Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Please don't promote blogs that aren't in the Mumsnet Bloggers Network. Click here to find out more and become a part of our network.

Blog post about someone else's content?

Cassandraprobs · 14/08/2021 08:58

I'm not sure of the 'etiquette' of this, whether it's ok to do - if I write a blog post about what someone else has said on a subject is that ok or is that really nicking their work?

Eg, if I had a cooking blog and found a Youtube video by 'Jane Smith' about how a vegan diet helps your teeth (made up example!) would it be ok to write a blog post about vegan diets being good for your teeth as in 'I've just read this, really interesting, I'll be trying to eat more vegan now' - so saying exactly where I saw it, who made the content etc, not claiming it as my idea. Almost reporting on someone else?

I know the DM do this by mining MN for stories and that's quite distasteful but am I doing the same or is mine ok because it would be only from specifically public things, ie the whole point of Youtube videos are to be shared unlike a forum post.

OP's posts:
Please
or

FortunesFave · 14/08/2021 23:29

I've been writing blogs professionally for over 10 years - bloggers get their information from all sorts of sources. Another blog can certainly inspire and as long as you don't take their wording, it's fine.

Please
or

Cassandraprobs · 14/08/2021 09:33

Thanks @FortunesFave , that would be even better, then it's genuinely my post not just commenting on someone else.

OP's posts:
Please
or

FortunesFave · 14/08/2021 09:14

These are things anyone can look up and speak about in a blog post.

You don't need to say where you read it - do a bit more reading on the subject, get some data to back it up....make sure the data is from proper medical research and link back to that.

This will give you more credibility and Google likes it too. That information isn't exclusive to "Jane Smith" OP so you don't need to mention her.

Just come up with your own way to speak about it.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.