Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Food waste caddy

Sleepinginthebathroom · 20/05/2019 08:58

Looking for one that doesn't make my kitchen stink. It will sit out on the side. The one I have at the moment is in a cupboard but the cupboard smells, and if I leave it ajar so does the kitchen.
I empty it every 24-48 hours.

Any recommendations?

OP's posts:
Please
or

hmb255 · 20/05/2019 09:00

We have the Joseph Joseph one with the filter. Never had any smells from it apart from when we put garlic bread in it.

Please
or

Babdoc · 20/05/2019 09:02

Are you using biodegradable liner bags, or just putting the waste directly into the caddy? If the latter, the plastic tends to absorb the smell and it lingers even after emptying. It needs a good scrub out with detergent each time - I use an apple or lemon scented one which keeps it fragrant, despite me putting uneaten wet meaty cat food in it twice a day! Also make sure you have one with a very tight fitting lid.

Please
or

CitadelsofScience · 20/05/2019 09:05

Ours is from the local council, it has vents in that you can close and sponge that can be replaced to absorb odours, we also use compostable liners.

Please
or

Narya · 20/05/2019 09:06

We've got this
www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003ZFW0YQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_Z9L4CbD7K77ZY?tag=mumsnetforu03-21
No smells as long as you don't overfill it and stop the lid closing property. Goes in the dishwasher as well.

Please
or

Cloudtree · 20/05/2019 09:09

Do you have to keep it in the house? Ours is outside the back door (although we have chickens and so they are our primary food waste caddies)

Please
or

Xiaoxiong · 20/05/2019 09:16

We have the one from the council that has a handle that when you hinge it up keeps the lid tightly closed, plus the compostable caddy liners from Lidl which are the best quality ones around IMO. Put a tablespoon of baking soda in the bottom of the caddy before putting in the liner to absorb smells, empty it every couple of days, wash with boiling water and fairy liquid, doesn't smell unless we leave it more than 3 days and the stuff at the bottom starts macerating.

Please
or

Sleepinginthebathroom · 20/05/2019 09:40

Thanks
Will do a bit of research

It needs to be in the kitchen as anything we leave out will attract a fox or a cat in 0.3 seconds

We do use bio bags but I'll check out the ones mentioned

I think the lid just isn't tight enough on ours since dp gave it a good bash recently. Now you mention it that's when the smells certainly got worse

Do I really want a vent though? Does that not just let all the smells out?

OP's posts:
Please
or

CitadelsofScience · 20/05/2019 10:48

Yes the vent along with the sponge thing to absorb odours help. No vent means it's just a rotting pile in the bin. Ours is vented, we pay for the odour absorbing things with our council issued caddy. It's kept under the sink in the cupboard and there is no smell in there at all.

Please
or

thislido · 13/06/2019 00:44

Bit late to this but in case it's useful for anyone else, I just use a very large Lock and Lock container (with bags) which means you can pretty much choose a size and shape to suit your space. No smell escapes.

Please
or

Weathergirl1 · 13/06/2019 08:29

OXO good grips one here. I don't use liners and don't get smells. Just make sure it's washed out each time (and occasionally use a bleach solution if it's particularly pongy).

Please
or

Cynderella · 23/06/2019 13:52

We use Alina paper liners which rot down with the compost. In the winter, I start the bags off by emptying the tumble dryer link trap into it, so that it absorbs some of the water from the coffee dregs, tea leaves etc. In the kitchen, we have a caddy that has a handle that locks the lid. Something like this one: www.amazon.co.uk/10-Litre-Kitchen-Waste-Caddy/dp/B0041OEU20/ref=sr_1_159?s=gateway&keywords=compost+caddy&tag=mumsnetforu03-21&qid=1561294291&sr=8-159

Had it for years without any problems.

Please
or

WidoWanky · 24/06/2019 21:27

Our council dont collect cooked food waste. But for a long time(20+years back) i had a wormery in the garden. a clip lock bucket with a tap at the bottom to collect 'worm pee'. An excellect garden fertilizer­čść i am looking for a new one now.

Orange peel and onion skins weren't very good to go in there though. but thats composter territory really. ­čśŐ

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.