Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet does not check the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you're worried about the health of your chickens, please speak to a vet or qualified professional.

Anything (humane!!) you can do about a noisy cockerel?

Umlellala · 11/06/2008 10:56

I live in Hackney. London. And a few doors down they have a cockerel and chickens. Tbh I quite like hearing it during the day, it makes me laugh and dd always goes 'Itsa HEN'. HOWEVER when it is crowing every 5 mins from 2am it is not so funny (espesh with all the windows open).

Is there any point in saying something? i.e is there anything they could actually do?

Cheers, chicken keepers!

OP's posts:
Please
or

Callisto · 16/06/2008 11:05

Keeping cockerels in the inner city could actually be against the local bylaws? If not ask them to soundproof/lightproof the chicken coop, though I like the gun suggestion too.

Please
or

laura032004 · 15/06/2008 20:57

We had two cockerels once, and they crowed at stupid hours from 2am onwards. They didn't just crow though in the whole cock-a-doodle-do way, they sounded like they were being eaten by foxes, so I kept going to rescue them. We eventually gave them to a more rural friend who assured us that they would be fine at their house. They ate them soon after!

Please
or

Prufrock · 15/06/2008 20:35

We have a cockerel living over the road from us and never actually have a problem with it - the owners keep it in a chicken shed in the dark and it doesn't start crowing until they let it out, whcih is normally convieniently at about 7:30 to wake up dd and ds.

Please
or

WelliesAndPyjamas · 15/06/2008 20:31

get triple glazing

Please
or

handlemecarefully · 13/06/2008 23:49

I think it's a bit much really to keep a cockerel in towns and cities. JamInMyWellies has to tough it out because she is living in the country, but you should start by discussing it with the local council

Please
or

JamInMyWellies · 11/06/2008 22:31

I posted a similair question a few weeks ago. Coq au vin was my favourite cure. Or knit them some hats to make it appear dark for them so they sleep. With a snifter of brandy.

We have now been suffering for 8wks since we moved and we are slowly getting used to it. Earplugs help.

Please
or

tortoiseSHELL · 11/06/2008 22:25

Get a gun

Please
or

motherhurdicure · 11/06/2008 12:00

Message withdrawn

Please
or

Umlellala · 11/06/2008 11:39

Oh, I assumed they needed it for the eggs

Didn't think there would be anything they could do to stop it crowing. Ah well, it makes a nice change from the police sirens and helicopters I suupose . Thanks for replying.

OP's posts:
Please
or

motherhurdicure · 11/06/2008 11:26

Message withdrawn

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?