Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

When's the best time to get pregnant? Use our interactive ovulation calculator to work out when you're most fertile and most likely to conceive.

TTC whilst breastfeeding. Tips, advice and support

Porridgeaddiction · 11/07/2022 16:55

Hi all,

There doesn't seem to be a thread for TTC whilst breastfeeding, so I thought that I'd start one. All welcome to jump aboard if that's your journey too, or offer tips and insights if you've managed to conceive whilst feeding a young one.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Katnissx · 26/09/2022 20:23

Sorry to hear that @Porridgeaddiction hope it gets corrected quickly so you can get on with TTC 🀞

Please
or

A1b2c3d4e5f6g7 · 24/09/2022 11:29

@Porridgeaddiction I'm so sorry, but so glad you've figured it out and can treat it. And as you said, once it's corrected, it may well trigger your period quite quickly

Please
or

Porridgeaddiction · 23/09/2022 22:32

It could have been that the high T3 and T4 levels were stopping my period from returning, so once corrected, it may trigger my cycles to start again.

I've been reading online and most cases resolve in about 3-6 months, so hopefully it hasn't put me out of the game for too long. I'll still be checking in on this thread to hear all of your progress!

OP's posts:
Please
or

Orangio · 23/09/2022 20:28

@Porridgeaddiction oh I'm sorry to hear that. It's great that you have an endocrinologist appointment next week though - hopefully they can get on top of it quickly. It's so hard though when you're in the headspace for ttc but circumstances prevent you. I've been there and I sympathise big time.

Please
or

Porridgeaddiction · 23/09/2022 20:17

Congratulations! @northerngal20 that's fantastic news! How exciting!

Unfortunately I'm out of the running at the moment. I developed a bit of an appetite that turned into insatiable hunger. Went to the dr's and after bloods I've been diagnosed with hyperthyroidism. I've been told not to TTC until thyroid levels are sorted as there's a higher chance of miscarriage with high thyroid levels. I'm waiting on an appointment with the endocrinologist next week as GP wasn't sure of the medication as I'm breastfeeding.

Kind of gutted. Also pretty gutted that everyone that I know who has suffered from hyperthyroidism has lost weight. I have put on weight with all the eating 🀣

Hope everyone else is doing ok. I'm hoping for lots more happy news in the upcoming weeks πŸ™‚

OP's posts:
Please
or

Orangio · 22/09/2022 21:30

Great news @northerngal20 ! At least now you know that for you it's probably necessary to stop BF to conceive (might come in handy if you have another after this one)! How far along do you think you are?

@Katnissx try fertility friend? It has the clearest chart of all the apps I've seen people posting on the conception board.

I've started temping and it's really obvious if I haven't had enough sleep - I get a 0.5 degree spike! But at least I know why so hopefully can still work out IF I'm ovulating, which is the main thing.

@Porridgeaddiction how are you doing?

Please
or

Katnissx · 22/09/2022 17:19

Wow congratulations @nonortherngal20 that's amazing! You must be over the moon 😊

Please
or

northerngal20 · 22/09/2022 09:57

thanks @A1b2c3d4e5f6g7 :) still feels very surreal! although i will say i'm finding i have a lot less time to think about it/worry this time around with a toddler which can only be a good thing!

he's 16 months. Yeah it's a difficult thing to decide - such a personal decision as to when to drop feeds! we gradually subbed some feeds with formula (/ cow's milk when he was bigger) so by the end we were just doing one BF a day. i loved that feed cause it was first thing in the morning and it was so cosy! but now we just have the cuddle time instead and it's nice cause it means i can occasionally get a proper lie in if OH gets up to do it!

you might find that just dropping a feed or two gets things going - i just seemed to be super sensitive to the hormones as even with just the one feed my cycles were still all over the place.

Please
or

A1b2c3d4e5f6g7 · 22/09/2022 09:43

@northerngal20 congratulations!!! Amazing news! So happy for you πŸ₯³

How old is your little one now? I'm wondering if I need to stop also, as my cycles seem similar to yours - random cm patterns and a short luteal phase. I still fully breastfeed prob 8+ times a day. Have bought some formula to introduce soon, and was hoping to sub in a few feeds πŸ€·β€β™€οΈ

Please
or

northerngal20 · 22/09/2022 09:37

yay @Orangio ! very exciting! definitely a sign fertility is coming back!

update from me - i decided to stop BFing last month (we did the last feed the day my period came) as my cycles were really long and I was getting EWCM at random times throughout the month, so I was starting to think it was either making me ovulate really late and have a short LP, or preventing ovulation completely. I had had 4 cycles with nothing happening. So... fast forward to this week and it seems to have done the trick as i just got a BFP! it's very early days and i'm not sure i fully believe it, but cautiously optimistic.

Slightly sad that I had to stop BFing to get there but DS has adapted really well - we've just switched our morning feed with a story and milk and he seems to be quite enjoying the new routine. I think i must just be one of those people for who BFing really affects fertility.

Anyway - just wanted to pop on and update. Hope you're all doing okay! x

Please
or

Katnissx · 22/09/2022 09:30

@A1b2c3d4e5f6g7 I think I'm going to start tomorrow morning, I'm struggling to find a good app to record it on though. I used to use Ovia but it doesn't seem available to download any more. Has anyone got any app recommendations?

@Orangio ohh yay that is good news! I bet you are so happy πŸ˜ƒ that's really interesting, I think I will treat it as a mini AF! It has completely stopped now so will track CM & hopefully BBT and see what happens ☺️🀞 same here with BBT, not sure it will be super accurate but worth a try!

@Mc3209 yes the fiddling is the worst!!! My DD does it too and it drives me mad πŸ™ˆsounds like you have a hopeful sign of AF though so that's good πŸ˜ƒ

Please
or

Mc3209 · 22/09/2022 07:53

@Orangio whoop! Whoop! Congratulations on the return of the period! How exciting πŸ™‚

My nipples have been super sensitive over past week. Breastfeeding has become interesting to say the least, but the fiddling with the other nipple during feeds is the worst πŸ₯΄ I am hoping it's the sign AF will show up soon, I used to get very sensitive nipples before AF in the past.

Please
or

A1b2c3d4e5f6g7 · 21/09/2022 10:08

Ah yay @Orangio welcome to sub fertility 🀣

Please
or

Orangio · 21/09/2022 09:27

Good news! I got my first period this morning! So happy it's back (and now I can fight the next battle... subfertility) 🀣

@Katnissx I got spotting about 24 days before this period, so maybe it was a sort of mini period, and maybe yours is too? Think you should assume it is and get some BD-ing in at the right time!
I'm trying bbt too. I don't think it will be as accurate because I'm up a lot in the night, but I'm hoping for a rough pattern. Hopefully I can see a phase of generally higher temps post ovulation even if I can't pinpoint the day. Will be interesting to see how we get on! Is anyone else charting?

Please
or

A1b2c3d4e5f6g7 · 21/09/2022 05:34

Hi @Katnissx I don't BBT atm but will start again soonish. I think also OPKs are not accurate when breastfeeding, so I haven't been using those either. Just following fertility awareness signs.

How about you?

Please
or

Katnissx · 20/09/2022 22:12

@A1b2c3d4e5f6g7 thank you, I hope so too- I am so broody πŸ™ˆ do you BBT or anything? I'm wondering whether to start so I can work out if I'm ovulating yet πŸ€” (OPKs don't really work for me due to PCOS)

Please
or

A1b2c3d4e5f6g7 · 20/09/2022 20:51

@Katnissx oh that is strange. I think the breastfeeding hormones just mess our bodies up so much. Hopefully it is your first period

Please
or

Katnissx · 20/09/2022 20:41

@A1b2c3d4e5f6g7 still having spotting, it became a bit heavier so I thought it was AF starting but then became lighter again and it mostly has been like CM with a bit of blood mixed in. So I don't really know if it is AF or not... My periods are usually quite heavy so this is strange for me. Although I haven't had a period in a long while so maybe it's just a weird first period? Idk πŸ™ˆ

Please
or

A1b2c3d4e5f6g7 · 19/09/2022 07:34

@Katnissx what's happened with the spotting since?

@Mc3209 sorry about the negative test, that's rubbish.

@Orangio impeccable timing 🀣 oh dear.

@PinkDucks hope your fertile week goes well!

I'm staying at a relatives house to help them out (they're unwell) so I think I am out this month. However noticed I'm ovulating very late in the cycle with a very short luteal phase, which apparently is v common sun fertility when breastfeeding πŸ™„

Please
or

Orangio · 18/09/2022 15:17

Aw sorry @Mc3209 that sucks πŸ™ Fake symptoms are the worst.

@PinkDucks hope fertile week was successful! It's so much harder with the little one in the house eh. DS has impeccable timing with waking up πŸ™„

Please
or

Mc3209 · 18/09/2022 13:25

Ugh. It was just a dicky belly. BFN on FRER today.

Please
or

Katnissx · 17/09/2022 15:12

I've got spotting again today, what does it mean?! πŸ˜«πŸ€£πŸ™ˆ
How's everyone else getting on?

Please
or

PinkDucks · 15/09/2022 11:33

@Orangio yes should be going into fertile week now! I'm hoping my cycles go back pretty regular. My period went awol after my first mc but that was a much later loss and think my hormones needed time to settle so keeping everything crossed that won't happen again!

I keep meaning to start testing with opk's but things have been a bit manic and I keep forgetting! Very different to ttc first time around when nothing was forgotten, I religiously used opk's and temped - it was all done with military precision to ensure success πŸ˜‚. Definitely more chilled about it this time - for now anyway!!

@Mc3209 I used to be a serial symptom spotter too! It's so cruel that pre period symptoms are very similar! Enjoy that wine 😏

Please
or

Katnissx · 14/09/2022 00:33

@Mc3209 thank you! Yes definitely, enjoy that wine while you can πŸ˜„

Please
or

Mc3209 · 14/09/2022 00:26

Still away on vacation, still feeling a bit icky, but I am also still having that glass of wine.. I don't want to convince myself I am pregnant (I am terrible for finding pregnancy symptoms which all magically disappear after a negative test), behave like one, and then to see a BFN on Monday.

@Orangio the wait for the cycles feels endless, doesn't it.
@Katnissx fingers crossed hormones are starting to do their thing.
@PinkDucks good luck this fertile week!

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?