My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Get advice and support with infant feeding from other users here.

Infant feeding

Is the Elvie worth it?

13 replies

sunshineonarainyday6 · 03/01/2022 19:53

Hi all, due my second baby soon and am thinking of getting a second hand Elvie so that I can pump once a day to get more sleep whilst my husband gives a bottle (can you tell I'm panicking about how I will cope with two under two 🤣). I have an electric pump we bought with my first child but I found it very restrictive having to be plugged in and think I would find it even more so this time with a toddler to also look after. This way I figured I could nip to the supermarket/park etc and be multitasking. Would others rate the Elvie please or is there another similarly good pump that doesn't need to be plugged in? Thank you Smile

OP posts:
EdgeOfACoin · 04/01/2022 06:13

I considered Elvie but couldn't justify the price tag. In the end I went for a FrauPow: www.fraupow.com/products/wearable-breast-pump

It's not as discreet as the Elvie, and I wouldn't wear it out in public (could maybe get away with it in winter under a heavy coat) but it is wearable and allows me to do other things while I wear it. I did use it to express milk in the car once, which was handy.

Looking at online reviews, I'm not entirely sure how discreet the Elvie is anyway. I think you'd need to buy two or risk looking lopsided!

I did a fair amount of research before going for the FrauPow. It seems as though the Elvie is the smallest/most discreet model you can get, and that's reflected in the price. In the USA there's a rival brand called Willow, which looks good, but I'm not sure you can get it in the UK (and it seems to cost about £500 for a double pump).

RedRobin100 · 04/01/2022 06:16

Following as in same position. I didn’t get on with pumping at all last time (had a wee manual only but it didn’t work) but want to give it a proper go this time around

sunshineonarainyday6 · 04/01/2022 11:59

Thanks so much @EdgeOfACoin. That's really helpful. I would definitely be happy to just use it at home if it wasn't particularly discrete as long as I could at-least move around, do some cooking, play with my toddler etc. And I don't want to pay a fortune (I had even thought of getting second hand and just sterilising properly). I will keep researching and look into the Fraupow.

OP posts:
BDavis · 04/01/2022 13:00

@sunshineonarainyday6 I did a lot of research into this when I was looking for a pump and the majority said that the Elvie wasn’t worth the money and it didn’t have the best level of suction.
I went for the Medela Swing and it was great. Definitely not as discreet as the Elvie but it’s portable and the charge lasted a decent length of time so I wasn’t constantly having to remember to charge it and when it did need charge it charged pretty quickly. I bought some cheap pumping bras from Amazon which allowed me to use it ‘hands free’ and get some jobs done while expressing 😊 I usually just chucked a dressing gown on over the top and carried the little pump unit in my pocket 😊

BDavis · 04/01/2022 13:05

@sunshineonarainyday6 I’m absolutely telling you a lie - it’s the Medela Freestyle Flex that I have Grin🤣🤣 not the Swing. All the rest still applies. It’s been a long day so far 😅😅😅

PocketPenny · 04/01/2022 13:11

Following as I have this exact question! Smile

liveandlaugh · 04/01/2022 13:17

I was unable to nurse so exclusively pumped for my son for 6.5 months and the Elvie pump absolutely saved my pumping journey!
It was very gentle compared to other electric pumps so I did get slightly less output with it compared to my medela swing. For me it was still worth it as I was able to wear it out and about and also while doing things with my little one once be become more active and needed more attention.
However, if you only want to pump once a day with it, then for me it wouldn't be worth the big price tag, but that entirely depends on your individual circumstances.

onetwothreeadventure · 04/01/2022 13:21

Following as been debating purchasing. I've always used a medela but don't really have time to sit and pump without getting on with things. Elvie feels like such a gamble given the price if it doesn't suit me.

Fraupow looks interesting @EdgeOfACoin, how did you find the suction? I don't need it for out and about, more just to be mobile while pumping in the house.

EdgeOfACoin · 04/01/2022 16:39

@onetwothreeadventure, I find the suction okay. I usually have it on level 4 or 5, but it goes up to around level 9.

EdgeOfACoin · 04/01/2022 16:43

Oh, I tend to use a bit of coconut oil to reduce friction when pumping. I think that's quite standard, though, no matter which brand you go for.

Killeen88 · 10/01/2022 00:16

I brought one for the same reason ( to bud a freezer stash and for DH to give a bottle a day. I use the elvis in the morning after ds first breastfeeds and in the evening when my dh gives ds his bottle.
The elvie isn't as powerful as other pumps I've used, but for what I use it for its fine. It's discreet enough that I pump on the nursery drop off in the morning and have happily done the food shop with it on under a coat with no funny looks. I also love that I'm not plugged in a wall, as I have 3 Yr old twins to entertain as well as 5 month old.

A few negatives.... the app is useless and constantly disconnects from the pump which is annoying. You can still use the pump without the app though, so not the end of the world!
It's also a bit more temperamental than other pumps, in that, all the parts have to be 100% dry and placed perfectly otherwise the suction fails.

It is very over priced imo, but I love not being plugged in and there are zero wires, so it makes up for that.

LifeIsBusy · 10/01/2022 00:28

If it's only for once a day can you not use a Hakka or similar, collect the additional letdown from the other side and make that into a bottle? Circa £10

Alternatively, I pumped for 8 months at work with a Bellababy off amazon circa £40. Battery lasts for ages and the suction was epic.

Danikm151 · 10/01/2022 00:34

Bellababy from Amazon and get a pumping bra.
I used to pump while getting on with things at home- had the pump in my pocket- charge lasts ages. It can be loud but you get clips that attach to the pump and connect to a milk bag if needed.
Cheap too!

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.