Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Diabetes with cealiacs - can anyone help?

triballeader · 25/08/2022 17:33

DH has recenetly been diagnosed type2. Then has just found out about the cealiacs that has been burbling away and making him horribly ill for years. he thougt it was just IBS. He also has an egg [as in anaphylaxis and hospital] and nut allergy.

I am currently pulling my hair out trying to find gluten, nut and egg free recipes. No-one appears to make anything so I am back cooking everything from absolute scratch. This is worse than my sons severe allergy diet as he can eat gluten. DH has repeatedly asked for a referral to a dietician but not currently possible unless he lands in A&E and needs to be admitted for anaphylaxis. I am tempted to go on cooking strike but I know takeaways are not an option.

Has anyone had to deal with diabtties and cealiacs? If so have you spotted either a book that caters for both or can share a URL of a sane source of recipes online that I could try?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Cantgetbackagain · 25/08/2022 20:33

Diabetes U.K. has a GF recipe section, hopefully it will be obvious which ones don’t have egg & nuts in so you don’t have to spend too long filtering those out.
www.diabetes.org.uk/guide-to-diabetes/recipes/recipe-search-results?special_diets%5B0%5D=46

Becky Excell does loads of GF recipes (although quite a bit baking and too sugar heavy for a diabetic but she does mains also) and often has swaps listed for eggs & omits nuts. If you follow her on Instagram she also posts recipes and she has an ‘accidentally gluten free’ info bit and lists things by store eg Morrisons here but type accidentally gluten free & the name of the supermarket you shop in for a list you can use.
glutenfreecuppatea.co.uk/2020/09/09/accidentally-gluten-free-products-in-morrisons/
main site.
glutenfreecuppatea.co.uk/

www.sugarfreemom.com/recipes/sugar-free-low-carb-chocolate-crazy-cake-egg-free-dairy-free-nut-free-gluten-free/

If you look for vegan gluten free recipes, that will save you worrying about eggs & you could just add meat?
www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/collection/vegan-gluten-free-recipes

Amys Kitchen offer allergy friendly ready meals if you are desperate for a night off cooking, although maybe he should cook a bit too!, some are GF & they have nut/egg free ones but you would have to check which ones. The website isn’t flowing as well as it should atm
www.amyskitchen.co.uk/faqs/i-have-several-food-allergies-is-there-a-possibility-of-cross-contact-in-your-facility

Please
or

Cantgetbackagain · 25/08/2022 20:39

Allergy free cookbook
The Allergy-Free Family Cookbook: 100 delicious recipes free from dairy, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, soya, gluten, sesame and shellfish
www.amazon.co.uk/Allergy-Free-Family-Cookbook-delicious-shellfish-ebook/dp/B00V3KK0G0

Please
or

choosername1234 · 25/08/2022 20:50

There is a link between T1DM, coeliac disease and thyroid disease. I know you said he has T2DM but do look at symptoms of thyroid disease too
My mum has all 3 and it does take some adjusting and in some ways T1 is easier than T2 but it is very do-able
Good luck

Please
or

triballeader · 25/08/2022 20:54

Thank you so very much.
I was coping right up until the 'no gluten' was added on top of everything else. DS has to avoid nuts, eggs, legummes, shellfish and milk. Now I know why and where he migt have inherited his serious allergies.

Definatly in need of some hopeful inspiration to get me back into the kitchen to try again.

OP's posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?