My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

From present ideas to party food, find all your Christmas inspiration here.

Christmas

Present for an 18m girl whose parents don’t like plastic tat!

55 replies

Holidayshopping · 04/12/2018 20:48

We don’t know her well to know what toys or books she’s already got, but the parents are quite environmentally friendly/aware and I know the mum hates anything overtly pink and girlie or generally plastic!

Can anyone think of anything maybe a bit quirky (£20 ish?) that they might not already have?! Blush

OP posts:
cablewable · 04/12/2018 20:49

We got a lovely little wooden tea set for our daughter a couple of years ago from Asda- they have a lovely wooden range and reasonably priced.

AvoidingMarking · 04/12/2018 20:49

A wooden puzzle? My daughter got a wooden Noah's ark about that age and wooden fruit to chop.

Chef outfit and baking stuff?

(Also not a fan of plastic!)

AvoidingMarking · 04/12/2018 20:50

Second the comment about wooden selection st Asda. We have the tea set, sauce pan and kitchen from there

Dermymc · 04/12/2018 20:50
LuckyDiamond · 04/12/2018 20:50

John Lewis used to do a lovely wooden set of naughts and crosses.

Lollyice · 04/12/2018 20:52

Dd received a musical snow globe as a baby. It comes out with the Christmas decorations so is like a new gift from friend each year!

Beetlebum1981 · 04/12/2018 20:54
EssentialHummus · 04/12/2018 20:57

The SkipHop brand is lovely and quirky, plastic but not tat. Otherwise I second a wooden fruit/veg/pizza set - Aldi/Lidl sometimes have them in, otherwise see links above.

recklessgran · 04/12/2018 20:58

I have a vegan DD with 14 month old who also detests plastic toys. Lots of lovely wooden toys on Baba Me. I would highly recommend them. Great customer service, speedy delivery and excellent quality toys.You would be able to get something lovely from there within your budget.They have a very wide variety and many quite unusual toys. If not what try typing "wooden toy" in Amazon search box and you will find some lovely toys under £20.

PaulHollywoodsSexGut · 04/12/2018 20:58

Look up Le Toy Van - nice and durable wooden toys.

Every kid LOVES the birthday cake. It’s a fact.

GruffaloStick · 04/12/2018 20:59

Aldi and Lidl have some really lovely wooden toys this year, I think both had a toy garage which look great for the price.
If you want brand there's Grimms, schleich, holtztiger etc but £20 might not get far
Second Melissa & Doug, they often have bargains in tkmaxx too. My toddler loves the tea set which is in your price range

Blankiefan · 04/12/2018 21:00

We were given this puzzle when DD was about that when loads of play value. She's 5 now and played with it the other day there.

NanooCov · 04/12/2018 21:01

Have a look on Mulberry Bush. They do loads of nice wooden toys. Janod, Plan Toys and Hape are all good. Kidly also stock some really nice quirky things.

EgremontRusset · 04/12/2018 21:02

You could go for something where it doesn’t matter if they already have some? DS (same age) is really into his brio trains, stacking/shape sorting, and model animals. Those are all quite eco friendly and doesn’t matter if you already have some.

SoftSheen · 04/12/2018 21:03

A Grimm's Rainbow, if they don't already have one. Ticks all your boxes!

EgremontRusset · 04/12/2018 21:05

also - Tegu blocks? Bit quirky, fun, not too big

Batteriesallgone · 04/12/2018 21:06

Some brands for you that are popular with the eschewing plastic toys parenting FB groups I’m in:
Grimms
Grapat (particularly the nins sets)
Gluckskafer
Holztiger
Lanka Kade
Ostheimer
Bigjigs

Two good retailers are Babi Pur and Yes Bebe. Both do discounts if you join their facebook pages.

Alternatively, people often make an exception for Duplo.

Tiredmum100 · 04/12/2018 21:11

Asda have some lovely wooden toys. Very reasonably priced.

Batteriesallgone · 04/12/2018 21:15

If it was me I’d get a Grimms casa and a set of Grimms pebbles from Yes Bebe, over £25 is free shipping. My kids love the Grimms casa sol and the pebbles are a big hit with one / two year olds.

Racecardriver · 04/12/2018 21:18

John Lewis do cheap wooden toys that are not gendered and educational. Avoid ale Toy Van though. Poor quality ime. How good is her language? If she is speaking you could get her some dress up stuff.

NameChange30 · 04/12/2018 21:20

I got a good wooden shape sorter from Argos, it was really good value.

DS also loves Mega Bloks (better than Duplo for this age) so they're a great present even though they're not wooden.

Also wooden fruit/veg set as PPs have suggested.

Crayons - you can get natural wax ones.

And musical books have always been a big hit in our house.

Newsletters you might like

Discover Exclusive Savings!

Sign up to our Money Saver newsletter now and receive exclusive deals and hot tips on where to find the biggest online bargains, tailored just for Mumsnetters.

You've subscribed!

Parent-Approved Gems Await!

Subscribe to our weekly Swears By newsletter and receive handpicked recommendations for parents, by parents, every Sunday.

You've subscribed!

KatherinaMinola · 04/12/2018 21:21

I would get the Melissa and Doug food. It's a lovely gift and if they already have it they can regift.

BifsWif · 04/12/2018 21:22

I second Mulberry Bush, I’ve bought my daughter a lot of lovely things from there this year.

KatherinaMinola · 04/12/2018 21:22

This one - £15 and free delivery today:

Food groups

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.