon.
Makes it a very useful thread for any lurkers out there, so thank you Flowers
Fwiw, we are not broke but neither are we wealthy. Lucky enough to have 'enough' in this house, but we are middle aged and have had difficult times and would have used food bank had it been available 25 years ago.
As a result, I fear being without food and always keep a stock in. We also support the foodbank with every supermarket shop we do.
So, for the benefit of anyone who still thinks stockpiling is selfish, my full freezer and larder have had zero impact on whether food will be available if and when suppliers are disrupted.
The only impact we'll have is in not being in the supermarkets if or when there are shortages, thus leaving that much extra for anyone who has been unable or unwilling to get a buffer in.

Meanwhile, my insulin dependent brother thinks it's all a load of scaremongering, it'll be fine and 'they' won't let anything run short.
Guess who'll be first in line for my carefully stashed tins of beans....

Please
or

Socksontheradiator · 04/09/2019 18:16

And op, I agree that last minute panic buying will add to shortages. Very selfish not to stock up well ahead.
But, if it finally dawns on people that they don't have what they need to feed their families you can't really blame them if they panic.

Please
or

GrimalkinsCrone · 04/09/2019 18:17

The selfish ones are those that never plan ahead for anything and then wail and flail until rescued. Not just planning and prepping, but how they live their lives in general.

Please
or

TheCatsACunt · 04/09/2019 18:22

Christ I've inadvertently made all preppers selfish bastards!

Or else you’ve changed your story once you realised how wrong you are.

Please
or

talljelly · 04/09/2019 18:25

I'm sorry I generally try to avoid the Brexit debate, but why are people stockpiling? Are we now expecting there to be a nuclear war when Brexit happens?

Please
or

WaggingKnife · 04/09/2019 18:26

Preppers are some of the most selfish people. What about those on very low incomes who can't afford to slowly buy or panic buy? But as long as the preppers have their tins and toilet rolls they'll be ok and stuff everyone else. Totally I'm alright Jack.

You have to be one of the more stupid people to come on to this or the Prepper sub forum and start spouting off.

Do you understand the difference between stockpiling and panic buying?
Do you understand the ‘just in time’ system?
You do realise that a great deal of people making provisions for their families have been doing so by adding one extra thing to their shopping per week since 2016? Or that many people prep to make sure they are protected not just for Brexit but redundancy, ill health, bad weather, disasters and all manner of reasons.

Not to mention that a people slowly preparing means they are taken out of the busy scrums of people arguing over small amounts of food should panic buying kick in. I have prepped slowly and surely for ill health and bad weather for a long time - I always like to have 2 weeks of food in. Now I add 2-3 extra items to my trolly per week, how on earth is that taking food away from anyone when the supermarket can simply restock it within a day as part of just in time?

And FWW most people who are prepper minded seem to be community spirited and have a long history of volunteering or donating to food banks.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

We're all short on time

Log in or sign up to use the 'See Next' or 'See all' posts by the OP (Original Poster) and cut straight to the action.

Already signed up?

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?