Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Please don't promote blogs that aren't in the Mumsnet Bloggers Network. Click here to find out more and become a part of our network.

Why all of a sudden are men requesting to follow me on instagram and sending me private messages

Corkmom · 16/04/2020 23:25

Hi guys ive been using instagram for a few years. I dont post much, but all of a sudden ive these random men requesting to follow me, they then try to message me. This hasnt happened to me before?? My account is on private i just checked. Any advise would be appreciated! I know nothing about it to be honest

OP's posts:
Please
or

TenThousandSpoons · 16/04/2020 23:28

If you “like” stuff on certain pages Or follow someone, some other people will then ask to follow you, I think in the hope you will follow them to get their numbers up. Not sure about the private messages though, I’ve not had that.

Please
or

Corkmom · 16/04/2020 23:32

Ive had a 55 yr old yesterday ask me was i single! Ive had random people add me before but its the private messages they have never happened before. Only 5 mins ago i got another 2. Im panicking incase my user name is being used on a dating site or something.

OP's posts:
Please
or

LaurieFairyCake · 16/04/2020 23:39

It's just possible that with the lockdown men are needing to find ever more sleazy ways to hit on women now that they can't sleaze over people normally ....

Arseholes Thanks

Please
or

Corkmom · 16/04/2020 23:41

I know! Im a married mother of 2 boys! I think it is so strange though this has never happened before now! And no women doing it.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Corkmom · 16/04/2020 23:42

I was just interested to know if this is the norm

OP's posts:
Please
or

P1nkHeartLovesCake · 16/04/2020 23:47

Because they haven't dipped the dick in a while would be my guess.....block them

Please
or

Corkmom · 16/04/2020 23:49

Def!

OP's posts:
Please
or

Divebar · 16/04/2020 23:53

I have had a number of men approach me on Instagram which was surprising because I only had a tiny picture of myself on my profile but no selfies as such. Mostly they were catfish accounts using stolen images ( which I identified with reverse image searches). I had quite a conversation going with one because I was fascinated by his bull shit. Once I challenged him he shut the whole account down. My friend was approached by a guy and asked me to look up his images for her and he was a catfish too. Lo and behold I ended up getting messaged by him too so I assume he was trawling through her friends looking for women to target.

Please
or

JaneJeffer · 16/04/2020 23:55

I get that too. Mine is on private but I naively allowed a few to follow me when I first joined and then they started messaging me which I ignored and got this from one charmer. I delete follow request from random men now!

Why all of a sudden are men requesting to follow me on instagram and sending me private messages
Please
or

Corkmom · 16/04/2020 23:56

Why do they bother though! Christ all mighty what do they think is gonna happen! I just blocked 3 of them and i now have 2 more requests. Its getting annoying now

OP's posts:
Please
or

JaneJeffer · 17/04/2020 00:01

It is very annoying. I also saw a man following me who I don't follow and I don't know how he did that!

Please
or

Divebar · 17/04/2020 00:14

I’ve never had multiple approaches on the same day so I wonder if it’s one weirdo with multiple accounts ( seems very coincidental otherwise). You can tend to spot the catfish accounts by looking at who they follow... generally about 300 people all of whom will be women.

Please
or

Bigpooh13 · 01/06/2020 21:31

Yep big old catfishes. I like to tease them abit then tell them I'm skint. Off they go.

Please
or

LaurieSchafferIsAllBitterNow · 01/06/2020 21:37

only problem I have had on insta was putting on pictures of my rainbow toe pedi....ooooh the weirdos that brought out

I must have very enticing feet :o but sadly for the weirdos I no longer post pictures of my feet.

Please
or

GalaKC · 04/11/2020 00:42

Lol they get everywhere, I wouldn't worry. My IG account is just a photography one, I never post photos of myself on it and the only place you could see me is my tiny profile pic. Still get the weirdos sliding into my DMs like filthy water through a crack.A recent one approached me with this opening line: " I am not calling you a hoe or anything, but would you like me to become your your Sugar Daddy? Women love to be pampered and I will take care of all your bills". Masterpiece of charm. I wanted to answer I'm not calling you a creep or anything, but would you mind fucking off? 😂😂😂 I am 45 years old, ffs!!!!😂😂😂

Please
or

saraclara · 04/11/2020 00:44

I've had the same thing happening for the last few weeks. It's entirely new to me. They all appear to be men of around my age, and of a type.

I mentioned it elsewhere and was told they were bots.

Please
or

FingersXrossed · 04/11/2020 00:51

I had a random bloke start following me and comment on a photo, "Hi it's really nice to hear back from you, how is the weather over there?"

Never spoken to him before, weird.

Please
or

BunnyBoilerRhian · 04/11/2020 00:58

I've been getting alot of these lately. Over the past 6 months I've started to follow alot more aviation/airline based accounts, mainly because I'm job hunting in that sector. I get lots of imaginary pilots requesting to follow me and some send me messages telling me how gorgeous I am Grin. Alot of these accounts are hours old, they may have uploaded photos but they're all 7 hours old kind of thing. Then they disappear free a few day .
I also get lots of Crypto currency nutters.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.