My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

From present ideas to party food, find all your Christmas inspiration here.

Christmas

Christmas tree lights HELP !!!!!

18 replies

Redannie118 · 22/08/2021 17:54

Hi I could really use the collective wisdom of MN! So last year we decided that this year we would like coloured tree lights. I need to start early as money is tight and ive noticed several places( including Amazon) have some good reductions on lights and I would like to get in early and nab some. Problem is, the lights i have were given to me 20 years ago( with no box !) and i dont have the faintest idea what size or amount of lights I need!!!
Tree will be a real one, about 5ft5 high but very fat.
Lights will need to plug in, plug point is about 2 ft away.
I like the lights to be visable but not overpowering.
Just plain, small lights, not lanterns or baubles or anything.
If anyone can PLEASE help or maybe even attach some links? Budget maximum is 45 pounds but if could get it down to closer to 30 that would be amazing. Thank you so much !!!

OP posts:
lachy · 22/08/2021 18:40

I go by the general rule of 100 lights per foot of tree, but I also have a set that I thread up the centre of the tree (they are very tightly clustered)

On my 7ft tree I tend to have a set of 480 lights, a set of 240 and my central cluster. (probably about 900 lights in total)

Costco might be worth a look, but it might also be worth a look in House of Fraser/JL as they might have some of last years stock in the sale, my set of 480 came from HoF 6 years ago about this time of year.

loopylindi · 22/08/2021 18:47

We have a 7ft tree and that gets about 700 mixed lights. LEDs tend to give the brightest light, although we do also have some of the older ones with little glass bulbs. These are slowly giving up the ghost though and we will go down the total LED route. The bigger 480 sets are usually sold in DIY shops and garden centres. Colour themed lights are trendy but IMO coloured are more festive and will give you many years pleasure

Cocolapew · 22/08/2021 18:49

I bought cluster lights from B&M last year and they are brilliant, think they were about £20 I used 2 sets on a 6ft tree

Redannie118 · 22/08/2021 18:51

Thank you so much guys !! What length cable do i need?

OP posts:
Gladioli23 · 22/08/2021 18:57

I may be a lighting scrooge but I use a batch of 100 lights for a narrow 5 ft tree - it doesn't look light heavy but equally it's not horrifyingly sparse (to me). However, my parents still have a set of only 20 lights for their tree so I probably have a low bar for light numbers! Example attached.

BaronessBomburst · 22/08/2021 19:03

I also have 100 coloured lights on a 6 foot tree.

loopylindi · 22/08/2021 19:17

@redannie118 most LED lights come with a good length of cable already. You might need an adapter though (depending how many sets you end up with) and something we can't do without - a remote control plug/socket. Makes everything so easy. Or you could put them on a timer.

WhispersOfWickedness · 22/08/2021 23:05

This is my 7ft tree with about 500 lights Smile

JoyOrbison · 22/08/2021 23:10

I am watching this thread as desperate to have coloured lights on my tree but dh hates them!!

TheGirlWhoLived · 22/08/2021 23:14

I have 500 lights on 6.5 foot tree (warm white)
I love them! I don’t have a picture handy until I pop on the imac tomorrow but it’s definitely dazzly enough

Bigoldhag · 22/08/2021 23:32

I have 600 lights on my 6ft tree (and reasonably plump!) and also subscribe to the 100 lights per foot.

I did choose 400 for my 6 foot very slimlime tree and that looks equally lovely.

Wilko seem to do good lights of you hold out for end of September. I think my 600 were about £20-£25, lasted me three years so far. They did a multi colour.

idontlikealdi · 22/08/2021 23:33

I've got 3 sets of 100 LED multi coloured lights on a 6ft tree. I went to multi coloured last year after years of white and I bloody love them. So much more Christmassy!

aerosocks · 22/08/2021 23:41

What I've noticed when I've replaced old strings of lights recently, is that there used to be a much bigger gap between the individual lights on the wire string. They were much further spread out, so a string of 80 lights was really long and would go all the way round and up the tree.

For some reason they now make them with the bulbs much closer together and the string itself is a lot shorter. So you need a string with far more lights on it, otherwise it is nowhere near long enough to go round.

Friendofdennis · 22/08/2021 23:57

I used a mix of coloured lights from Tesco and three strings of battery operated copper wire star lights from Lidl. You can also get the copper wire lights from Asda living and they are great as you can mould them to the branches and they hold their shape.

SpnBaby1967 · 23/08/2021 09:40

I have coloured lights on my tree after being in the white camp for decade, and I LOVE them. To be it just feels so much more fun & festive.

I also do the 100 lights per foot.

happymummy12345 · 24/08/2021 01:29

We have 800 on our 6 foot tree. 400 warm white and 400 multicoloured. I like a very full bright tree with lots of colour. You can hardly see the branches by the time our tree is done.

PoshWatchShitShoes · 24/08/2021 13:09

I've got a 7ft tree. I bought 2000 cluster lights. They looked beautiful, as the sparkle is all over the tree

PoshWatchShitShoes · 24/08/2021 13:12

It was these ones, but with 2000 lights (they seem to be out of stock in warm white at the mo). I'd recommend them

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.