Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Ketoavidosis can I treat at home

28 replies

Metabigot · 18/09/2022 16:43

I've been a fool and not taken enough food or insulin this we. I've whacked in a mega dose of insulin and drinking sugary drinks which luckily I can hold down as I was vomiting earlier

Unsteady balance blurred vision panting breath

Can I try to get it sorted at hole or us thos a hospital jobby

Medium ketone on wee straps, the medium purple not dark or very dark

Diabets center message only ar weekend

OP posts:
Please
or

Metabigot · 19/09/2022 21:00

TickTockBaby · 19/09/2022 20:33

So pleased to hear you're doing well OP.
Going forward maybe take some time to reflect- what causative factors can you identify in hindsight?
Go back to basics- how is your injection technique?
Any issues with sites?
Are you effectively carb counting?
Is your insulin timing and concordance correct?

Brush up on the sick day rules, get a blood ketone meter (you should be able to get this from the DSN team in your area) get a face to face appointment with your DSN too.

🌸🌸🌸

Causative factor is very clear, I forgot my insulin on a weekend trip. I'd try to get an emergency prescription sent next time but there doesn't seem any emergency service for diabetics in Manchester unless you phone 111.

Thank you for your advice though
Appreciated

OP posts:
Please
or

Metabigot · 19/09/2022 21:01

*emergency service at the weekend that is.

OP posts:
Please
or

NighghtmareNeighbour · 20/09/2022 09:31

You need to get a blood ketone meter going forward. It gives a much clearer and accurate idea of what your ketone levels are at that moment in time, and how effectively your dose corrections are working.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

We're all short on time

Log in or sign up to use the 'See Next' or 'See all' posts by the OP (Original Poster) and cut straight to the action.

Already signed up?

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?