Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Cost of living

Is an Electric Gilet Worth Investing?

37 replies

Nachtvlinder · 24/08/2022 23:14

They say it's meant to be really effective at keeping you warm and according to MoneySavingExpert, it was only 4p a day to run. Is that true?

Last winter, I was so layered up with clothes - fleece dressing gown over normal clothes underneath like thermal top and another layer, wool hat, wool scarf and wool fingerless gloves, thick socks and yet I was still cold particularly the fingers and feet. I used to suffer with chilblains when I was younger in terrible housing at the time, now I don't. I was/am WFH and it was sometimes hard to carry on working.

Do you think buying a gilet will be worth it, if yes, which one you do recommend? I'm also wondering if I buy now in advance, maybe they might be on offer as sometimes out of season items usually are.

OP posts:
Please
or

Metabigot · 25/08/2022 06:12

Not sure about a gilet but I've ordered a lskelsnd electric poncho. I too suffer terribly with cold even layered up.

Wondering now about a gilet instead, where did you see it?

Please
or

Metabigot · 25/08/2022 06:12

*lakeland

Please
or

Metabigot · 25/08/2022 06:28

Regatta do the gilet. May be easier as you can move about. £77 with code, reduced from £125. You have to buy the battery pack separately but they are around £20 (normal phone power bank so you may already have a spare). It essentially just heats off a power bank that's attached so cost will be whatever charging that would be each day

Please
or

Lelivre · 25/08/2022 07:54

I am looking at these. On Amazon the reviews are very mixed and prices vary massively.

Please
or

KleineDracheKokosnuss · 25/08/2022 07:55

Yes. My dad got one for £40 off Amazon and says it’s really effective.

Please
or

DonnaBanana · 25/08/2022 17:41

Yes. I bought a cheap one off Amazon last winter to wear while sitting around on campsites and I was toasty while everyone else was freezing their... you know whats off! Charging the USB battery pack didn't take long and lasted about 3-4 hours of heat.

Please
or

Liebig · 25/08/2022 23:11

Get a blanket and a hot water bottle. Far cheaper and more effective.

Please
or

CallMeBubbleDarling · 25/08/2022 23:14

I got one from Wowcher for £12.99. Does the job

Please
or

MrsLeBouef · 25/08/2022 23:15

Buy an electric over blanket - they are wonderful.

Please
or

Endlesslypatient82 · 28/08/2022 20:17

Did you go for one OP?

Please
or

Nachtvlinder · 28/08/2022 20:36

@Endlesslypatient82 I haven't yet. If there are conflicting reviews on investing in an expensive item, I'd rather sit out on this one. I wonder if heat pads are good/cheap to use?

OP posts:
Please
or

Endlesslypatient82 · 29/08/2022 07:00

Heat pads are just ok, not great.

heated blankets are brilliant

bit very keen to get something that I can move around in. Happy to splurge but want to make sure it is a wise investment!

Please
or

Metabigot · 29/08/2022 21:08

Endlesslypatient82 · 29/08/2022 07:00

Heat pads are just ok, not great.

heated blankets are brilliant

bit very keen to get something that I can move around in. Happy to splurge but want to make sure it is a wise investment!

I've gone for a proper high tech outdoor wear gilet, there are a few in the market such as North Face thermoball etc but not many nice colours in the thermoballs so I went for a Rab Cirrus gilet, if its anything like thermoball it will be cosy but light weight and designed to trap warmth optimally.

They are quite pricey but now is the time to but as still Sumner stock so on sale. Paid £87 down from £130.

That with a heatgen underlayer I reckon I'll cope inside the house when heating is off.

I'd say go for that over electric gilet if can afford.

Please
or

Nachtvlinder · 29/08/2022 21:45

I didn't think I'd be given a I've got the down jacket from Uniqlo after the raving reviews on here, thinking it would serve me well in the colder temps. but it was very light and not much warmth from it all (£60). I have a few cashmere jumpers that I wear but it's my extremities that are affected mainly - fingers and feet. I did use a my electric blanket wrapped around my legs, but it wasn't that practical when sat on a chair all day working. I will rethink whether I'd get another outdoor jacket, thanks, @Metabigot

OP posts:
Please
or

Endlesslypatient82 · 29/08/2022 21:50

Metabigot · 29/08/2022 21:08

I've gone for a proper high tech outdoor wear gilet, there are a few in the market such as North Face thermoball etc but not many nice colours in the thermoballs so I went for a Rab Cirrus gilet, if its anything like thermoball it will be cosy but light weight and designed to trap warmth optimally.

They are quite pricey but now is the time to but as still Sumner stock so on sale. Paid £87 down from £130.

That with a heatgen underlayer I reckon I'll cope inside the house when heating is off.

I'd say go for that over electric gilet if can afford.

Please
or

BEAM123 · 29/08/2022 22:14

I got one off eBay a few years ago, I think it was maybe £15.
Works from a phone battery pack. It gets pretty toasty!
Just check the fit and size up as they tend to be made in China so are cut for smaller body builds eg I'm a UK 14 and got a 2XL and it's still a bit tight on the hips.

It's not very fashionable looking as a top layer but it's great for in the house or under a coat outside.

Please
or

Metabigot · 29/08/2022 22:14

Nearly.

Seem to have lost the ability to post link but the shop's called Trekkit and its the Rab ladies cirrus vest in Bering Sea.

Please
or

Endlesslypatient82 · 30/08/2022 07:06

Metabigot · 29/08/2022 22:14

Nearly.

Seem to have lost the ability to post link but the shop's called Trekkit and its the Rab ladies cirrus vest in Bering Sea.

You star! Thanks.

do you know if true to size? Im 8/10. Would you go smaller or bigger?

Please
or

Metabigot · 30/08/2022 07:18

Endlesslypatient82 · 30/08/2022 07:06

You star! Thanks.

do you know if true to size? Im 8/10. Would you go smaller or bigger?

Depends if you want a snug fit or room for layers under, I've put on weight recently so have sized up although the sad truth is I've, 'bodied up' by overeating and drinking so probably its true to size if not I'll just return and repurchase a different size.

Please
or

Endlesslypatient82 · 30/08/2022 08:36

www.e-outdoor.co.uk/p/rab_womens_cirrus_flex_2_vest/

i went with this one. Can’t see any difference but cheaper?

Please
or

feministqueen · 30/08/2022 08:41

Nachtvlinder · 29/08/2022 21:45

I didn't think I'd be given a I've got the down jacket from Uniqlo after the raving reviews on here, thinking it would serve me well in the colder temps. but it was very light and not much warmth from it all (£60). I have a few cashmere jumpers that I wear but it's my extremities that are affected mainly - fingers and feet. I did use a my electric blanket wrapped around my legs, but it wasn't that practical when sat on a chair all day working. I will rethink whether I'd get another outdoor jacket, thanks, @Metabigot

Have you tried turtle doves fingerless gloves? I can highly recommend them. They're brilliant and will keep you lovely and warm

Please
or

Endlesslypatient82 · 30/08/2022 09:55

feministqueen · 30/08/2022 08:41

Have you tried turtle doves fingerless gloves? I can highly recommend them. They're brilliant and will keep you lovely and warm

I bought on the basis of mumsnet hype and I was so disappointed. They look nice but absolutely not technical gear

Please
or

ProperVexed · 30/08/2022 14:02

I've got an electric gilet. Bought from a country outdoorsy shop last year. It was expensive but I love it. Mine is tight fitting. I wear it over a base layer, then have a fleece and coat on top. That way the warmth stays next to me, and doesn't get stopped by the insulation of fleece etc.
Mine only heats on my back, and I really wish it did my chest as well. Battery lasts a couple of hours.
I'm tempted with the Rab gilet mentioned above to wear in 5be house though. I have a Rab insuloft anorak and it's fabulous!

Please
or

Metabigot · 30/08/2022 17:22

Endlesslypatient82 · 30/08/2022 08:36

www.e-outdoor.co.uk/p/rab_womens_cirrus_flex_2_vest/

i went with this one. Can’t see any difference but cheaper?

Yes it's cheaper but I prefer the bering sea colour. If I'm gonna spend that much I want a nice colour ( nothing wrong with the other colour if you like it, but not for me)

Please
or

Muchtoomuchtodo · 30/08/2022 17:28

I had one for my birthday earlier this year. My office is freezing so I’m going to wear it at work and charge the battery packs there too!

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?