Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Get updates on how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy by signing up to the Mumsnet Pregnancy Newsletters.

Should I be worried? Long latent labour?

disappearingact · 06/05/2022 06:17

I’ve been having period like cramps for days and some small contractions, but then they stop and don’t kick off again for another day or so. I’m 39 weeks + 6 so I every time it happens I think its the real deal.

Yesterday was the longest yet. 1am to 6pm the following night and then it stopped before bedtime.

Midwife said its fine and can go on like this for days and even if I’m over due shouldn’t be an issue as long as baby is moving and my waters haven’t broken…and he is moving / they haven’t.

Problem is it’s starting to really wear me down mentally and physically, and it feels like the longer it goes on the riskier it gets for me and the bub.

is the midwife right or should I be insisting on trying to be induced? Feels like each MW has a different opinion on it as well.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Cappuccino17 · 20/05/2022 00:32

I got induced after 48 hours of the latent phase and delivered the same afternoon. Couldn't bear the contractions any longer.

Please
or

disappearie · 19/05/2022 20:24

Ended up going to 41 + 2 - they ended up giving me a pessary and that got things going. Massive contractions 6 hrs later, went from 1cm to 7cm in an hour. Had an epidural and then waited for a another 4 hrs, and then pushed him out after 20 mins of pushing. Thank bloody christ, that was a nightmare of a pregnancy 😂

Please
or

Confused521 · 18/05/2022 17:53

Good luck. My little boy arrived at 40+5 xx

Please
or

disappearingact · 12/05/2022 02:02

Stilllll pregnant, good news is the niggles stopped for a few days to allow me some respite but the baby is now compressing a nerve in my leg rendering my unable to walk.

In other news the same tightening contractions have started again. Now 40+3, praying its the real deal. 🙏

OP's posts:
Please
or

Confused521 · 11/05/2022 19:23

I had it with my third in Jan for over 2 weeks. The labour itself was just 4 hours though! I think it's the body preparing and as long as you can rest, just go with the flow xxx

Please
or

disappearingact · 08/05/2022 03:22

@89redballoons thanks for the message. Latent labour complete stopped now for a few days. So besides being uncomfortable I can at least sleep a bit better than I was. If it happens again I’ll be asking for codeine though, that stuff is lovely 😂

40 wks + 1 now so will be seeing the midwife tomorrow. Hopefully they can give me something to make me more comfortable at night until this little guy decides to make an appearance 😊

OP's posts:
Please
or

89redballoons · 07/05/2022 20:33

Poor you- I've been through this recently with my second and it was miserable.

The day before he was born I'd been in latent labour for 2 days and hadn't slept more than 6 hours in that time. I called the MLU where I was booked in and actually sobbed over the phone - they gave me some dihydrocodeine that evening which meant I actually slept. (Probably the best night of sleep I'll have for several years) so it could be worth asking about pain relief if you're struggling.

Once I actually got past 4cm dilated, all went very quickly and was straightforward - 2.5 hours active labour with gas and air and the pool, and healthy DS2 born after just 3 pushes.

Please
or

disappearingact · 06/05/2022 07:48

@WalkerWalking yeah that makes sense, this is my second. With my first the waters broke first so I had a sense of progress at least. That said she did take 24 hrs before they sped it up with an epi and hormonal drip. 2.5 days later we met. 🙄

OP's posts:
Please
or

linerforlife · 06/05/2022 06:50

It's so wearing isn't it - physically and mentally. I had similar as baby was back to back and basically my body was trying to turn her (which she did). It went on for days. I kept my days minimal and basically went for a short walk each morning, and then watched Netflix and took all day to prep dinner in stages depending on how my contractions were. You need to stay hydrated and keep eating small meals. Hang on in there OP Cake

Please
or

StephMum92 · 06/05/2022 06:45

I had this with my first. I was at check up every week from around 35 weeks due to suspected pre-eclampsia and the midwife had told me I was in slow labour from about 10 days before I had DD. I ended up having to be induced but only because my waters broke and my labour just wasn't going any further. I do think if they'd of left it a couple more hours before starting induction she would have come naturally though as I only had the drip on the lowest for 3 hours and went from 2cm to fully dilated and that was with an epidural which they always warn can slow labour down. If speak to midwife if you have any concerns or worries. Good luck on your little ones arrival! Xx

Please
or

WalkerWalking · 06/05/2022 06:25

This definitely can be normal, and more common the more babies you have (I had three weeks of this with baby #4, including 3 episodes of really believing he was imminent) But if it's really worrying you then of course you can discuss induction with the midwife. I personally wouldn't push for an induction if not necessary, but that's your decision to make.

Please
or

tothemoonandbackbuses · 06/05/2022 06:22

I had a long early labour with my first and it ended in an emcs (after a long active labour and the drip). The reason labour never really got going was he was too big to descend.
you can ask for an elcs at any point.
Did have few days of early labour with my second but once it got started it progressed as it should

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.