Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

NHS Coronavirus information. Information from gov.uk. Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have health concerns, please seek medical attention.

Related: Lockdown Learning, discuss home schooling during lockdown.

MNHQ have commented on this thread

8th Dec 6pm press conference

PurpleDaisies · 08/12/2021 17:14

Whitty
Vallance
Johnson

I wonder what they’ll say.

OP's posts:
Please
or

paranoidnamechanger · 08/12/2021 22:35

@PurpleDaisies

Do people see it yet that life is not going back to how it was.

Yet.

To be honest, things aren’t that different for us. There are changes but I can live with wearing a mask to Asda. I realise I’m in a fortunate position thought.

There is no yet. Life has changed forever for so many people, in terms of the mental health crisis alone.
Please
or

PurpleDaisies · 08/12/2021 22:27

Do people see it yet that life is not going back to how it was.

Yet.

To be honest, things aren’t that different for us. There are changes but I can live with wearing a mask to Asda. I realise I’m in a fortunate position thought.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Wokemon · 08/12/2021 22:23

Do people see it yet that life is not going back to how it was. Apparently 6 months ago that was fear mongering and a conspiracy theory. Welcome to the new world order.

Please
or

Itisasecret · 08/12/2021 22:23

It’s really all pontificating anyway. Primaries are truly struggling. Many have swathes of staff off long term sick. Staff exposed to high viral loads, so no masks, no vaccination, no SD, no masks. Literally no protection. For all the talk of secondary being “fucked” on here; I know far more primary children under long term supply because their teachers are ill. Oh and primary children can actually get quite sick.

The fact we’ve used our children and put them at risk to obtain a restriction free, herd immunity, is nothing short of fucking disgusting. No one will address that though. It’s too uncomfortable.

Please
or

PurpleDaisies · 08/12/2021 22:22

Don’t worry-just thought you’d get better advice elsewhere. Will report your post to get it sorted.

OP's posts:
Please
or

BeckySteph · 08/12/2021 22:21

Sorry I’m new here and I put this on the wrong thread :( I’ve requested to have it taken down. Don’t know how to delete it

Please
or

PurpleDaisies · 08/12/2021 22:20

@BeckySteph I think you’ve accidentally posted on a covid thread rather than started one in relationships!

OP's posts:
Please
or

HariboMaroon · 08/12/2021 22:19

@BewareTheLibrarians

They are. I agree with you, it’s a fucking nightmare. I’m on supply at the minute for primary and secondary and the problems are so so far reaching amongst all the age groups. They really need to be in school.

Please
or

BeckySteph · 08/12/2021 22:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Please
or

Happypootle · 08/12/2021 22:14

@herecomesthsun your post about Arthur I find distasteful. You are right that there are child murders outside of lockdown. However Arthur's murder specifically occurred due to lthe circumstances of lockdown, lack of grandparents access/ threatened arrest etc. this was stated in court. Lockdown vastly increases risk factors for children in abusive homes.

Please
or

BewareTheLibrarians · 08/12/2021 22:12

@HariboMaroon

Yes “full lockdowns” incorporate school closures.

I already have some parents on my social media bellowing it from the rooftops that schools need to close.

It really is a mass psychosis. Do people thrive off drama?

Fingers crossed they won't anymore, it's been an absolute shitshow to "catch up", to even try to start to fix the problems and lost learning that lockdown has caused, the increased safeguarding concerns, the year 10s who've become very stressed year 11s due to missing a chunk of their year... I could go on. I'm guessing the parents on social media you see are primary? Because all my secondary colleagues and secondary parents I personally know are desperate for schools to stay open and really worried that they won't without some form of mitigation (masks/ventilation/vaccination). Having said that, I do completely support parents with CV/CEV children/family members homeschooling because again - no mitigations.
Please
or

MarshaBradyo · 08/12/2021 22:06

[quote BewareTheLibrarians]@MarshaBradyo Does full lockdown = closed schools though? I've worked through a "full lockdown" in a school with no masks in class etc, (and I'm sure many who work in factories and healthcare have had to work in similar/worse environments despite a "full lockdown".)

Another school closure would be awful for students of all ages.[/quote]
It generally does to non KW children, it has each time we’ve had a full lock down

If people mean tier 4 with schools open to all then slightly different

Although I doubt even that due to no furlough and resistance to bringing it back

Please
or

Undisclosedlocation · 08/12/2021 22:04

[quote EasterIssland]@Undisclosedlocation If omnicron is going to be the main variant in a few weeks with 10-20-30k cases a day … imagine how many people would have to self isolate meaning many businesses won’t be able to run again. If this variant isn’t any more dangerous than others (in terms of hospitals) it makes sense to Try to reduce it but not to bring the country to a stand still (specially if they’re negative)[/quote]
Oh I quite agree.
I’m not in favour of new restrictions and support the move to daily testing. I doubt very much if fiddling about with a few masks and suchlike will have a material difference on figures though and it all seems a little contradictory. Just like last weeks travel measure….you must isolate at home while awaiting pcr test results, but it’s fine to go from the airport via public transport first!
Like everything else the government have brought in….half measures, with poor messaging or explanation. Or in fact, any logic at all in most cases

Please
or

BewareTheLibrarians · 08/12/2021 22:04

@MarshaBradyo Does full lockdown = closed schools though? I've worked through a "full lockdown" in a school with no masks in class etc, (and I'm sure many who work in factories and healthcare have had to work in similar/worse environments despite a "full lockdown".)

Another school closure would be awful for students of all ages.

Please
or

VikingOnTheFridge · 08/12/2021 22:02

There will always be Arthurs, but you risk more of them during lockdown. Anyone who is justifying lockdown, either retrospectively or in the future, needs to understand and accept that.

Because ultimately that's what the choice to lockdown or not is. Which groups of vulnerable and which competing interests do you prioritise. The problem is a general failure to understand that this is the basis decisions have to be made on. There aren't any good options now.

Please
or

HariboMaroon · 08/12/2021 22:00

Yes “full lockdowns” incorporate school closures.

I already have some parents on my social media bellowing it from the rooftops that schools need to close.

It really is a mass psychosis. Do people thrive off drama?

Please
or

EasterIssland · 08/12/2021 21:56

@Undisclosedlocation If omnicron is going to be the main variant in a few weeks with 10-20-30k cases a day … imagine how many people would have to self isolate meaning many businesses won’t be able to run again. If this variant isn’t any more dangerous than others (in terms of hospitals) it makes sense to Try to reduce it but not to bring the country to a stand still (specially if they’re negative)

Please
or

VikingOnTheFridge · 08/12/2021 21:55

Oh I missed that re Omicron. Good idea, because otherwise the entire population will be in isolation within weeks, the rate that thing spreads at.

Please
or

Hearwego · 08/12/2021 21:55

But there isnt anymore furlough schemes so I don’t see how we can have a full lockdown...

Please
or

herecomesthsun · 08/12/2021 21:55

@PrincessNutNuts

After Victoria Climbie there was a great initiative called Every Child Matters or something like that.

15 years ago everyone I know who works with children said good things about it.

What happened to that?

It is actually impossible for the state and well intentioned neighbours to prevent every single case of child abuse / child murder.

Horrible people exist, and they often have had horrible childhoods too.

Man hands down misery to man, It deepens like a coastal shelf, etc (Larkin)

Of course, we should do our best to intervene and train HCPs etc. But there will, very sadly, always be more Arthurs. There were over 60 child deaths caused by their parents per year- before covid.

It doesn't necessarily mean that there should never be a lockdown.

It might well mean that going in early and short would have been better than a lockdown lasting months and months with no means for social services to intervene.

It might have been an argument, in fact, for running cases a bit lower and keeping some mitigations, so we didn't risk a longer lockdown.
Please
or

MarshaBradyo · 08/12/2021 21:54

[quote BewareTheLibrarians]**@Watapalava* @HariboMaroon*

Who is advocating for closing schools though? All I've seen on this thread is advocating keeping schools open, so yelling at people for wanting schools closed is a little bit odd as nobody's actually said that.[/quote]
A few posts talking about ‘full lockdown’

Please
or

Undisclosedlocation · 08/12/2021 21:53

@Noeuf

What does the self isolation replaced by daily testing for contacts mean?

Currently - vaccinated or otherwise exempt - no self isolation except for omicron contacts
- unvaccinated, self isolation for contacts

What’s changing?

I think the omicron isolation for contacts is being replaced by daily testing?
Which seems like a relaxation that which makes no sense to me alongside other measures tightening
Please
or

BewareTheLibrarians · 08/12/2021 21:53

@Watapalava @HariboMaroon

Who is advocating for closing schools though? All I've seen on this thread is advocating keeping schools open, so yelling at people for wanting schools closed is a little bit odd as nobody's actually said that.

Please
or

TheKeatingFive · 08/12/2021 21:52

Lockdown also exacerbates situations which lead to aggression and violence.

Exactly

Please
or

MarshaBradyo · 08/12/2021 21:52

Lockdown also exacerbates situations which lead to aggression and violence.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.