Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet does not check the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you're worried about the health of your chickens, please speak to a vet or qualified professional.

Moulting question

MorelliOrRanger · 12/08/2011 21:58

We have 3 hens which are all about 18 months old. One (Light Sussex) has been broody recently but that finished about a week ago. Since then loads of her feathers are falling out. At first I thought she'd been attacked or something as there are feathers everywhere.

I'm a bit worried as the feathers look a bit like they are snapping off as opposed to just coming out. Is this normal?

She's got 2 tail feathers left and a bald patch underneath her vent, also (as I check them all for mites regularly), I've noticed they are all coming out around her neck as well.

Never had a broody or moulting hen til now.

Thanks.

OP's posts:
Please
or

waitingforskinnyjeanstofit · 31/10/2011 10:38

We have 3 hens, one moults big time, going practically bald and very manky looking, whilst the other 2 dont seem to bother at all.
Leave it a week or two and she should start looking better. (the new growth comes through pretty fast-usually by the time we've noticed shes moulting the new feathers are already showing )

Please
or

hiddenhome · 14/08/2011 18:55

Sounds like moulting. My two light sussex have just moulted.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?